style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4050 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

In November 2007 I sold a car to a local dealers as I was about to receive a company car. The relevant sections of the registration form were completed and sent to the DVLA. A few weeks later I received a cheque from the DVLA for the unexpired portion of road tax on the car I had sold.

A few months after that I received a letter from them stating I had not informed them of the sale and they were fining me. About £90 IIRC. I don't have the docs to hand. I contacted them and told them I had sent the proper documents. They claimed they hadn't received them. I told them I wasn't paying.

A month or so later I got a letter from a DCA with their charges on top. I think this takes the fine up to about £190. I contacted them, explained the situation and told them I wouldn't be paying. This was around April 2008 and I hadn't heard anything since.

Yesterday I get a letter from the DCA again (Moorcroft) saying they're still after the money.

Now either the documents I sent off got lost in the mail or they've just buggered it up at their end but either way I've done nothing wrong and I'm not forking out almost £200!

What are my options here and are the DVLA and/or DCA likely to pursue this through the courts?

In November 2007 I sold a car to a local dealers as I was about to receive a company car. The relevant sections of the registration form were completed and sent to the DVLA. A few weeks later I received a cheque from the DVLA for the unexpired portion of road tax on the car I had sold.

A few months after that I received a letter from them stating I had not informed them of the sale and they were fining me. About £90 IIRC. I don't have the docs to hand. I contacted them and told them I had sent the proper documents. They claimed they hadn't received them. I told them I wasn't paying.

A month or so later I got a letter from a DCA with their charges on top. I think this takes the fine up to about £190. I contacted them, explained the situation and told them I wouldn't be paying. This was around April 2008 and I hadn't heard anything since.

Yesterday I get a letter from the DCA again (Moorcroft) saying they're still after the money.

Now either the documents I sent off got lost in the mail or they've just buggered it up at their end but either way I've done nothing wrong and I'm not forking out almost £200!

What are my options here and are the DVLA and/or DCA likely to pursue this through the courts?

See some of the threads in the DVLA section of the board. These will explain the situation.

Basically, if you sent the details off - and you did since you received the refund - then you rely on s.7 of the Interpretation Act 1978 and tell them that you decline their invitation of a fixed penalty and wish the matter heard by a Magistrates' Court. They will not take the matter to Court as they will lose.