Bank didn't cancel standing order, desperate!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5402 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am foaming at the mouth here. I have a standing order that pays for a service weekly (a large sum). The service is temporarily avaialable so I have had to use a substitute. I called on monday to cancel this week's standing order. I discovered today it has NOT been cancelled. There is no record of my phone call either, surprise surprise. They can't cancel it now as it needs 48 hours before the transaction is due to cancel.

The money is due to leave my account tomorrow. I am beyond furious. If that money leaves my bank account, I'll have no money to pay for the alternative service and will be liable to a late payment charge from the service also. It will go into the bank account of the service I normally use and guess what? The person is on holiday so I won't get it back until the back end of the month!!

I plan on speaking to a supervisor tomorrow to see if they can put a stop on the transaction or request it back from the other account. Can they do this? It's their error so I would have thought they would be able or at least willing to do something about it.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

I can't see as there is a lot you can do if they are denying having received the call. Another reason why a telephone voice recorder is fast becoming a necessary peice of equipment.

I am foaming at the mouth here. I have a standing order that pays for a service weekly (a large sum). The service is temporarily avaialable so I have had to use a substitute. I called on monday to cancel this week's standing order. I discovered today it has NOT been cancelled. There is no record of my phone call either, surprise surprise. They can't cancel it now as it needs 48 hours before the transaction is due to cancel.

Now that is nonsense since they would have to have a way of knowing who accessed your account. Ask them to trace the call and listen to it. Was it direct to a branch or a central call centre?

The money is due to leave my account tomorrow. I am beyond furious. If that money leaves my bank account, I'll have no money to pay for the alternative service and will be liable to a late payment charge from the service also. It will go into the bank account of the service I normally use and guess what? The person is on holiday so I won't get it back until the back end of the month!!

You lost me on this bit but the bank will have to refund any additional costs to you as a result of their mistake. They need to investigate it properly first and reimburse you for their mistake. Keep a record of all costs you incur and what you have to do to rectify the mistake that has been made.

I plan on speaking to a supervisor tomorrow to see if they can put a stop on the transaction or request it back from the other account. Can they do this? It's their error so I would have thought they would be able or at least willing to do something about it.

Not sure on the last bit. If the SO is cancelled then it doesn't go out. If it is going to another bank account then it might go as a faster payment and therefore be credited to the other account either today or monday(or if it goes by BACS then it is Tuesday)

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

I rang up today and spoke with a lovely woman. I explained the situation and asked to speak with a supervisor or preferrably the customer services manager. I was advised that the supervisor would call me back, and requested that they take steps to trace the call I made on monday, giving the approximate time I rang them. That was at 10am. I didn't get called back. I am hoping that it will be because they are looking at the call records and not because they have no intention of calling me back. The money unfortunately has left my account. It usually appears in the other person's account on the Monday.

I explained the situation to the alternative service who was very understanding and is not going to impose a late payment charge, provided the fees are paid in full by the end of next week. I'm very fortunate that they were so understanding.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)