Direct Debit Guarantee - worthless?

MajorPaine
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5402 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

not sure where to post, so it's in here as it's Nationwide related.

Essentially my dilemma is this.

Southern Electric changed date of my Direct Debit without telling me, they attempt to take money, Nationwide bounce and charge me £30

Nationwide are saying it's not covered by the Direct Debit Guarantee as no money ever left my account.

Southern Electric are insisting they sent a letter informing me of the changed date. I never had that letter !!! If I had I would have told them not to take the money as at that point in the month the account is empty. Southern Electric are refusing to refund the charge, as the fact that their system shows a letter was "sent out" is enough.

So I'm between a rock & a hard place and £30 out of pocket, which at this point in time is significant to me.

HELP !!!! Who is actually responsible ?? or is this some grey area that falls outside of the Direct Debit Guarantee and just another case of organisations taking more money from those who can least afford it :roll:

Direct Debit Guarantee Scheme does not cover when a payment is bounced. It only covers you when it is PAID and there is an error. I agree with you that the DD Guarantee Scheme is flawed.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

oh well, guess I'll have to change Electricity supplier and leave a £30 balance with Southern ******* Electric

note to self - NEVER use direct debits again :cool:

Hint hint: Bank charges reclaim with bank ;)

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf