advice in what to put in letter to debt collector

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5398 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm slowly sorting out my debts and am in the process of writing afew letters to numerous debt collectors offering small token payments can anybody offer me some advice in what i should put as i don't want to get it wrong.

Thanks

I've tried looking in the letter templates but can't find anything.:confused:

Its for a debt with bt,long story i changed supplier was told by bt that my contract was up in afew weeks so went ahead with switch.Then found out that my fone line rental was for 12 mths but my broadband was a 18 mth contract and this debt is for ending broadband contract early,contacted bt and was told that as it had been passed onto dc that there was nothing they could do.Even though this is all there fault.i thought i was doing the right thing by phoning them to check first but obviously i was wrong.

I'm only owning up to pay this debt because they've threatened to add on almost £70 in charges etc and can't afford to allow this debt to get any bigger.I've only ever spoken to them once on the phone to dispute this debt.But i can't see anyway of getting out of it.

Why don't you send all your debtors a CCA letter.

Then the one's that can't produce a CCA don't pay them, the one's that do send one check the CCA first to make sure it is what they say it is and was signed/dated by you, and if it is the real thing then offer only small payments.

Chances are that if you have 10 debts to pay off 7 of them will not have a CCA or one that can be produced in court.

Will save you loads of money in the long run.

OK

Don't ring them anymore... make sure everything is in writing. How has the DCA been communicating with you?

Do you have a contract for the account? Who is threatening to add on the charges and on what basis? Are these charges set out in a contract?

Before you write any letters, make sure you are in full command of all the facts about what you owe and what they can do. Don't give in to being bullied:)

Thanks anyway,I've steered well clear of credit cards and the one credit company i do owe i'm on top of my debts with them.

Its debts from other addresses i've lived at over the last five years which are coming back to haunt me most i don't even owe them the money they say i do.

One more thing i've noticed recently that i've severne trent water have applied a debt on my credit file which is for an old address,i wasn't living there at the time they say the debt is for so i'm in the process of disputing are they allowed to do this,they put this on my file in 2006.Can i do anything about this to get it off?

I phoned them because the letter they sent me stated it was for bt and as i wasn't aware of a debt with them i wanted to know what the hell it was for.

Had a very quick conversation with them disputed this debt and told them i'd be contacting bt myself.i did and was told by bt they would contact the dc for me to arrange a payment plan.Didn't hear anything for afew weeks then got a letter off a solicitor saying if i didn't pay with'n 7 days they would seek further costs and would take me to court.

Not sure on what to do next.

ok lets try and get a lid on this.

no dca can add charges or interest fullstop!

can you give a full breakdown/story on this debt with BT,

you indicate its by default because you cancelled BT BB early?

thats not true either.

if its wescott and their in house sol, they take it with a pinch of salt.

please remember that NO DCA, nor their 'in-house' solicitor HAVE ANY LEGAL POWERS!!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I have no idea what the full brekdown of this debt is.

I got a final bill from bt for about 39.00 for calls made.Paid this.

Then heard nothing for about 3 months

Then got a letter from wescott saying i owed bt just under £200.So i phoned bt and the told me it was for bb rental for ending contract early,which worked out at around £30.00 a month.I ended the contract in feb,and the contract wasn't due to end until august so i've been charged 6 mths rental charges.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...