• Tweets

• Hello We have an issue with our Double glazing I will try and detail the issue we have. We moved into our property in January 2017 and against our solicitor's advice (that double glazing warranties are not worth the paper they are printed on) we transferred what we thought was the warranty into our name. We now know that we only transferred the insurance on that warranty. Toward the end of 2020 we were finding it  difficult to keep our living space warm and having checked that the trickle vents and windows were closed properly, we discovered that the wind was coming in through most of the cover strips on the windows and where it meets the walls and sill also light could be seen from outside through the cover plates, I confirmed this with a candle flame which bent at 90 degrees such was the draught, thinking that this was a small failure of the adhesive in the trim I wiped it back to see if any remedial work could be done and the trim came away, at that point it became obvious that the aluminium support and unit joining bar, had been installed off centre, so the trim had been butchered to make it just cover the gap but not enable a seal.  15th January I contacted the installing company by phone who having found the original file informed me that the warranty was not in my name and I would need to pay £150 to transfer it, this was confirmed in an email, and that once paid, a surveyor would be sent to assess the windows and ensure that they had been properly maintained,  if they felt that work would be required, the parts would be obtained and the work carried out, I felt that without giving the company the opportunity to rectify the problem we could not move forward so payment for the Warranty transfer was made the same day. 19th January surveyor arrived to assess the windows and having looked at the problems agreed that it needed rectifying, he told me he would report back. 22nd January an email arrived at my email address with the previous owners names attached, informing us that the parts had been ordered and usually take 1-3 weeks, once they have been received we will be contacted to arrange a date to carry out the remedial work. Should the parts take longer than usual I will be contacted to advise. 15th March I emailed Holly Baldwin, SEHBAC Customer Service Administrator and asked to be brought up to date on the progress of the replacement parts, I informed her that to gain some relief from the draughts coming through the windows, I had taped over all joins and whilst this had offered some respite, the tape at times acted like a reed and it sounded like the wind section of an orchestra tuning up, which was not comfortable. 18th March I received a reply stating that having to work with skeleton staff in the factories was building on the backlog they were currently having, if they get a date from the supplier, they would be in contact, if not they would be in touch once they have received the parts to book a remedial with their engineer, they have had some progress getting orders in recently. I was thanked for my patience. We are now 9 weeks since last contact, and 18 weeks since the surveyor decided that remedial work was required, and to exacerbate the issue with the winds we have had over the last few months it has become clear that the seals around other double-glazed units installed at the same time have failed and what we thought was household dust was in fact brick dust blown in through the gaps. I would like to know what my next move should be, should I have all units independently assessed, should I approach the ombudsman. any advice would be gratefully received as we are spending extra to keep the property warm. and at this stage have lost a further £150.
    • not sure if that attached, sorry n244 edited.pdf
    • i know but they scare me and letters like this scare me even though i know I've been paying what i was told so they can't do much at moment can they? thats all i am asking ... a little bit of reassurance , i do suffer with horrendous anxiety   i want rid of it and to pay it off , but i don't understand that i won't be left with a balance still as I've had it since 2007 and apparently ill be paying £143,000 back on a £30,000 loan. Well i won't have paid that much back so they can turn round and say i still owe a lot can't they? even with fees taken off? I've been paying since 2007   where do i find this CISHEET
    • any fixed sum fee like letter/phone/arrears/debt collection/debt management/debt visit etc..... you'll spot them.   we've been trying to get you to do this for 13yrs now..since post 1    
    • Yes I am more than happy with this if you feel its a better approach   the name was Tony O'Donnell which i can amend                                                                   
  • Our picks

• Ebay Packlink and Hermes - destroyed item as it was "damaged". https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/430396-ebay-packlink-and-hermes-destroyed-item-as-it-was-damaged/&do=findComment&comment=5087347
      • 33 replies
    • I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
  • Recommended Topics

Am I Correct In Claiming These Charges?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5393 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

I would just like to be 100% sure on bank charges I am about to got to court to claim on-can I claim for unpaid direct debit charges levied to my account even though I did not have an overdraft facility? ``I`M sure I have not read this wrong

but just want to be certain.

TIA Mikeb

Mike

can I claim for unpaid direct debit charges levied to my account even though I did not have an overdraft facility?

YES

Charlie

Nationwide Total settlement for first claim £810.92 (Charges £570.00) total charges £2579.00 (Another 4 claims to make)

Tesco personal Finance -NO penalty charges see post end thread

Egg DPA complaint sent to ICO see thread

Egg also trying to get defaults removed

Abbey National/MBNA credit Card - Eventually settled in FULL:)

Citibank Preliminary sent 19/08/06

MBNA DPA sent 30/07/06

Mrs CharlieHo v Providian DPA sent 30/07/06

MORE TO FOLLOW

Advice & opinions of CharlieHo are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.