CEL Now Newlyn Letter for Payment

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5253 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

A while a go I got this parking ticket for parking in KFC too long with my friends;

snc00176.jpg

I was told to ignore it as non council tickets can't be enforced. Well just today I have received this one;

snc00176.jpg

It looks like they have contracted it out to someone else with an even more extortionate fee. Is this legal and is there anything I could/should do?

Thanks all.

Edited by AmDaMan
privacy

Amdaman, you have left too much usable info showing on that invoice. I suggest you delete them off now and reload one without any personal details showing. (or maybe a mod can do it if he is offline)

• 1 month later...

I have just recieved another letter from them instructing me to pay within 14 days or the bayliffs may come round and I will be taken to court!

How likely is this to happen and how do I stop them from hassling me?

Crem, what usable information have I left on?

thanks

If you search around on these forums and others you'll find other examples of debt collection letters.

They use a lot of If's.

If you don't pay we may send a collector around to see you (or we may not)

If you don't pay we may take you to court (or we may not)

If we take you to court and you lose then we'll get the bailiffs around (but only if you lose and don't pay the judgement in the time stipulated by the court. Alternately if you win we'll be able to do f*** all)

Notice how they love to use a lot of red.

Your best is to ignore this letter. The normal advice is not to contact them as they will treat you as a hooked fish, think you're scared and send you more bumf.

It sounds as if you are nearly through the process. So just hang in there.

Finally The information that Crem was referring to is items such as date/time and location can be used together with the make and model of the vehicle, plus the reference number on the Newlyn letter.

Be warned Some PPC's (including a pie eater from the West Midlands) lurk on these forums to try and identify the driver and gather any incriminating evidence.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SNC00262.jpg

This is the latest one, sorry I originally put it in the bin. Thanks for the advice so far too.

I have just drafted two letters, one to CEL and one to Newlyn, is it not worth sending these then?

CEL:

Dear Sirs,

Re: Your letter dated xxxxxxxx Reference:xxxxxxx

I acknowledge receipt of your captioned letter. It seems that you have got my details from the DVLA and I confirm I am the keeper of the vehicle in question. You need to take this matter up with the driver concerned.

Please do not correspond with me any further on this matter except to confirm that you will be not taking the matter any further with me as the registered keeper of the vehicle.

Yours faithfully

and Newlyn:

Dear Sirs,

Re: Your letter dated xxxxxxxx Reference:xxxxxxxxxx

This alleged debt is now in dispute. I have written to your principal who have failed to substantiate their claim.

In the circumstances please refer this matter back to your client.

Any further correspondence from you in relation to this matter may result in a complaint to the authorities under the Protection From Harassment Act 1997.

Yours faithfully

That is unbelievable. I am assuming the act of registering (?) in the County Court (what does that actually mean?) by itself cannot "allow Bailiffs to remove household effects"?? :confused:

Is there no recourse to laws on "harassment" here? I can only hope one day they pick on the wrong person and get their comeuppance. :-x

FtBS

Fred - don't confuse private parking invoices like this with those issued by local authorities under decriminalised parking legislation.

It's the latter which are registered at the couny court (Northampton). They are very different, and can be enforced by bailiffs. The registering of the debt through the court system authorises bailiff action and results in a warrant being issued.

It's important to know the difference between the two.

Fred - don't confuse private parking invoices like this with those issued by local authorities under decriminalised parking legislation.

It's the latter which are registered at the couny court (Northampton). They are very different, and can be enforced by bailiffs. The registering of the debt through the court system authorises bailiff action and results in a warrant being issued.

It's important to know the difference between the two.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Since this is a private parking invoice, from what you're saying there is no way it can be "registered" at the County Court, yet the letter clearly states the bailiffs will be hammering on your door if it does happen. I assume the "may" in "may now be registered" gets them off the hook, but it still seems very dodgy to me.

FtBS

Edited by FredTheBulbousSquidge
typo

It's there to worry people into paying.

With local authority PCNs, the debt is legally established when the PCN is served. With private invoices, legally there is no debt. It's like me sending you a bill for £100, when the fact is, you owe me nothing. So how can I "register" the "debt"? It's just a bluff.

Thanks chaps, its just I've searched on the forums for Newlyn and they don't appear shy about sending bailiffs round!

Should I not send any letters and just wait it out then? How can companies such as CEL continue to do this then? Is it not deception?

yes it is and much more besides. see FAQs - PPCs - fighting back. The forces are aligned and http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/parking-traffic-offences/164651-problems-ppcs-face.html?highlight=problems+ppc+face no one in authority cares though. the DVLA makes 6 mill a year selling details and the government doesn't want motorists getting all uppity and knowing their rights. for heaven's sake they make start appealing council tickets and council FPNs for littering etc ! HMG just wants people to pay up like sheep.

Thanks chaps, its just I've searched on the forums for Newlyn and they don't appear shy about sending bailiffs round!

Should I not send any letters and just wait it out then? How can companies such as CEL continue to do this then? Is it not deception?

Your post is somewhat misleading. It needs to be clarified that Newlyn do not & will not 'send bailiffs round' in private parking cases that have not been decided in court. If they did, they would be in the brown stuff.

In any event, CEL & Newlyn have yet to do court in such cases, (but don't hold your breath), relying instead on carefully worded threats, harassment & intimidatory tactics in an effort to get victims to pay-up on their meaningless demands.

It's all a [problem] - don't fall for it. IGNORE

Yes, they are fracturing the criminal law, but no one in authority appears to be that bothered............at the moment.

Don't confuse bailiffs with debt collectors. Newlyns can't just 'send round the bailiffs', the matter would have to go to court, you lose then fail to pay within the stipulated time.

Debt collectors are just joe public with absolutely no authority whatsoever.

Ignore and get on with your life.

Don't throw any more of their rubbish away, it's always good for a laugh when you are feeling down.

regards

Please remember our troops, fighting and dying in our name. God protect them.

• 3 months later...

Hi all, I too have the same KFC Parking contravention Fine.

And i now also have the Newlyn Threat, and they have added £86.25!!

I went to the local paper with the first one of £150 and the reporter spoke to the PR guy for KFC in London who said he would sort it out....

Obviously didnt!

So is the general word to just ignore these people?

A.Person.

Can anyone help?

I just received a demand for £236.25 from Newlyn on behalf of Civil Enforcement Ltd relating to Parking offence.

I have had no other correspondence regarding this and called Newlyn to be told that I could write a letter to Civil Enforcement and/or Newlyn but they would probably not cancel this fine as it would be my word against theirs when it comes to court. Oh and he told me that the original parking fine was £100.

How can they make me pay £236.25 for a £100 fine??

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do?

Thanks

Jan

Bluejan,

Do take the time & trouble to study the numerous threads & posts already on this & other forums concerning Civil Enforcement Ltd & Newlyn plc.

The advice & reassurance you seek are contained therein. I would only be re-cycling the same advice previously given by myself & countless others who are/have been in the same situation as yourself.

Bottom Line - totally ignore, don't pay & never ever contact them again, no matter what drivel comes thro' your letterbox.

It's [problem] calculated to part mugs & the unwary from their hard earned cash.

Can anyone help?

I just received a demand for £236.25 from Newlyn on behalf of Civil Enforcement Ltd relating to Parking offence.

I have had no other correspondence regarding this and called Newlyn to be told that I could write a letter to Civil Enforcement and/or Newlyn but they would probably not cancel this fine as it would be my word against theirs when it comes to court. Oh and he told me that the original parking fine was £100.

I'm only repeating what Strawdog and others have said - the three steps to success are:

1. Ignore

2. Ignore

3. Goto 1

Do not write a letter to or contact anybody.

It will not go anywhere near court - their threats are empty to make the unwary send them some cash.

There are loads of threads on here and other forums all with the same tale of people receiving Invoices from these PPC's which are then followed by a series of letters demanding payment. The advice is the same to each one - ignore. Your situatuion is no different.

You may be tempted to contact them and plead your case - don't bother your wasting your time and only giving them signals that your worried and may cave in if they hassle you enough.

They can't but they can't claim £100 either.

For example if it cost £1 an hour to park your car and you paid £1 but you overstayed by one hour then their potential loss was £1 as somebody else could have been using it whilst you were still parked. That is what they could claim from you - £1

If it was a Free Car park then they have nothing to claim as they had no loss.

Blagton.

Can anyone help?

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do?

Thanks

Jan

They can't fine you ... they are not the police!

Read up on here, but what they are trying to say is that you parked on the land, agreed to a contract (that'll be the signs you didn't see!) and then as you stayed longer than the permitted time, you agreed to pay £100.

Quite simple really, if they wanted to get this money out of you, they could sue you for it, and lets say in the unlikely funny world you lost your case and had to pay, the judge would make you pay the £100+interest and court costs, non of these other noddy charges! It is not worth the PPCs time and effort to try and win because 99.9% of the time they don't so would loose to much financially.