Small inaccuracy on parking ticket

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5401 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I got my first ever parking ticket yesterday!

Sadly I am not optimistic as it was in a proper council car park and not a PPC.

I actually bought a valid ticket and displayed it on my dashboard, but as I was in a rush I think when I closed the car door I annoyingly didn't check and the ticket must have blown over to its other side from the force of closing the door, as this is how it was when I got back to the car later. The warden even saw me buy the ticket and put it on my dashboard but obviously went and checked when I'd gone.

There is an inconsistency though and I was wondering if it would be enough to make it unenforceable?

My car is very clearly green, but on the PCN the colour is marked as "grey". All other details are correct though, i.e. location, car make and number plate, so I'm resigned to having to pay. Thought I'd check with you guys anyway just in case.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tom.

The colour of the vehicle is not a requirement for a PCN. However if that information is wrong then other details may be wrong as well.

I would post up a copy of the PCN so it can be checked for anything that may give you an out.

Councils are supposed to use their discretion and have been known to cancel PCN's in circumstances such as yours.

I would write to them explaining what you think happened, enclose a copy of your P&D ticket and ask them to use their discretion and cancel the PCN.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it would be worth writing to the council and show them the ticket (or a copy of it) and explain why it was not on display. You obviously paid to park and they would probably accept your explanation. The same thing happened to me years ago and the council dropped the fine.

Good luck.

jed

My local authoriy used to throw out any case where the colour was clearly wrong. If it was a grey-green car, they would enforce, but if it was bright green, they would cancel in a situation like this.

I would appeal it as suggested above, but round off with a sentence saying you also challenge the validity of the PCN. There's no harm in trying it in addition to explaining the circumstances, although I would not rely on the colour issue alone.

Problem is that the penalty is not for not having a vaild ticket, it is for not correctly displaying one.

Colour - Grey is the very next colour to green on their ticket issuing machine. Probably hit the wrong one. I very much doubt if you will get off it, but it is incorrect.

My local authoriy used to throw out any case where the colour was clearly wrong. If it was a grey-green car, they would enforce, but if it was bright green, they would cancel in a situation like this.

The car is a dark green, could be confused for black or blue but definitely not grey. Still, it was 10am so no excuses for consusing the colour! Thanks wheelergeezer, yeah I thought that was the most likely thing they must have done by accident.

I will put up an image of the PCN when I can find it again under my heap of more important paperwork!