C A B Meeting

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5375 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello to all, I said that I would keep you all informed as regards my meeting with the Debt advisor from C A B.

Yesterday me and my partner visited the local CAB, I was relaxed..she nervous, the chap who we seen was so laid back it was silly, however he helped us along with various Q+A, he said that he was impressed with my knowledge of the system ( I told him why..here of course). he suggested a reduced payment plan??? then maybe an IVA, but defo not BR, unless were not bothered about loosing our home..blah..blah.

To be quite honest I thought it was a waste of time, as I get more help from 'here and you lot' than he cared to offer, we left after 25mins as he said there was nothing more he could advise..fair enough so we left, my partner sighed her relief and asked me to keep doing what I do..ie keep posting on here and acting upon advice from you the cagers.

So with that in mind, I am going D I Y with your help of course, over the next few days I shall post up my bit n bobs and see if you's can advise me further.

I would just like to say (especially to newbies) read my first post, then the others, picture if you can how i was feeling, because no matter how low you feel you are, this Forum and the people on it will guide you through all of the way, as they have done to me, I feel honoured to be a member of this site because effectivley i have been saved from a dark place I thought i was destined for, to a more calm relaxed person that i was a few year ago, with that in mind I would like to THANK YOU all for your recent help and advise..Truly Remarkable.

Speek Soon

Mr W

Regards..Mr Worried :)

Thats the thing with the CAB...whilst they are helpful/useful to certain extents - when it comes to matters of debt, they havent got a clue & just try to arrange reduced payments etc....:rolleyes:

Edited by mr.ton

Mr worried Good luck for the battles that lay ahead ,you will feel stronger the more you take control of the debts.

sleepingdog

In a positive way I,m strangley looking forward to the battles.

Cheers

Mr W

Thats the thing with the CAB...whilst the are helpful/useful to certain extents - when it comes to matters of debt, they havent got a clue & just try to arrange reduced payments etc....:rolleyes:

I agree with your comments, maybe thats why it only lasted 25 mins, and the advisor jokingley with a grin and a smirk said 'you could get a job here'

Mr W

In a positive way I,m strangley looking forward to the battles.

Cheers

Mr W

They can become tedious - but they are good when you know your in the right and they are soooooo wrong :D:D

The CAB is no substitute for good old fashioned street knowledge & knowing how the system works yourself ;)

They are mired down in paperwork/bureaucracy & having to do things by the book etc...

The CAB was the last port of call for yesteryears society were people didnt know were to turn.

Nowadays with the internet, they have many sites like this available for them 24hrs a day & with the best help you could wish for in an instant ;)

certainly no need for an IVA at this stage

Hi diddy

Is there a good time for an I V A then or if you were in my shoes, would you just do as advised from 'here' sort of suck n see scenario?

Mr W

the meaning of my comment was that there is a high likelyhood that some of the debt you refer to is not enforceable hence the need to get copies of the agreements via cca requests

cab suggesting IVA's when all this information is not to hand is premature to say the least and unfortuneately may be due to the pressure they are under to get through their case loads

I would get your cca requests off in the post today,

you may in the meantime like to say what debts your have and the amounts so that we have an idea then post the responses up as they come back

one thing is for sure- once you post those requests off YOU wlil be in control and not THEM - YOU will decide what and how you pay, and you will learn that there is no need for fear

I went to the CAB years ago when debt collectors kept phoning me asking for more money. I was struggling and they got all the debt collectors to accept £1 per month regardless of whether i owed the money or not. So i just kept making the payments until i found CAG. I have sent off several CCA requests but only 1 collector has actually supplied an enforceable agreement. I am now paying less money out for debts and i have a little more money for myself all thanks to CAG. Thanks everyone.

:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool:

Please dont write all the CAB's off, they are all different, the centre I am starting at does support challenging debts, otherwise I wouldn't be going.

Regards

David

wasn't "having a go" david just pointing out the reality

increasing case loads- not enough volunteers and as you can see by reading these forums hardly likely that those volunteers would have anywhere near enough knowledge to advise on challenging debts

good luck in your work

The CAB's are useful don't get me wrong. I did use them before i found his wonderful site. I have had to phone them a few times when i am not sure how to deal with a company and the advice is very good. The CAB i useful for people who would struggle to deal with problems like this alone. I am quite capable of dealing with Debt Collectors on my own now so i am taking the pressure off the CAB by doing the job myself.

Edited by Blondmusic
Typing too fast to spell properly!!
:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool:

I have used the CAB in the past for debt problems and found the advice OK at the time but looking back was glad that I did not take all of it as gospel as I would not still be in my home, I have used them since then for other matters and have welcomed the advice, as uptotheneck has already stated it does depend on where you live and what knowledge the volunteers have . I think all of us on this site have become much more knowledgeable towards debt and how to deal with it that it is easy to wrongly critisise the lack of knowledge that some CAB volunteers have , I would like to think that sometime in the future when I have finally defeated debt that I will have enough time on my hands to volunteer my services to help the CAB and in turn bring the knowledge found on this site to help others who have heard of the CAB and not yet found CAG. I am glad that there are organisations out there to listen to and help people in debt that includes CAB, CAG, CCCS ,Debtline and many others for without them many people in debt would be helpless towards the evil ways of DCAs.

sleepingdog

dont think anyone is critcising the people concerned- just stating the obvious fact that by and large (unless they are studying consumer law or contributing to a site such as this) they do not have the knowledge to advise on challenging debt

their primary purpose is to help people manage their debt and not to legally challenge it- nothing wrong with that

just that some people as a result wil be paying debts that they otherwise might not need to pay

if they don't come on sites like these then they will be blissfully unaware of that fact anyway

the meaning of my comment was that there is a high likelyhood that some of the debt you refer to is not enforceable hence the need to get copies of the agreements via cca requests

cab suggesting IVA's when all this information is not to hand is premature to say the least and unfortuneately may be due to the pressure they are under to get through their case loads

I would get your cca requests off in the post today,

you may in the meantime like to say what debts your have and the amounts so that we have an idea then post the responses up as they come back

one thing is for sure- once you post those requests off YOU wlil be in control and not THEM - YOU will decide what and how you pay, and you will learn that there is no need for fear

Wonderfull comments, thankyou I will keep you informed.

Mr W