• Tweets

• They have defended the claim by saying that the job was of unsatisfactory standard and they had to call another carpenter to remedy. My husband has text messages about them losing the keys a second time and also an email. What do they hope to achieve??? Most importantly,  as far as I have seen online, now I need to wait for paperwork from the court, correct?
    • The Notice to Hirer does not comply with the protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule  4 . This is before I ask if Europarks have sent you a copy of the PCN they sent to Arval along with a copy of the hire agreement et. if they haven't done that either you are totally in the clear and have nothing to worry about and nothing to pay. The PCN they have sent you is supposed to be paid by you according to the Act within 21 days. The chucklebuts have stated 28 days which is the time that motorists have to pay. Such a basic and simple thing . The Act came out in 2012 and still they cannot get it right which is very good news for you. Sadly there is no point in telling them- they won't accept it because they lose their chance to make any money out of you. they are hoping that by writing to you demanding money plus sending in their  unregulated debt collectors and sixth rate solicitors that you might be so frightened as to pay them money so that you can sleep at night. Don't be surprised if some of their letters are done in coloured crayons-that's the sort of  level of people you will be dealing with. Makes great bedding for the rabbits though. Euro tend not to be that litigious but while you can safely ignore the debt collectors just keep an eye out for a possible Letter of Claim. They are pretty rare but musn't be ignored. Let us know so that you can send a suitably snotty letter to them showing that you are not afraid of them and are happy to go to Court as you like winning.  
    • They did reply to my defence stating it would fail and enclosed copies of NOA, DN Term letter and account statements. All copies of T&C's that could be reconstructions and the IP address on there resolves to the town where MBNA offices are, not my location
    • Here are 7 of our top tips to help you connect with young people who have left school or otherwise disengaged.View the full article
    • My defence was standard no paperwork:   1.The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 2. Paragraph 1 is noted. The Defendant has had a contractual relationship with MBNA Limited in the past. The Defendant does not recognise the reference number provided by the claimant within its particulars and has sought verification from the claimant who is yet to comply with requests for further information. 3. Paragraph 2 is denied. The Defendant maintains that a default notice was never received. The Claimant is put to strict proof to that a default notice was issued by MBNA Limited and received by the Defendant. 4. Paragraph 3 is denied. The Defendant is unaware of any legal assignment or Notice of Assignment allegedly served from either the Claimant or MBNA Limited. 5. On the xx/xx/2023 the Defendant requested information pertaining to this claim by way of a CCA 1974 Section 78 request. The claimant is yet to respond to this request. On the xx/xx/2023 a CPR 31.14 request was sent to Kearns who is yet to respond. To date, xx/xx/2023, no documentation has been received. The claimant remains in default of my section 78 request. 6. It is therefore denied with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant, the Claimant has failed to provide any evidence of proof of assignment being sent/ agreement/ balance/ breach or termination requested by CPR 31.14, therefore the Claimant is put to strict proof to: (a) show how the Defendant entered into an agreement; and (b) show and evidence the nature of breach and service of a default notice pursuant to Section 87(1) CCA1974 (c) show how the claimant has reached the amount claimed for; and (d) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim; 7. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed. 8. On the alternative, as the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82A of the consumer credit Act 1974. 9. By reasons of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Old Debts

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5275 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone ,

I am new to the forum but I have a few old debts which still hang over me since my divorce in 1995.

(a) I have a credit card debt for £3000 with Capital One and sold on to Capquest. I have made a nominal pay to Capquest since 1996 and still receive letters threating to take me to court and/or sen in the bailiffs. The default no longer shows on my credit so my questions are:- should I try to reclaim bank charges and how could i get the debt cancelled. I am 64 years old and am no longer able to work due to disability.

(b) I have a credit card debt with RBS for £5000 which was sold to Wescot who issued a default notice. The default should be removed in December this year. If I started the process for reclaiming bank charges can they keep my default on file after December or could they persue me for the outstanding balance. How could I go about getting this debt cancelled.

I would appreciate any advice to help me get rid of these debts.

Loring

Hello and Welcome, loring.

I'll move this thread to the appropriate Forum.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Send them both a CCA request to see whether these alleged debts are indeed enforceable http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/581-cca-request-letter my bet is they're not ;)

If they're not you do not have to continue paying anything.

Once the default is six years old it will drop off your file & they cannot add a second one.

Send them both a CCA request to see whether these alleged debts are indeed enforceable http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/581-cca-request-letter my bet is they're not ;)

If they're not you do not have to continue paying anything.

Once the default is six years old it will drop off your file & they cannot add a second one.

and put out of your mind their threats about sending in baliffs- this CANNOT be done without first obtaining a court judgement and only then if you fail to comply to the courts orders as to how you will pay (usually by small instalments)

Loring, sorry if this appears personal but do you have any asset to protect.... property etc?

As you are a youngster you may be best suited to looking for a write off - have effected same for my mother.

If you are aware of charges DSAR them, understood if this is to much for you and you are from the era of trust for the bankers. Sometimes it can appear to be a lot of work for very little return..... do you have a son or daughter that could act for you as its a long winded process and enough to make a saint swear at times when you should be enjoying the fruits of a lifetimes work.

Mum was far too trusting with some of the toerag DCA's.... not that I'm saying service any old debts but who the hell is going to spend £1500.00 bankrupting a pensioner with no assets.............If you have ANY property get some guidance first, if you have children that you love and cherish it may be advisable to transfer to them now. Please, please, please seek some local guidance and act accordingly. Do not be intimidated by an 'adviser' who does not speak a common language with you and knows sod all beyond the latest weather news and script for eastenders.

Above all, take care and do not be intimidated by these idiots

Regards

Gezwee

Edited by gezwee

Hi gezew

Thanks for your post.

The only asset which I will have is my personal pension which I could take in 2 years time .Currently the fund is valued around £150,000. However I fear that if the Banks/DCA's become aware of this they would attempt to take it from me. I am unsure exactly of what the law on this is but I suspect it might favour the Banks. I have 2 children still in education and would obviously like to be in a position to assist them financially rather than help the Banks/DCA's. This is the reason I wish to sort out what to do about the old debts.

Loring

Could someone clarify the situation with respect to bank charges. I have 2 defaulted credit cards, I dont think I had any charges on them until I defaulted. Since the default it appears that each year the debt on each account goes up but I was told the interest was on hold. So are these some sort of charge either levied by Capital One Bank/Capquest and Wescot who state they have bought the other Debt from RBS debt in total. If this is the case am I allowed to claim back these charges. Please note these were only applied after I defaulted on the payments. I am still waiting for the CCA'S but should I proceed with SAR'S to confirm what the charges are. Looking through the forum I am am not sure if I will ever get the CCA'S as the cards were taken out around 1995. I dont want to spend £20.00 for SAR'S if there are no contracts

Be glad to have some advice.

Hi Loring

1.Pension fund, assume this is annuity purchase. Returns are pretty poor at the moment and you'll possibly be looking to take close to maximum lump sum at earliest opportunity. Would suggest it would be prudent for you to take some legal guidance on this matter. I am unsure if they could seek any security against the fund as it stands but best guess is that they would look to seek a charge over any future benefit it provides.

2.Credit cards - given the age of the accounts its probable that the original creditor will have destroyed history by now so SAR will throw up nothing in your favour, never say never though,so if you do want to invest the £20.00 and can afford it it wouldnt do any harm.

I think you will need to SAR the DCA's involved as this will highlight where the charges have arisen from - could honestly be anything, some seem to infer that interest has halted but it suddenly reappears from day 1 on reaching litigation.

Hopefully, unless you signed anything from the DCA's, the OC having destroyed your history file would not have passed anything remotely resembling an agreement to them. Would sit tight and wait, if they come back with nothing they can ask for nothing.

Good luck

Gezwee

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I have received this letter from Wescot after I sent them a CCA request and a SAR about an old account I had with Goldfish. I enclosed the ststutory fees when I wrote to them. When I could not pay the required monthly payments to Goldfish they agreed a much reduced payment but then they closed the account and sold the debt to Wescot. Wescott immediately put a default notice on my credit file although I still made the reduced monthly payment to them.

It would appear from the Wescot's letter they have no information on the account and all they have sent me is a statement showing how much I have paid them since 2005.

I wouls appreciate some feedback from the experienced posters on the forum as to how I should respond to the letter. I would like to tell them payments to them are now ended are now finished and I wish to reclaim bank charges.

I attach a copy of the 2 page letter

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/8761/img007mvh.jpg

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/8317/img006i.jpg

Hi

Goldfish assigned the debt in total to Wescot who wrote to me in 2003 to say that all payments, correspondence and queries had to be sent to them. One of the requests I made to Wescot's was to supply me a copy of the deed of assignment so that I could confirm they now actually owned the debt as they previously told me.

Should I now send another SAR to Goldfish

Loring

Hi

Thats interesting since the 6years runs out in November this year should I let things be till Goldfish get rid of the information they may have and then the debt would become unenforcable as no one would have any records

Loring

Yes because they would not have passed that data to Wescot, Goldfish are required to keep the information for six years after the a/c is closed under the Data Protection & the Money Laundering Acts.

Pity, that RBS do not follow these rules!!!!

AC

Hi Loring

I'd be inclined to use the address listed on the information commissioners website. It is incumbent upon all data controllers to notify the ICO of any changes of address.

Pretty sure Goldfish is just a Barclaycard trading name now.

Just had a look and the ICO sites down until Monday the 10th August. Wouldnt do any harm to call them on 01625 545740 to confirm you have the correct address.

Gezwee

Loring

Meant to add.......... Try reading through Wescotts response again -

No, they do not have a compliant agreement, regardless of Eggs duties to year 6 do you not find it odd that on transfer of all rights during 2003 Wescotts did not request copy to allow them to enjoy future rights?

It is only your goodwill to date that has allowed them to enjoy any collection activity.

Old statements........... old hat, they always throw this one in - what old statements have you received, what evidence is there to support this?

Deed of assignment..... you can only usually press for this at court, best to ask for notice of assignment in SAR.

I think you need to take a step back and look at everything carefully, if a stranger writes and asks for money every month but cannot provide evidence of debt would you be so quick to pay them?

Be assured this won't go away, like most DCA's they'll keep on and on, very much depends on you and how you react to threats from nobodies.

As you've already stated, you have nothing they can seek security of.

You only have to note their cringeworthy begging request for your signature to understand what they are all about......... they've corresponded with you and taken your money since 2003 but at the first sign that you may be fighting back they need your signature!!

Up to you how you play it, if its a case of a £1.00 a month for a quiet life and no expectation of litigation by all means carry on. If on the other hand its constant threats and pressure to pay more to a debt which legally may not exist you need to ask yourself if you are up the task of contradicting their every correspondence and being assured enough to put the phone down on them every time they call.

Gezwee

Hi Gezwee

I will continue to pay them the nominal £2.00 per month and if they start pushing again for more money or a settlement I will go for unenforceability with no money because I dont think the agreement will be found

Loring

Hi Loring

Don't think anybody would fault you for taking this stance.

Its a minimal sum for a minimal risk and at your tender years I'd be inclined to take the soft option too.

If you ever feel threatened get straight back on here or PM me and I'll help you set the world to rights :grin:

Don't forget to protect that pension fund and seek some guidance, last thing I want is to see the kids suffer because of a greedy DCA sneaking in by the backdoor....... pretty sure its a simple sign off to secure any future benefit to the kids but ask fund manager/s for info and they'll happily supply.

Hi

I requested a copy of my credit agreement form Mint (RBS).I have received this letter and the attachments which are attached. The letter is written in language which I find difficult to interpret.I think they are saying that this is the copy of the original agreement. I have made some observations which are as follows:

The page which looks like an application form appears to have banner at the top which shows a Visa box on one side and RBS Advanta box on the other side. If you look closely at this area of the form you can see a faint line accross the page which suggests that maybe this section has been cut and pasted on the form. The print in the bottom left hand side of the form is minute an blurred, but with a magnifying glass it reads in the Data Protection that this is a "form" whilst inthe box below that it states that it is a credit agreement. Can this page be both things.

The other pages of terms and conditions appear to be dated around 2005 as the credit limit quoted £6100 was the limit at that time. The print on these documents is also minuteand blurred, but with a magnifying glass I can see terms and interest rates which look like the prescribed terms. I need someone to look at the this and if possible confirm whether it is indeed a true copy of the origanal agreement. My signature and the other information given by me on the "application" is all correct.

I also note that 2 pages of the terms are copied in landscape and look like they are part of a brochure which is folded 3 times, while the other 2 pages are printed in portrait and come from another document.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/317/img015o.jpg

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/2159/img016g.jpg

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8413/img017g.jpg

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/7877/img018e.jpg

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/4248/img019k.jpg

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/6382/img020ywo.jpg

Hi Loring

Looks like an application form to me but I'm no expert on your position with this.

Best bet would be to PM one of the site team to bring to their attention or try creditcardmug who's pretty good at this stuff.

Personally, I know what I would do but whats good for me may not be suitable for you or your circumstances.

Whatever happens at least you have found this site so know your rights and can stand up for yourself.

Hope you get the answers you need and wish you the best of luck with whatever choices you make.

• 2 months later...

Hi

I have been making token payments of £2.00 per month on my RBS credit card for 4 years. Every 6 months they ask me to complete a financial statement, which I do. I have now received a letter from them asking for a financial statement, a medical certificate and my mobile phone number. Do I have to provide them this information.

Loring