Community care grant and Budgeting Loan question.

Mind
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4557 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, it's been around 7 years since I last applied for a budgeting loan and a comunity care grant for furnishings in my home, I'm in reciept of IS and DLA, I think I last applied for both the budgetting loan and the care grant and what I couldn't get with my care grant I was able to get with my budgetting loan, I was successfull and I was awarded in the reigion of £1400, I have now cleared all my outstanding payments on my budgetting loan and am once again in need of new furnishings and would like to apply again for both of these but I don't have a social worker to help me this time :(

My mental health problems leave me very dissorientated and oblivious to my surroundings I've spent more than a few weeks here without electricity due to unpaid bills and I only reacently realised to what extent of neglect I'd been living in when one of my shoes litaraly fell appart arround my foot, all my socks have holes in, all but one of my T-shirts or tops of any kind hoodies jumpers etc fit me any more and I've given most of the good ones to my little brother, I'm also down to my last pair of jeens these also do not fit me propperly anymore.

Very little of the furniture I bought 7 years back or so has lasted, I have been homeless on and off a number of times through about 4 of those years and many of my bellongings have been damaged or lost between homes, I did lose a lot of things due being unable pay storage costs for some things, these were two chests of drawers a wardrobe and a carpet some personal items also like my bike, mostly bulky stuff that I didn't mind letting go of - what I have managed to keep hold of is in very bad condition and needs replaicing.

My two sofas have completely perrished, most of the slats have broken on them dispite being repaired many times over, all the cushions have sagged to the point that they will not even fit on the sofas any more and the sofa covers have large holes warn all over them.

When I last moved house my letting agency failed to meet me at the propperty on the arranged day and the removal men had to leave my personal belongings on the drive, it was raining, I tried to cover as much of my stuff up as possible using bin liners but unfortunatly much of it was ruined - my microwave oven blew up when I plugged it in, my TV also stopped working shortly after.

My fridge which was donated by a local charity 4 or 5 years ago is leaking badly as the door seals have corroded, the thermostat control is also broken.

My double matress is now extreemly uncomfortable to sleep on, the padding has warn through to the springs, it is also very itchy to sleep on and I often wake up with lumps/bites which I guess are mites, I could do with a new bed sheet also.

I have only one bowl and one plate now left from a full set, I'm also down to my last knife and fork.

The cooker in my house is fuled by gas bottles, these have run out and I can not afford to buy new ones.

My toaster and radio broke ages ago during moving.

I need new curtains for three of the windows in my new house as there are simply more windows than I had previously.

I would like to buy a house plant as well to brighten the plaice up if I can, I need to try to find freinds but at the moment I'm too embarrresed to invite guests around or even go out and meet people because of the state my home and my self. I'm really f'ing deppressed and can not get a social worker as my local council don't have any free, there are also no outreach workers that cover my area so I'm on my own a lot of the time and don't have anyone to help fill out forms, can anyone here help?

What can I apply for out of the above?

What should I apply for with which form?

How much should I apply for for each item?

/

Fridge

Double matress

one or two Sofas (One large one small)

Three pairs of curtains

Microwave oven

TV

2 X Gass Bottles

Wardrobe

Chest of drawers

Cutlery and Crockery (I have cups)

Carpet for the front room.

Bathroom mat

Light bulbs

/

Clothes

Towel

Pair of trainers

Socks & Underware

T-shirts

Jumpers or sweatshirts

/

I have managed to keep my dining table and chairs in good condition, this is because I bought a pub table and two benches which are pretty much indistructable, these are about all thats lasted really, those and my washing machine.

Regards

Mind.

Edited by Mind

If you are a single person the maximum sum you will get for a budgeting loan is £348.00. For a community care grant, unless you are coming out of prison, coming out of care, need it to prevent you going into care or are resettling in the community as part of a planned resettlement programme with Social Work you are very unlikely to receive a Community Care Grant. You can also apply if you need one to ease exceptional pressure but what you or I consider exceptional pressure and what a DM will consider exceptional pressure are two different things. If you are successful:

Fridge: Unless you have a medical need, such as for example, you need it to store insulin in, you will not get one.

Double matress: a single person will not get one. You may get a single one.

one or two Sofas (One large one small): non essential

Three pairs of curtains - non essential

Microwave oven - non essential (unless you have no other cooking facilities)

TV - excluded item - you won't get it

2 X Gass Bottles - normal living expense - excluded

Wardrobe - non essential

Chest of drawers - non essential

Cutlery and Crockery (I have cups)

Carpet for the front room. - non essential

Bathroom mat - non essential

Light bulbs - normal living expense - excluded

Houseplant - non essential

/

Clothes

Towel

Pair of trainers

Socks & Underware

T-shirts

Jumpers or sweatshirts

Clothing depends upon whether or not they are considered essential to your circumstances. If it's general wear and tear then you can't get them. That is what your benefit money is for and you are expected to budget with it. If you were coming out of prison for example and had gained a significant amount of weight over a significant period of time and the clothes you are going home to will no longer fit - it may be considered essential.

A lot of it depends on your individual need and what the decision maker makes of it. No-one on an internet forum can tell you what to aply for or how much or whether or not you will get it. Of course for excluded items that is a definate no. You don't get for general wear and tear either.

What you can do is see if there is a local welfare rights office or CAB who can assist. If you have mental health issues, do you have a CPN? If so perhaps he/she would be willing to write you a letter of support.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Have you heared of free cycle. Just type it in to search engine along with place where you live and to join the only protocol is to offer the first item and then you can request items and be matched up with those who have them to give away for free. The first item can be as little as a book or an old video and you can buy second hand video for 1.00 from charity shop.

Honestly where I live they give away furniture, electrical items, games etc and its a happy polite site.

Give it a go.

Edited by stardust_john
spelling

Seriously I know how you feel, I have mental health issues and its easy not to realise how run down the house becomes. We have no carpets no wallpaper, old furniture and my cookers just packed up. But we have a roof over our heads, the decoration can wait, I'll get carpets one day (oh the splinters:() but I know I have to sort out my kiddies rooms first and were working on them in the summer holidays. But we are safe here, warm and happy, bit too warm last week:D

Oh and dont mention the garden, my neighbours called my weeds triffids as my mower and strimmer died last year.

But I'll get there and use free cycle to do it and where I have to pay use second hand. You can get some great bargains from charity shops.

Ps. You'll make some friends here.

Contact your Welfare Rights Office and if you have a CPN then they will work together. An instance of this is my daughter who was only receiving lower care DLA, the Welfare Rights Officer and CPN completed a re-assessment form for DLA and she now receives Middle care DLA and lower rate mobility. Are you getting the right rate of DLA for instance? A Welfare Rights Officer will help with this. My daughter also received from the Community Care Grant a sum of money towards a washing machine. They work on the basis of the cost of the lowest price in the Argos Catalogue.

You can get their number from your Local Council's website.

Hiya do you live in Birmingham, as my aunt is having a clear out and intend putting items on free cycle at the weekend. there are palny of charitys that help with such items, whers you pay a very small fee for delivery, even your local church might assist you in some items. Even a walk round the estate you might drop lucky and find something that you might be able to use that someone else has finished with. speak with your local jc or dss on what you can claim and can't, if successful, what you get spend on second hand stuff instead of new, that way having more to spend on items there refused you for.

!2 years Tesco distribution supervisor

7 years Sainsburys Transport Manager

4 Years housing officer ( Lettings )

Partner... 23 Years social services depts

All advice is given through own opition, also by seeking/searching info on behalf of poster, and own personnel dealings.

Thanks Everyone.

I live in Cornwall :(

If the Care Grant doesn't cover Fridges - Mocrowave ovens - Furniture - Clothes etc then what does it cover? Up to £1400 of what, thin air?

Im sick of second hand furniture, I'm sick of being expected to live like this, I've spent to many years living in hostels sharing rooms with members of the general public, years and years of living with no dignity and I'm sick of it, I want to at least be allowed new furniture, Sorry I would buy the odd second hand chest of draws but that's about it now, I want out of ruffing it all the time.

Sorry. .

I am sorry your having a tough time MIND. But it has to be said, we including me need to be grateful for what we get, especially in these times. On benefits of course we are entitled to new items, but we have to budget for them out of our money and save, I know it takes a long time, but beggars can not be choosers.

Untill then you will be able to find I am sure a lot of second hand furniture is sold on or given away as good as new.

I think you are expecting a little too much to be put your way without taking the responsibility yourself.

As said I have illness and mental health problems so sympathise as to why things have got so run down. Sorry if my response is not what you want to hear.

Edited by stardust_john

I have to agree with SJ. I know my daughter needs a lot of things and she has had to make do over many years as not only having mental health problems she was also left pregnant at an early age by a violent boyfriend who has in no way contributed to the upbringing of his daughter.

As previously stated the Welfare Rights Office is the way forward and I have to say since contacting them in December 08 my daughter's benefits and aid has risen so much so that she is now being able to have her house re-decorated.

My granddaughter is now 21 and at University so despite all the setbacks you can endeavour to make a better life for yourself.

apply for the budgeting loan

you no longer have to list every item you want and the price etc, you simply tick one or some of the boxes on the form, ie home improvemens, clohing or furniture, you then put in the total amount you are claiming, the forms changed ages ago, and its very rare they knock you back.

hope this helps

Im sick of second hand furniture, I'm sick of being expected to live like this, I've spent to many years living in hostels sharing rooms with members of the general public, years and years of living with no dignity and I'm sick of it, I want to at least be allowed new furniture, Sorry I would buy the odd second hand chest of draws but that's about it now, I want out of ruffing it all the time.

Whoa there, hold on to them horses!!

No-one said it didn't cover the items, what was said was that it would depend upon your circumstances as those things are not considered necessary in most cases. More specifically when someone has had those items and the condition has decreased via wear and tear or poor maintenance. You had a Community Care Grant previously; you had been in the situation of having nothing so can be reasonably expected to take measures to prevent yourself being in that situation again.

Community Care Grants do cover settees, fridges and the like but whether you will get it for those items is dependent upon need. Like mentioned previously, the storage of medication is a need above that of someone who simply doesn’t have a fridge and feel they need one. Some items are excluded completely.

You want to claim for a TV and a house plant for goodness sake. I am not suggesting you don't have problems however someone who fully expects taxpayers to fund a plant and a TV when there are people on this forum experiencing extreme difficulty obtaining life’s essentials takes the biscuit.

You may be sick of second hand furniture and sick of living like that but no-one expects you to rough it. The only expectation is that you take some responsibility for yourself which clearly you have no intention of doing, as you appear to think it is your automatic right to have these items free of charge. It is a discretionary payment, not an automatic entitlement. As Stardust states beggars can’t be choosers. And she of all people has really been through the mill with the benefit system.

I among others come on this forum frequently to offer help and advice to people. As it states in my signature the advice may not necessarily be what people want to hear but it’s reality. In all the threads I have offered advice on I have never seen anyone fully expect to get a TV, houseplant and a bike paid for by the state. Whether you are in receipt of benefit or self sufficient, it is up to you as an individual to take some responsibility for yourself. Light bulbs? Gas bottles? These are living expenses and that is what your benefit is for.

Why have you spent time in hostels, sharing rooms? You got a Community Care Grant to set up home previously (which they will not give to you without evidence that you have a sole tenancy for furnishings). So somewhere along the line you did have a tenancy of some description.

If you are unable to budget then perhaps it is worth seeking assistance with that. Ultimately you do appear to need the realisation that roughing it is not something festered on you, it is a choice you make. There are hundreds of people on benefits on this forum, and there is no denying there is a struggle but they manage. People do it every day. It does sound like you need some support to get your life back on track but the bottom line is, like it or not some of those items are far from essential, however like I say some of it depends on circumstance. The fact that you had quite a large community care grant previously will have a bearing on any other application you submit for a grant. (£1400.00 is a lot in today’s Community Care Grants – 7 years ago it was almost unheard of to get that amount). Re the Social Worker situation. Walking into the council and asking for a social worker doesn’t work in this day and age, services are stretched. Perhaps visit your GP or speak to your CPN if you have one who may be able to refer you to a social worker.

No-one is saying that you won’t get one, but it is unlikely you will get one for all of the items you want. You will have more luck with a budgeting loan but as I say for a single person the maximum is £348.00.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

You want to claim for a TV and a house plant for goodness sake. I am not suggesting you don't have problems however someone who fully expects taxpayers to fund a plant and a TV when there are people on this forum experiencing extreme difficulty obtaining life’s essentials takes the biscuit.

That's simply not true, I feel your attitude is more than a little out of line, Tax payers money!!!???? This is my money were talking about, money that the state took from ME and now I'm claiming MY money back!!

Secondly, I wasn't demanding anything, I was asking you for advice.

I'll also tell you why these are essential items for me, TV helps me deal with my depression, laugh if you like but having a good comedy show playing helps to stop my mind from ruminating on all the negativity in my life, none essential to you maybe, not for me. A plant would help make my home look more presentable which I need to do to be able to entertain guests and re-establish a network of friends, and help raise my spirits, I don't want to end up in hospital following another bout of depression, if I don't pull myself out of this one then that's what's going to happen and I'll be another ten years down the line wondering what happened to my life.

You may be sick of second hand furniture and sick of living like that but no-one expects you to rough it. The only expectation is that you take some responsibility for yourself which clearly you have no intention of doing, as you appear to think it is your automatic right to have these items free of charge. It is a discretionary payment, not an automatic entitlement. As Stardust states beggars can’t be choosers. And she of all people has really been through the mill with the benefit system.

I among others come on this forum frequently to offer help and advice to people. As it states in my signature the advice may not necessarily be what people want to hear but it’s reality. In all the threads I have offered advice on I have never seen anyone fully expect to get a TV, house plant and a bike paid for by the state. Whether you are in receipt of benefit or self sufficient, it is up to you as an individual to take some responsibility for yourself. Light bulbs? Gas bottles? These are living expenses and that is what your benefit is for.

Why have you spent time in hostels, sharing rooms? You got a Community Care Grant to set up home previously (which they will not give to you without evidence that you have a sole tenancy for furnishings). So somewhere along the line you did have a tenancy of some description.

If you are unable to budget then perhaps it is worth seeking assistance with that. Ultimately you do appear to need the realisation that roughing it is not something festered on you, it is a choice you make. There are hundreds of people on benefits on this forum, and there is no denying there is a struggle but they manage. People do it every day. It does sound like you need some support to get your life back on track but the bottom line is, like it or not some of those items are far from essential, however like I say some of it depends on circumstance. The fact that you had quite a large community care grant previously will have a bearing on any other application you submit for a grant. (£1400.00 is a lot in today’s Community Care Grants – 7 years ago it was almost unheard of to get that amount). Re the Social Worker situation. Walking into the council and asking for a social worker doesn’t work in this day and age, services are stretched. Perhaps visit your GP or speak to your CPN if you have one who may be able to refer you to a social worker.

No-one is saying that you won’t get one, but it is unlikely you will get one for all of the items you want. You will have more luck with a budgeting loan but as I say for a single person the maximum is £348.00.

I do take responsibility for myself, you seem to have created some very strong opinions about me based on very little, I once had a tenancy agreement and now I don't, so that you infer as meaning I made myself intentionally homeless, that I chose to leave a dwelling (probably in order to spend the rent money on drugs no doubt) NO, your completely wrong!!

10 years ago whilst at work I was attacked by another member of staff, it was an extremely violent attack, I was beaten around the head and neck with a fire extinguisher until I was unconscious! I never went back to work and couldn't find the money to pay the rent, after I lost my Job and my home, my girlfriend left me shortly after, a year later after several suicide attempts one of which left me permanently Physically and mentally scarred I suffered a severe mental breakdown and was diagnosed as suffering from Paranoid psychoses, Schizophrenia and epilepsy cased buy the blows to my head during the attack.

I moved back to my home town to be with my family, it was then that I received the care grant to furnish my flat which I rented from a local letting agency, a year or so later my relation ship with my family began to break down, some time after they left and moved to the Midlands my tenancy agreement ran out and my letting agency informed me that the landlord wished to sell the flat, it's taken from then till now to get back in to permanent accommodation, some 4 years or more I was living in hostels, living in tents and sleeping rough, Believe me, when your in this situation there is NOTHING that you can do, you can't work to earn money, you can't rent accommodation through letting agencies. The only reason I have a home now is because I lied to my letting agency about my source of income and presented myself as having a girlfriend (actually a friend from the hostel) and said that we were wanting to rent as a couple.

There is absolutely no way I can convey to you the pain I've been through over a few paragraphs on a forum, believe me I've lost something like Half of my life to mental illness and lack of accommodation. I'm close to giving up again. If you think I'm being out of line by asking on a forum whether or not I can apply for a house plant and a TV on my Budgeting loan then fair enough, I feel I deserve them, I've seen this government spend my tax money on a lot worse I can tell you.

I have to go now, no hard feelings, I'll let you all know how things went for me in a month or so.

You have suffered the same breakdown as my daughter. My daughter sees her Consultant 4 times a year and her CPN fortnightly and these people will help you with all the support you need. You have not said what support you have, ie do you have a CPN, if so, they are there to help. As previously advised The Welfare Rights Office is the best way forward or a Benefits Adviser at your local housing office.

A TV is an excluded item. End of. What I am saying to you is that what YOU consider essential doesn't come into it. If it is excluded it is excluded. As are general living expenses. A budgeting loan would be far easier to obtain than a Community Care Grant.

Like I said it sounds as if you need support getting your life back on track, and I hope you get that support. I haven't forged strong opinions about you, I have forged opinions of the likihood of obtaining a community care grant for the items specified based on the information provided in your posts. The only opinion I have formed is this:

you appear to think it is your automatic right to have these items free of charge.
which based on your posts appears correct.

If you think I'm being out of line by asking on a forum whether or not I can apply for a house plant and a TV on my Budgeting loan then fair enough, I feel I deserve them, I've seen this government spend my tax money on a lot worse I can tell you.
Again what you feel you deserve and what you can actually get are two very different things. You are not the only person who has paid into the system over a period of previous years. Contrary to ignorant belief most people who claim benefit have worked dashed hard over the years and also paid in, not everyone on benefit is a "scrounger". The legislation is the same for everyone and I'm afriad you are no different. Again that is not judgement, it is harsh reality, like it or not.

This may help:

The following are excluded from Community Care Grants and Crisis Loans:

• needs that occur outside the UK,
  • educational or training needs,
  • school travel, school meals, uniforms, sports clothes and equipment,
  • court costs and legal costs (such as fees and fines),
  • removal costs if you're being moved by a local authority or a government body (however, a Budgeting Loan may be possible),
  • domestic assistance or respite care,
  • repairs to publicly owned housing,
  • most medical needs (everyday items like incontinence pads may be allowed),
  • work-related expenses,
  • debts to government bodies, such as income tax or national insurance arrears,
  • investments,
  • needs arising when you've been disallowed Jobseeker’s Allowance or benefit has been sanctioned (stopped), or when you're involved in a trade dispute (expenses as the result of a disaster or needs for space-heating or cooking may be considered),
  • purchasing and installing a telephone and the cost of calls,
  • Council Tax arrears, and
  • maternity and funeral costs paid for by the regulated Social Fund.

The following are also excluded from Community Care Grants:

• any costs your local authority has a legal duty to meet,
  • fuel bills and standing charges, housing costs including repairs (except some minor repairs), improvements, deposits, rent, mortgage and service charges, and
  • daily living expenses (such as food), unless it's for a prisoner or young offender on temporary release or where a Crisis Loan cannot be awarded because you already owe too much.

The following are also excluded from Crisis Loans:

• mobility needs,
  • holidays,
  • TV and radio costs including rental and license,
  • the costs of running, parking or buying a vehicle, unless this is cheaper than emergency travel expenses, and
  • housing costs (see above), unless this is rent in advance, board and lodging or hostel charges, minor repairs or improvements and housing costs not otherwise met by benefits.

For some reason it's gone off the UK site, so I'll post from the Northern Ireland site (the guide is exactly the same as used in the UK; the fact it's in Northern Ireland makes no difference) http://www.dsdni.gov.uk/index/ssa/information_for_advisors/ssani_adviser_technical_guides/social_fund_guide/social_fund_guide_pt2.htm Again, it is not how you see your situation but rather how a decision maker will view your situation that decides a Community Care Grant. Make sure youy read all of it rather than the bits you THINK apply to you - it's a mistake I often see people make and that is where their applications fails.

I do hope you get the support you need to start over, but you need to take the steps to get that help. I've mentioned a CPN to you twice and you haven't clarified whether or not you have one. They can help you with this, and clarify to the CCG DM regarding your ill health and needs, write a letter of support, and a GP can refer you to a Social Worker. If you don't want a permanent SW around you can ask to see the duty SW, but this will depend on whether they are available. Have you tried CAB or Welfare Rights?

Edited by ErikaPNP

Mind, no one is questioning or doubting what you have been through. There are a lot of us.

I dont need to list the ins and outs of mine but I live day to day, and just try to hold on, as I have two kids who rely on me and if it wasnt for them, I wouldnt be here.

But to be fair it took me a long time to realise even though I felt the world was against me, I have to hold on.

I cant constantly rely on others to help like I didnt realise I was doing it in the past. When I moved house I wasnt capable to do so, friends took over to help and sent me away for the day. But you have to do it yourself and also ask for help from your doctor in pulling out of it. 'It' might not go away, like me, but you learn to live with it. I am seeking help at the moment as going through a bad faze.

But it seems your problems which re occur like mine, will not be solved by friends or dss sorting all out for you even if they had the funds to do so. You have to learn people here are not being personal, it is only fair to point out you have to and can do it yourself with help, but that doesnt always mean financial.

If freecycle and such goods are deemed below you then there is a problem in which you want all provided and you will never help yourself that way. You of course could apply for a budget loan, buy what you want and pay it back, but there are restrictions on ammount as suprise said. That is your problem you want more and have to accept make a choice of what to do and dont harp on what you cant have, it doesnt help.

After all to grow a plant only takes a seed if you really want one, you have the fun of seeing it grow without the expense of paying out for a fully grown plant that I tend to kill within weeks anyhow:rolleyes: Where are my green fingers:eek:

Best wishes.:-)

• 2 years later...

• MIND- though i do appreciate that u may be struggling and need help but also im actually appalled at what iv just read because im a single mum of 1 child and the money isnt great at all in fact you prob get more than me as my mum get income support and dla and she gets more money than me even though she has no child! but out of my weekly money i pay for everything myself, clothes, furniture, schhol uniform, all my bills i pay for everything and i still mange to save money up for xmas and my daughters birthdays and i also pay £90 a month for my driving lessons and i do this all on my own!!! i understand that you need money to help with some things but socks and underwear???? you seriously telling me you cant afford to buy socks???? well what the hell do you spend ur money on then??? people on benefits get enough money to live on and fulfil basic needs like clothing and bills ect...so there really is no excuse, i dont see how you can afford to pay for anything when you prob get more money that i do and i do it myself and more. i have had budgeting loans in the past but iv only ever had them for important stuff like carpet, washing machine, cooker ect everything else iv done myself because its non essential (in the governments eye lol) plus even though im on benefits (i get roughly £115 a week altogether) and its not very good money its still enough to live on and get by! they dont give us money for luxuarys because then noone would work and earn a proper living. out of my 115 a week i pay bills, buy clothes for me and my daughter, my driving lessons, food shopping and even cigarettes and a night out every few months so if i can do it on so little then anyone can tbh. dont want any1 to take offence at what iv put here it just really annoys me when people get enough money to fulfill their basic need yet say they cant afford socks and underwear, i dont believe it at all! sorry whoever taken offence im just proving a point and telling the truth!!!!

people on benefits get enough money to live on

Even the disabled people who need to spent hundreds on equipment that NHS won't provide? Don't make me laugh. You have no idea what you're talking about. My glasses (which I need to replace every 6-12 months) cost me at least one weeks' worth of benefit.

if i can do it on so little then anyone can tbh.

This is a load of rubbish. I require medication (which lasts me 4 weeks) which I can't get on the NHS. This is at least £11 a time. I'm sure you also don't have other costs that I do, like taxis everywhere, wheat free food, constant replacement of shoes and clothing due to the way I walk, costs of hospital appointments, etc. And no, DLA doesn't cover it. I am currently saving up for an item which will cost me around £400 - about 1 months worth of benefit / 3 months worth of DLA.

You're not telling the truth. You're basing your assumptions on what you can live on. Just because YOU can live on £115 a week, doesn't mean everyone else can.

ok maybe i shouldnt of said everyone because i do understand everyones circumstance are different so i am sorry i offended you and can see that it must be a struggle for you..i was just quite upset at what i read..i mean dont you think its bit silly that they cant afford socks?? lightbulbs?? i do understand some people genuinely need help and like urself prob dont get enough help when infact you should but im sure you wouldnt go as far as saying you have no socks and lightbulbs and stuff? do ya see where im coming from? im really not tryna be nasty im just saying. and from reading your comment back its clear that your need are essential and you could do with extra help so iv got nothing against that not as if you saying you need socks and lightbulbs. i really hope you understand what i mean. i didnt mean everyone should be able to do it if i can as such coz obviously everyone has diff circumstances and needs but i would say ur needs are alot more important than someone saying they need socks as that is something that can quite easily be bought out of the persons benefit money. sorry to offend you it wasnt aimed at someone in ur kind of circumstances was aimed at people whon afford to live off what they get but still want silly extras like socks lightbulbs underwear houseplant ect which im sorry to say can easily be paid for themselves obviously people may need help with furniture carpets health things and glasses etc etc because thats all important stuff. tryna explain myself as best as i can without offending people here

• MIND- though i do appreciate that u may be struggling and need help but also im actually appalled at what iv just read because im a single mum of 1 child and the money isnt great at all in fact you prob get more than me as my mum get income support and dla and she gets more money than me even though she has no child! but out of my weekly money i pay for everything myself, clothes, furniture, schhol uniform, all my bills i pay for everything and i still mange to save money up for xmas and my daughters birthdays and i also pay £90 a month for my driving lessons and i do this all on my own!!! i understand that you need money to help with some things but socks and underwear???? you seriously telling me you cant afford to buy socks???? well what the hell do you spend ur money on then??? people on benefits get enough money to live on and fulfil basic needs like clothing and bills ect...so there really is no excuse, i dont see how you can afford to pay for anything when you prob get more money that i do and i do it myself and more. i have had budgeting loans in the past but iv only ever had them for important stuff like carpet, washing machine, cooker ect everything else iv done myself because its non essential (in the governments eye lol) plus even though im on benefits (i get roughly £115 a week altogether) and its not very good money its still enough to live on and get by! they dont give us money for luxuarys because then noone would work and earn a proper living. out of my 115 a week i pay bills, buy clothes for me and my daughter, my driving lessons, food shopping and even cigarettes and a night out every few months so if i can do it on so little then anyone can tbh. dont want any1 to take offence at what iv put here it just really annoys me when people get enough money to fulfill their basic need yet say they cant afford socks and underwear, i dont believe it at all! sorry whoever taken offence im just proving a point and telling the truth!!!!

As original posters thread was last replied to in july 2009 then I hardly think OP is going to be waiting for your response and opinion !!!!!!!!!

Hint: Look at date of last post to see wether worth a post or even an judgemental reply.

Edited by watchinginvestigation2011