My last employer lied on my reference, now I cant get a job!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5403 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I left my last job because of a problem with my last employer (I was dating her best friends daughter and we broke up with no problems) Her attitude changed towards me the next day and I had to put up with personal harrasment and vindictive behavior towards me. I handed in my resignation but left before my notice was up because things got worse.

I moved house because it was affecting my personal life and applied for a new job, I had to wait 10 weeks for an uncompleted reference, I had to ring twice a day for 2 weeks to get another reference. When my prospective employer recieved it I was allowed to read it, it was complete lies, they said i was untrustworthy and dishonest. I didnt deserve this as I always worked well above my role and got on very well with everyone.

I'm still out of work and feel as though any future employer would turn me down because of this. What can I do?

I think the best thing is going to be to speak to a solicitor. I appreciate financially things may be a bit tight at the moment, but if they're using words like 'untrustworthy' and 'dishonest' then clearly they'd need to back this up with evidence. Now, I'm not saying you should take the matter to court, although clearly going by what you're saying you'd have a case to sue, but you might be able to use any advice a solicitor gives you to make them aware that you could. Each time they use those words or insinuate that about your character it's adding to potential loss of earnings, which again I think is something you'd likely be able to sue for...so hopefully it may scare them into providing an honest reference.

Remember though that this is just my opinion and I don't have a legal background to substantiate it, but if I was in your position I'd definitely be looking for a solicitor. At the very least I'd suggest getting down to your local CAB and see if they can offer any other more immediate, cheaper solutions.

Pay for a lawyer/PI to call and ask for a verbal referance, approx £50.00

Then hit them with a claim.

Dating the bosses kids or thier pals kids is a bad idea. If you broke up so ambically, get the girl to speak to her mum and call the dogs off. If she wont do it, you did'nt break up well (just a thought)