You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

caz51

Council has left house undecorated HELP

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4019 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

to cut a long story short, im in a housing association Flat and they have recently completely re done my electrics - unfortunatly its half a job and no one is taking responsibility to get it sorted so could really do with some advice please.

Essentially the plastering they have done over the new electric cables is falling out allready, they have ripped off wall aper etc and not replaced so it bare plaster in places - the workmanship is awfull and ive gone from living in a nice modern house to a dump with bits falling off left right and centre.

So far i have been in contact with the council / association and they will not take responsibilty - NO ONE WILL HELP ME and im at the end of my tether and its starting to affect my health.

PLEASE can anybody give me some guidance / help on what to do

Caz

please bare with me as this is the first forum ive ever used

I am not experienced in dealing with social housing issues, but you could try the following letter:

Housing Association

Address

Date

Dear Sirs

Your Address………….

Recently the Housing Association considered it necessary for safety reasons that the above property be rewired. Whilst I am unable to comment on the quality of the electrical work which was carried out, the atrocious work done in an attempt to make good following this rewiring has left my previously well-presented home in an appalling state.

I outline the main problems as follows:

1. In [ ] room(s) the wallpaper has been left hanging off the wall

2. In [ ] room(s)the chasing in plastering to cover cables is crumbling and falling out

3. Etc………

I have always kept my home in good order, paid my rent on time and been a good tenant. I have contacted both the council and Housing Association to request that they arrange for their contractors to make good the damage in a satisfactory manner, and for assistance with redecorating, but have received no help or advice on how this matter can be resolved.

This letter is notification that unless the Housing Association carries out the work necessary to return my home to its original good order, I may be forced to employ a private firm to do this work and deduct the cost from my rent.

Yours faithfully

Now if you are on benefits and therefore not able to withhold rent payments, or you don't receive a satisfactory response, I suggest you write a similar letter to your MP, or local councillor if you know who that is. They may not be able to do anything, but they do have to look into it.

Good Luck

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice

What department did you speak to in the Council? As you are a Housing Association tenant the Council Housing department will not be able to help you. The Environmental Health Team may as they can intervene if the house is uninhabitable, etc. Plaster coming off and decoration needed would not come under this but live electrical cables falling out of the walls may well be something they can help you with.

One of the best things to do would be to take some photographs and take them to your local Councillor's surgery.

One of the best things to do would be to take some photographs and take them to your local Councillor's surgery.

Excellent advice, Aviva.

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice

Now then Kentishlass - this is one big area where social/private differs! It may be the case that the work seems to be done for the tenant free of charge, however, boy do they pay for it in inconvenience both during and after!

Caz51, sorry, just something kentishlass and I were talking about the other day!

Do you know if this was done by the usual contractor as a one off or by another contractor doing several properties at the same time? I ask because if it is a contract of substantial size there should be a tenant liaison officer within the contractor's company who can sort out these problems. That's what he/she will be there for.

Although always your HO should be the first port of call, (we are your dumping ground if you like!) I suppose it depends who you've got.

Failing the above, once you have established who the contractor is you then need a contact for the site supervisor. The repairs section should give you this, if they are incapable of helping you in any other way.

Basically, you have a right to a good standard of work, cleaning up behind them, and for them to make good any damages. That is not to say if they rip a strip of wallpaper off, they will repaper the whole room, they will not. They'll put up a piece from a left over roll you may have , or will attempt to match it, but that's it.

It is also worth contacting the Tenant liason officer at the HA - they should have one, and failing that, try to see if you have a tenant rep in your area, you might even find they sit on the panel at the Association.

In any case take photo's of the damage, and if you have any photo's to show the condition prior to the dreaded arrival of "the workmen" that would help.

Don't let them get away with this - it is not acceptable. But sadly its very common in social housing!

Thanks Jackieandwayne - I am learning every day!!:D

Kentish Lass