Jump to content

Crane collapsed on my apartment block- what to do???

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4093 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

Hi everybody- I've posted on here previously regarding advice about getting my deposit back from my landlord, which I managed successfully due to great advice, so hopefully somebody can help me in my current predicament!


You may well have seen recent news reports about a crane collapsing on an apartment block in Liverpool city centre- well unfortunately that was my building!


At this point we don't know which flats are affected (looks as though mine was just missed but it could be flooded or collapsed etc we just don't know).


I know for sure that we can't get back in the building for at least a week (at the very very minimum) because the stairs and lifts have totally collapsed so we don't know if anythings damaged.


My predicament is that I was left with the clothes I was standing in and no realistic timescale to go and get my possessions back. At the 'crisis centre' a hotel was provided (we have subsequently been given a self-service apartment for 7 days also) and were told that if we needed anything (toiletrees, clothes, food etc) we should just go out an get what we need and keep receipts to claim back the money. I do not have any written confirmation of this however, although I contacted the building contractors main office and they told me that I was able to purchase things that we needed to get me to today and then we will be updated.


At this point we have not been given any updates about if we can go out and buy things within reason. I need business attire for work so need shirts and ties etc. If I don't get access to my flat anytime soon I'll need a fair amount of clothing and other items (trainers, jeans, t-shirts- the whole lot to keep me going).


I was just wondering whether anybody has any idea of what my rights are in terms of getting compensation and if indeed I am able to claim for food and clothing.


At this point I should mention that I do not have home contents insurance (probably quite silly with hindsight!).


The building company has basically accepted that it's all their fault- but if I don't have insurance I am still entitled to claim against them? Perhaps this is a civil matter of somesort which I could eventually sue under (if worst comes to worse)??? I'm not too sure!


Any advice would be gratefully received!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just read about it today in the Mancherster Evening News!! Terrbile story!


You need to go and buy what items you need for living and working. I think you could except that this reasonably includes work atire, casual atire, basic food and other incidentals. You should then be able to claim of the contractors insurance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...