• Tweets

• Hi all, We bought a part to fix our washing machine approx 13 months ago direct from the manufacturer of the washing machine via phone. This part then failed 13 months later, as confirmed by their own engineer, who was sent by the manufacturer (who is also the retailer for the part) FoC. The engineer actually installed a replacement part, the machine came back to life, but they then removed the part as "we would be charged for it". The retailer are refusing to replace the part, stating that they only warranty parts for 90 days. When I stated that I believed the Consumer Rights Act gives me longer than that, they insinuated that it did not, and this was repeated by many representatives. AIUI for goods bought more than 6 months ago, I need to get an engineers report to confirm the part has failed? Or that it has failed due to manufacturing issues? Or would the companies own engineers report suffice? Thanks, GH
    • Thank you for that "read me", It's a lot to digest, lots of legal procedure. There was one thing that I was going to mention to you,  but in one of the conversations in that thread it was mentioned that there may be spies on the Forum,  this is something that I've read quite some time ago in a previous thread. What I had in mind was to wait for the thirty days after their reply to my CCA request and then send the unenforceable letter. I was hoping that an absence of signature could be the Silver Bullet but it seems that there are lot of layers to peel on this Onion.  
    • love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Charging order ADVICE NEEDED?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5376 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All, maybe you can help, I had a car on finance, my wife (now ex) had the car in spain, it got compunded and wasnt returned, the finance company, ADVANTAGE FINANCE decided to proceed with a CCJ for £10k, they got it as I admitted it as it was in my name, I was ordered to pay them £20 a month, I have been doing and kept the judgement up to date, they have now requested a charging order on my property, they say the reason is non payments, my bank statements say otherwise, can they do this? I have lodged a defense but they have LIED to the court to get this and im worried of the outcome.

Any advise asap would be appreciated.

Kevin, have you received anything from the Land Registry to say that a restriction has been placed on your property.

This is done in two steps firstly the Claimants will have had to make an application to the court.

Secondly I think it is about 6 weeks later a court hearing will take place.

Have you received notification of the hearing from the court. At this point and 7 days before the hearing lodge a witness statement with the court showing all your payments a bank statement will suffice and why a charging order should not take place ie you have children if you have, you are in negative equity etc.

I was also in that situation and the solicitors tried to deceive the court saying there was no instalment order in place only a judgment forthwith which clearly was a lie. I was up to date with my payments and turned up at court, the judge read my statement and threw their case out after reading a fax from them the court had received that morning saying they could not attend as they didn't know when the hearing was!

Have you received their application yet?

Come back with more details so people can help.

HH

HI YES, I got the docs from land registry, the full hearing is tommorrow morning, ive put a defence in already but from what I gather as I have maintained the payments on the CCJ and theyre excuse is I have made payments which is a LIE I am wondering if there is any last minute advice before i attend court?

Kevin, have you received anything from the Land Registry to say that a restriction has been placed on your property.

This is done in two steps firstly the Claimants will have had to make an application to the court.

Secondly I think it is about 6 weeks later a court hearing will take place.

Have you received notification of the hearing from the court. At this point and 7 days before the hearing lodge a witness statement with the court showing all your payments a bank statement will suffice and why a charging order should not take place ie you have children if you have, you are in negative equity etc.

I was also in that situation and the solicitors tried to deceive the court saying there was no instalment order in place only a judgment forthwith which clearly was a lie. I was up to date with my payments and turned up at court, the judge read my statement and threw their case out after reading a fax from them the court had received that morning saying they could not attend as they didn't know when the hearing was!

Have you received their application yet?

Come back with more details so people can help.

HH

Kevin have they written to you explaining this. Are you 100% sure that you have not missed any payments? Sorry I am not doubting you but even if you were say a couple of days late these b*****ds will go for the kill.

What did they put in their application ie judgment forthwith or that you have missed your installment payments.

Is it possible you could post up your defence (without details of course). To see if we can add any further information for you when you attend court tomorrow.

This is from Section 86(1) of the County Courts Act 1984 which print and take with you.

' Where the court has made an order for payment of any sum of money by instalments, execution on the order shall not be issued until after default in payment of some instalment according to the order '

This was further considered in the case of Mercantile Credit v Ellis in The Court of Appeal 1987. It was found that the wording of the Charging Orders Act states quite clearly that no further action could be taken without a default in payment.

I researched that case for hours just so I was sure what I was talking about.

Keep posting so that others will see your post.

BTW when you win tomorrow:D ask the Judge for cost from the other side.

I will keep looking in to see if others have posted.

HH

Kevin,

Also had another thought, ask them at the hearing for a full statement. Ask them to show you and the judge where a payment has been missed etc. You can then show your statements showing otherwise.

HH

hi there, the judgement was made on March 31st, I made payment on 17th April and may and june and july, the 1st payment was to be made by the END of april, I rang them this morning and they more or less said that the payment had crossed which is a lie because my bank emailed me today and confirmed the other bank received the money I sent them 4 DAYS after 17th april, the action was raised 8th May, they claim I missed two payments, I dont know how this could be as the 2nd payment wasnt due until the end of may 09, there action was started 8th may so the 2nd payment wasnt even due by the time they started this action.

Advantage also told me that they want some form of security as paying £20 a month on a £10k judgement will take 38years, the national debt helpline told me that isnt an issue as the CCJ is their security as they dont have the car now, I am also on DLA and paying £20 a month is a lot for me, I think they are going to use tactics im not sure about and dont want them to win at all, but they have also LIED on their "statement of truth", which I think is contempt of court and on top of that they have given me severe grief over this matter.

HELP!!

Let's just say I am paying less than you (that is what the court and I agreed on) and it will take me 48 years to pay off so don't worry about that. Whose to say that you might come in to some money next week and want to pay the lot off. It is not up to anyone else but the court to decide what you should pay.

sorry no, only the case number and the amount but i rang the court that issued the CCJ and they advised me the 1st payment was due end of april and the judgement was given 31st March 09, i recall it stating to pay £20 a month which advantage finance AGREED to at the time the ccj was issued.

What time is your hearing tomorrow. If you can go to the court earlier and get a copy of the judgment just to make sure.

Can I just go back a few steps. Right you received claim form, you did not defend and it was ordered that you pay £20 per month is that right or did you offer £20.

A court order is just that Advantage have no sway in agreeing or disagreeing to what a court orders.

Can anyone else help on this.

Back in a mo.

HH

I submitted details of my financial position proving my income and expenditure and proving details of my disability living allowance etc, when the document came through from the court, I completed it and OFFERED £20 a month which is what I offered as I thought anything less wouldnt be acceptable but I couldnt offer any more, I trust the judge read it and accepted my offer based on my financial position?

Im now getting worried between the difference of me offering this £20 a month to the court which they accepted and the difference of a court ordering the £20 a month, you are correct, I did NOT defend the claim form I admitted it and offered the £20 a mth?

Yes, Kevin that means that Advantage agreed to the £20. Did you complete the court form showing your income etc. It only goes to the court then for sealing say. Advantage have already accepted your £20 per month.

I also did not defend offered £20 they refused, I went to court armed with my I & E and also sent it to the court, in the end they only got £14 per month, they were too greedy in the end.

did you know you can apply for a variation of the court order especially if your income or your benefits have decreased but we we can cross that bridge after tomorrow.

HH

funny you should mention that, as from 11th of this month I will be getting my payments from the govt as a single person which means my money will be less, more worrying, can THEY apply for a varying order as well to claim the lot and then reapply for a charging order tommorrow?

What do you think my chances are of winning this case and also can i get them for CONTEMPT of court as they have given me sleepness nights over this and they are trying to make an example of me, I dont want them to get away with it, even if I win, what right do they have to just take me to court and LIE about it????

I wouldn't like to say "oh yes you will win" but all I can say is that as I have said before be polite - don't lose your temper and arm yourself with everything that you could possibly need - don't forget that copy judgment from the court. Get all your bank statements together highlighting the payments showing that you are up to date - make copies, one for the judge and one for the other side and yourself of course. You may find as I did that they will want to speak to you before the hearing just listen and give them a copy of your bank statements and also a copy of the case I have mentioned to you.

The other side will probably speak first and then judge will address you to answer what has been said.

I know I was petrified but I was lucky the other side did not show up and I just went before the judge, explained I was up to date and hey presto.

I can't see what their defence is and I know how annoyed you must feel like I did. You never know they might not turn up - this is their deceitfullness showing through really they hope you don't but you must to give your side of a very clear and winnable argument.

BTW have they sent you a statement of their costs yet - they should have done this 7 days ago!

If you win, don't forget to ask the judge for your costs, he might just say £50 but take it and run/

Others will probably reply to you later.

Don't panic it is just a little room you go into.

Good luck I will think of you tomorrow - it is just a shame you are not local to me - although I don't know where your court is - as I would have taken a couple of hours off to support you but I know you will be fine. Chin up

HH

Okay, well well well, I attended court today and I informed the judge that I had made the payments and had shown evidence of this, as such the judge replied that the case be dismissed, HOWEVER, i didnt leave it there, I stated to the judge that as the company ADVANTAGE FINANCE IN GRIMSBY had indeed LIED on the form under the county court act, that when a "statement of truth" is signed, the person signing it believes that everything stated is TRUE, failure to comply is a criminal offence and can lead to "Contempt" of court, the judge AGREED with me that this is indeed true and MADE them APOLOGISE to me there and then otherwise they would allow a "contempt" to go through, they also awarded my ALL my costs and WARNED "ADVANTAGE FINANCE", that if they EVER lie again or dont get their accounts in order, the court will proceed with contempt, the guy from ADVANTAGE FINANCE after he "s**t himself apologiszed, he may have knew he never had a case but he didnt expect to nearly get done for CONTEMPT of court and I said to him outside the court, if they EVER pull a stunt like that again and try and use the courts to get in the back door I WOULD TAKE PRIVATE LEGAL ACTION, they said they will never do it again, No charge on my house and the statement of the Mercantile Credit VS Ellis was a MAJOR factor to the judge!!

THANK YOU for the advice!!

Kevin,

Well done.

I am so pleased for you. Doesn't it make you feel great about it, when you walk out of court knowing you have pulled down a big organisation.

Just remember, never forget or make a payment late, you now know what these b*****ds are like.

Congratulations and now that you have that experience look in on other Caggers who might possibly be going through the same thing.

Glad to have helped.

HH