style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5377 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been struggling with paying the council tax at our home and have been trying to deal with it but am probably not as on the ball as I should be, (6 months pregnant, 2 children and an unwell husband) so I have let things slide a little. Anyway, Bristow Sutor are now involved and they came round to the house while I was at work. My husband let them in (he didn't really know who they were) and they performed an inventory of the goods in our house for seizure and made an agreement with my husband for me to repay what I owe. Now bearing in mind that the council tax is in my name ONLY, are they allowed to tell my husband what I owe or to make payment arangements with him without my authority? My husband is not particularly well and the last thing he needed was this stress on top of everything else.

Do I have grounds for complaint?

Guest Happy Contrails

The article may be of interest: http://www.dca.gov.uk/enforcement/agents02.htm#part10 You are pregnant and that classes you a vulnerable persons for the purposes of civil enforcement and enforcement action must cease.

Look at the bailiffs documents, if he has charged you more than £24.50 in his fees then you are laughing, he commits an offence under the 2006 Fraud Act and you can make a complaint, plus make lots of noise with the council and police if you want to.

Thanks for that, I'll certainly be getting touch with them. Unfortunately there are so many fees on this notice that he's left that I can barely make head or tail of what's right.

Please tell me what you think:

24.50 attendance to levy fees

45.00 levy fees

24.50 redemption of goods fee

I haven't got a clue what any of that means!

Guest Happy Contrails

Only the £24.50, theres no such fee as levy fees because he has not levied on your goods & theres no such thing as redemption fees.

The law prescribing bailiffs fees for collecting unpaid council tax is the Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992 and provides £24.00 for a first visit and £18.00 for a second visit if one is made. No other bailiff's fees can lawfully be charged if a bailiff has not moved your goods in a vehicle and you have not signed any document consenting to a levy or a walking possessions agreement (currently a flat rate of £10).

Phone the council, tell them their bailiff has been caught cheating with his fees and commits an offence under Section 2 and 4 of the Fraud Act 2006 and ask they take the council tax debt back into town hall administration. Remind the council they are liable for their bailiffs when they are caught defrauding a member of the public. If the council is uncooperative or vexatious then quickly contact the local government ombudsman.

Phone the bailiff on his mobile and tell him you are filing a Form 4 complaint against him for defrauding you with his fees. Ask him for the name of the court that issued his bailiffs certificate and quickly end the call. If the bailiff refuses to disclose it then phone the Ministry of Justice Public Register of Bailiffs on 020 3334 6355 and ask which court issued his certificate. Download the complaint form to make an official complaint against the bailiff http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/form4_0606.pdf and send the form to the certificating court enclosing supporting evidence such as the bailiffs document showing the bailiffs fees he is trying to charge and any amounts paid.

Thank you so much - Bristow and Sutor make all the noises about being a reputable company but they're no better than the rest of them! I don't have a mobile number for the bailiff, just an 0871 number which only operates during working hours. As I teach during the day it's virtually impossible for me to call except at lunch time on my mobile and I don't have the money to cover that!! They don't even have na email address for queries just a 'Contact Us' box on their website which allows you up to 250 characters for your query!

i will definitely be in touch with the council over this - I might even have a look at previous dealings I'v had with them where I'm sure I've been charged extortionate amounts before.

By the way, according to the DCA website they shouldn't have spoken to my husband about the debts as they're in my name, is that right?

Sorry about the barrage of questions but it seems that you're the first person who can actually show me some light!

Guest Happy Contrails

never go ringing a bailiffs premium rate telephone number, just send the bailiffs this letter by post and by email for each and every case you have paid in the last 6 years. No positive response then Form 4 it for fee irregularities. You can reclaim unlawful bailiff fees just like bank charges.

The Omnipotent Bailiff Co, Plc

Their Address 1

Their Address 2

Their Address 3

Postcode

BY POST AND BY EMAIL

DATE

Dear Sir/Madam

Re: [YOUR NAME + REF]: Your fees.

I write following visits by your bailiff however there appears to an irregularity with your fees and I am writing to ask you to provide me the following within seven (7) days:

1) The name of the court that issued the certificate for the bailiff in charge

2) Written confirmation of a) your fees, and b) the original debt

3) The name and address of the organisation that instructed you

4) a) Truthfully confirm in writing your fees are lawful and comply with legislation or b) refund me the unlawful fees plus reasonable compensation for being cheated by your certificated bailiff with his fees by midday the seventh day from the date of this letter.

A bailiff or any other person who dishonestly charges for work that has not been done will be committing an offence under the Fraud Act 2006. Section 2 of the Act specifically describes a person dishonestly makes a false representation and intends, by making the representation, to make a gain for himself or another, or cause a loss to another, or expose another to a risk of loss therefore, if no satisfactory refund is made to me by 12.00 midday seven (7) days from the date of this letter I will automatically file a complaint to police under the 2006 Fraud Act and the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002. If you have charged VAT on unlawful fees then you may be reported for VAT fraud and your documents will be given in evidence. If your bailiff is certificated, a Form 4 will be filed.

This letter is delivered by Royal Mail and deem it good service upon you by the ordinary course of post under Section 7 of the Interpretation Act 1978. It now is your responsibility and in your best interests this letter is handed to the relevant person within your organisation.

Yours Sincerely

YOUR NAME

Sorry, enough is enough.

HC, please stop advising people as your'e info is totally incorrect. Not just in this thread, but in all of them.

You are wasting peoples time. Youre template letters will just be thrown in the bin, they are worthless.

Anglemouse, go to the CAB and ask the questions. The answers you are getting here are total claptrap and all HC's info above relating to fees is garbage.

Print this page off and go to the CAB or your COUNCIL. They will agree, this advice on fees is total rubbish.

Relating to form 4 complaints, based on the above advice, go ahead and file a form 4 and wait for the judge to laugh you out of court.

Edited by BLF

hello we have a troll!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

So instead of slagging each other off - and bearing in mind that I work full time and can't get to the bloody CAB - can somebody please tell me what's right? I thought that the idea of this site was to give correct information. If it's not, can someone point me in the direction of a site who can.

Guest Happy Contrails

Angelmoluse75.

From time to time we get bailiffs on the forums.

This is a public forum and its purpose is any advice you are given can be challenged by somebody else.

As my advice has been challenged, you now need to decide whose advice you listen to, and you are free to to accept the advice of a bailiff who thinks he also speaks for the judge.

Thanks HC,

Sometimes it's hard knowing who to trust but at the same time, I had to deal with a bailiff on behalf of my friend who said that he could turn up with police and demand entry to her home - all of which is complete rubbish so I'm more than aware that they have a tendency to bend the truth somewhat! Will do as you've suggested but will try a couple of other consumer organisations as well. Biggest problem at the moment is trying to find out who the registered body behind Bristow & Sutor is so that I can register an official complaint, seeing as how they don't have it on their website.

THE COUNCIL TAX (ADMINISTRATION AND

ENFORCEMENT) REGULATIONS 1992 (SI 1992/613 AS

AMENDED BY SI 1993/773, SI 1998/295, SI 2003/2211, SI 2006/3395 AND SI 2007/501

(SCHEDULE 5)

NOTICE OF

CHARGES CONNECTED WITH DISTRESS

1. The sum in respect of charges connected with the distress which may be aggregated under

regulation 45(2) shall be set out in the following Table-

(1)

Matters connected with distress

(2)

Charges

A For making a visit to premises with a view

to levying distress (where no levy is

made) – £24.50

i) where the visit is the first or only such

visit

ii) where the visit is the second such

visit:£18

Anglemouse 75 happy contrails is correct and i have never known him to give duff information

Guest Happy Contrails
Thanks HC,

Sometimes it's hard knowing who to trust but at the same time, I had to deal with a bailiff on behalf of my friend who said that he could turn up with police and demand entry to her home - all of which is complete rubbish so I'm more than aware that they have a tendency to bend the truth somewhat!

Like this bailiff did? Its called misrepresenting his powers >>

Will do as you've suggested but will try a couple of other consumer organisations as well. Biggest problem at the moment is trying to find out who the registered body behind Bristow & Sutor is so that I can register an official complaint.

The official body is the Ministry of Justice. Trade Associations are not industry regulators so complaing to them is pointless. My post above shows you how to make an official complaint.

captured!

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

So instead of slagging each other off - and bearing in mind that I work full time and can't get to the bloody CAB - can somebody please tell me what's right? I thought that the idea of this site was to give correct information. If it's not, can someone point me in the direction of a site who can.

You should follow HC's advice and send the letter. I suspect that the person who is trying to deter you is a bailiff. Don't listen to bailiffs' propaganda. Send the letter that HC advised you to send and don't take any nonsense from the bailiffs.

THE COUNCIL TAX (ADMINISTRATION AND

ENFORCEMENT) REGULATIONS 1992 (SI 1992/613 AS

AMENDED BY SI 1993/773, SI 1998/295, SI 2003/2211, SI 2006/3395 AND SI 2007/501

(SCHEDULE 5)

NOTICE OF

CHARGES CONNECTED WITH DISTRESS

1. The sum in respect of charges connected with the distress which may be aggregated under

regulation 45(2) shall be set out in the following Table-

(1)

Matters connected with distress

(2)

Charges

A For making a visit to premises with a view

to levying distress (where no levy is

made) – £24.50

i) where the visit is the first or only such

visit

ii) where the visit is the second such

visit:£18

Anglemouse 75 happy contrails is correct and i have never known him to give duff information

Yes, these are the charges connected with DISTRESS relating to visits.

HC states 24.50 is the only legal charge.

QUOTE = "Look at the bailiffs documents, if he has charged you more than £24.50 in his fees then you are laughing"

This is not correct so her advice is not good. Youre post above backs this up as a further charge of 18.00 is applied for the second visit where no levy takes place.

what about the rest......

B) For levying distress = the relevant amount calculated under paragraph 2 with respect to the levy.

C)For attending with a vehicle with a view to removing goods (where folowing the levy, goods are not removed) = reasonable costs incurred (usually £90 and is called a VAN fee)

D)The removal and storage of goods for the purposes of sale = Reasonable costs incurred (Usually same as the van fee and 12.50 per day until the sale)

I could go on. I am only pointing out inaccuracys in HC's advice.

Edited by BLF

Angel

You go with Happy Contrails here and if you want to check whats right and whats wrong contact Tomtubby too she is a bailiff expert and will definatley put you right....

Bailiffs will tell you anything to get your money they are NOT entittled too and because most people who suffer in their hands don't know the laws and they don't know about this forum ... And the bailiffs depned on your not knowing either so they can take what they like and get away with it...

If the debt is in your name I am sure no-one can sign anything for you on your behalf... But that's something else you will need to check with tomtubby

Another thing that makes me laugh with bailiffs they know Darn well that you don't have to do business with them either it's not against the law to NOT PAY THEM, you shouod pay the council direct not them

Anglemouse, You need to be aware that from what i can see, the people advising on this forum are using the people asking for help, as a tool to get at bailiffs, probably because they have had their own experiences with a bailiff ( and paid probably ). All they are doing is advising you to complain, fill out a form 4, send this letter etc, none of which will help you. As you can clearly see from the above posts, they dont know what they are talking about.

Anglemouse, You need to be aware that from what i can see, the people advising on this forum are using the people asking for help, as a tool to get at bailiffs, probably because they have had their own experiences with a bailiff ( and paid probably ). All they are doing is advising you to complain, fill out a form 4, send this letter etc, none of which will help you. As you can clearly see from the above posts, they dont know what they are talking about.

Bailiff Loving Freak

it is all very well using a public help forum, but your actions are not helping anyone, only adding unnecessary confusion for no postitive reason.

can i suggest that you p'haps recommend the best action in this instance then? as it seems to me that 'well go see CAB' is something of a get out?

if you are truely here to help people then your advice will be very much valued and welcomed, but if you are just here to further your own causes or employment, then i think it extremely unfair of you.

we await your valued input or your absence........

dx

and they