My overall Benefits journey from 2013 to date - and on going still!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 355 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It seems i am not the only one to have problems in this matter, my medical was conducted by a doctor who did not ask me all of the questions and has put down totally wrong replies and information on the report, wrong as in she has written things i didnt say and not written what i did say. I now have to appeal, i dont think the CAB will be much good if they cannot attend the appeal and represent me, has anybody else had this problem? would you please contact me if you have? it seems that questionable tactics and methods are being used by the DWP. Also any advice on how to get someone to represent me? but please contact anyway if you have had the same problem.

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Moved to Special Needs/Disability Forum.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Do you have a welfare rights officer in your area that could help you, perhaps a phone call to you local council will put you in touch with the right people.

I keep hearing all the praises for the CAB, but I have found them not helpful at all in the past due to there limited opening hours.

Regards

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

I went with a friend of mine recently to an assessment and thank goodness for that.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/special-needs-disability-etc/183114-seftonview-anyone-opinion-ib.html

if you want to have a look.

Before going down the formal appeal route, see if you can get them to take a second look. Go page by page through the dr's assessment and point out every discrepancy and mistake, and take it from there.

I have a slightly different issue to this, I am currently in incapacity benefit and they asked me after about 6 months to answer more questions and I suspect it was enough.

However, due to my illness and certain aspects of it I have applied for mobility ...they initially refused and I asked that they take another look. They wrote back stating it would be a further 12 weeks for them to take another look. 10 weeks in to them 'taking another look' and I get a letter from them informing them that they are arranging to visit me at my home...

I don't particularly want them here to be honest but I don't know what to do....

But not only that but they have in the 10 weeks to take another look have not contacted any of the professionals involved with me i.e GP / consultant...so 10 weeks to do what exactly?

Not only that they also say that the person visiting isnt the person that will make the final decision but instead some office in my local benefits office....

They also threaten that if I do not have the appointment I may lose my benefits....I think this is flawed, I qualify for incapacity benefit, this they have granted but now with my application for mobility allowance which is a seperate issue altogether they are threatenning to withdraw my incapacity benefit if I don't comply.....It doesn't make sense to me..

I reside in Dawlish Warren but am not a rabbit.

If at all possible I'd always advise that you have someone with you when being visited by anyone in connection with DWP,be it a family member or a friend. [Or your Social worker if you have a good one]

You can record the conversation/questions but you have to inform them that you are going to do this.

If you do not understand a question then ask them to explain it to you.

Always answer questions about your health issues with how you are on your bad days,not how do cope on your better days.

If your application is turned down then look at their reasons for so doing and then write, detailing why do think that their decision is wrong, asking them to look at it again.

After 3 weeks or so ring them up and ask how far along your request has got and explain to them any problems that their refusal is causing you.

Ring again 2 weeks after that and so on until they have a decision for you.

Always be polite as that usually goes a long way when dealing with DWP [and others] over the phone.

If still a refusal then appeal the decision at an independent tribunal that DWP will commission.

They will send you all details of their decision to refuse your original application and will include the doctor's report for you to read.

Knowing why they have refused you gives you the chance to counter all their decisions with the true facts.

Perserverance and patience and the ability to bite your tongue on occasions is required when dealing with the DWP.

The 10 - 12 weeks "other look" is simply their current waiting list. Any DLA request is taking that long, they have such a backlog. It didn't take them 10 weeks to make a decision, simply for your file to get to the top of the list. It then took someone about 10 mns (as a guess) to read it and say "no". :-(

• 4 weeks later...

i am waiting for a date for my appeal for my IB, i have been busy though hassling anyone that could possibly help, my local mp is now writing a 2nd time direct to dwp chief executive office, my gp has written re my health an impending appt with pyscgiatrist for further treatment, atos replied to my complaint telling me that as i had complained to my mp and therefore "escalated" it all they had been told by dwp to reply directly to the mp and that would be sent on by her to me, i also complained to the GMC on the grounds that as the doctor ignored my replies and didnt conduct the test as stated, even making basic errors as wrong name, yes wrong name, although my passport was accepted as ID with my correct name, amongst other very obvious things, as a result of the either incompetence or dishonesty of the doctor concernced my health and welfare have suffered, my health being my main concern, the dwp have told me that the doctor was able to find my illness mild and she was trained to assess mental "disease" oh i could go on and on here but wont, am gonna keep fighting this its wrong and i wonder if that report, as despite my telling atos and the doctor about the incorrect sirname and description of me as in build and nature etc is actually a legal document?

Hello Ruby, I can appreiciate your frustration in what must be a difficult time for you.

Just a few pointers for you and which are my own opinion. I wouldn't 'hassle' those that can/may be able to you, keep them on their toes in respect of your personal case but don't keep on at them, they perform much better if left to get on with the matter in hand. Continue with the appeal, concentrate on the core issues and put to one side the small stuff, such as a name on a document and it's legality re the incorrect surname. Of course attempt to put the matter right but don't sweat with it.

Your appeal is specifically tailored to you and your current medical condition, try to focus your arguments/points of view for when the day arrives. I've found in the past it is very difficult to get a doctor to change his/her opinion on a particular persons mental illness, if it's said it's mild then simply ask for a second opinion or indeed consider changing your doctor if you feel they're not providing you with the care you require.

Whilst there are 'dishonest' doctors on the books it is rare and it's usually not in attendance where a patients medical conditon is concerned.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, keep fighting but adjust your direction and targets a little.

I reside in Dawlish Warren but am not a rabbit.

Ruby:

"my medical was conducted by a doctor who did not ask me all of the questions and has put down totally wrong replies and information on the report, wrong as in she has written things i didnt say and not written what i did say. I now have to appeal"

Exactly the same thing has happened to me. I appealed immediately, of course, and like any sane person assumed I would be sent for another medical. I want another medical, because I know that the doc has made a mistake.

However, you don't get another medical, can you believe that?

Incredible! But true!

All I got was a letter saying "appeal refused"! No hearing, no medical. But they DID send me the "breakdown" of tasks etc and that is when I saw for certain that the doc wrote the opposite of what I told her, or took my best-case scenario and used it as my usual day. Now I have to go before a tribunal and I am totally dreading it. I've been without any benefits for six long months!

Having read these forums I am now 100% certain that all this comes from a govt directive to reduce the numbers of people on IB by a certain percentage and we're just being picked out at random.

I totally agree with those on here that say, tell them about your worst days not your best.

Good luck

Sussex

• 3 weeks later...

hi all, yeh thanks Deb T i take your point. i have now been diagnosed with bipolar, i thought i had anxiety disorder/depression but since this stress with the dwp and atos's incompetent doctor who ignored my replies and did not conduct the test as she stated in the report, my symptons went in to an all time orbit, it now seems i may have had this for some time, anyway, i have a CPN and Pyschaitrist now and a care programme in place, i have written to the dwp and my MP and am awaiting a reply, i hope they dont make me go through the appeal but if they do i will try and get someone who knows whats what to be with me.

Hi Ruby....I just saw your post on Aktiv Kapital....on the end of another thread about 6 year old debts...if you have not made a payment towards the debt in 6 years, then it will be statute barred....you need to send Aktiv this letter by recorded delivery...., they are allowed to chase a debt that is statute barred but once you state that you have no intention of paying towards a debt that is statute barred then they MUST stop harrassing you this is the letter - http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/599-letter-sent-when-debt-is-statute-barred If you are in Scotland then statute barring is 5 years (but a different letter is required)...please do start a new thread if you can, and keep us posted....

I heard today from the GMC re my complaint against the atos doctor who conducted the test, no surprise that nothing is being done, they did however state that they had confirmation from the doctor's employee/contractor stating there is no wider concern with regard to her, but advised me that any further complaints to them about her would result in further investigation by them, my complaint is kept on file. so has anybody had a problem with an assessment made by Dr. Jane Reading? atos doctors travel to the medical centres and cover many areas, if anyone has any info then please help. Copies of the assessment reports are available to the claimant if requested as is the name of the doctor if asked the dwp have to tell you.

can anyone help? letter from jbcplus, stating a "query" has arisen re benefit, date for next friday for home visit in the morning, letter states is wanting to declare change of circumstance then do so immediately to avoid home visit. this is to a single mum (looking for work) on income support child benefit/tax etc, no partner, no job, nothing has changed. its puzzling???

its saying

we need to discuss a query that has arisen concerning your claim to benefit. Its important you are available, as it may affect your benefit. A customer compliance officer will visit on friday 1th between 11.00 am and 2.00 pm. if your not available or wish to advise of change of circumstances contact me immediately on direct line before the visit, we will then rearrange the visit.

then just ads about ID etc.....any ideas?

There's only one other thread on this site about a visit by a Customer Compliance Officer.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/200679-customer-compliance-officer-due.html

It offers a little help but unfortunately peters out before the actual meeting with the CCO.

At least it's a start ...

This thread on another site looks more promising. It deals with visits by Customer Compliance Officers to single mothers and suggests the visits are often to check that they are genuinely single.

jobcentre plus customer compliance officer ?? - Netmums Coffeehouse

But google as well for more. There are different reasons why these CCOs visit people including suspicions of fraud.

They are not very forthcoming in that letter. You could try calling them and asking whether it's a routine visit or whether there's something specific they want to discuss.

I hope someone with direct experience of a visit by a CCO will be able to offer you more advice. Good luck!:)

It is usually the result of a report that has been made which they believe to be mallicious, as there is no evidence to suggest the claimant has done anything wrong. Such as someone reporting you for living with a partner, or working whilst claiming benefit. Other cases they look at is if a benefit officer has picked up on something - for example no partner declared, but there is someone else named on the tenancy.

Compliance usually deal with cases where no crime is believed to have been committed but they have to be seen to be doing something, basically!

If they strongly had suspicions of fraudulent activity then it would be with fraud investigators, not compliance.

Compliance used to be done as routine but nowadays they don't have much time for "routine" so compliance deals with these cases, and in most circumstances are absolutley nothing to worry about.

They'll probably ask for your paperwork - bank statements, utility bills, rent statement etc.... usually they are looking for confirmation that there is no partner named on the documents or no more money in any accounts than you have declared, and they will ask you questions. They will tell you why they are there, and although they cannot tell you who reported you (in most cases it's anon anyway) they will tell you what the allegation was.

As nothing has changed, you have absolutely no worries. One thing though - you are entitled to have someone with you whilst you are there, and I would recommend this.

There are more threads about - gimme a sec and I will post

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)