• Tweets

• I'm not sure we were on standard tariffs - I've uploaded as many proofs as I can for the ombudsman - ovo called last night uping the compensation to 100 from 50 pounds for the slip in customer service however they won't acknowledge the the problem them not acknowledging a fault has caused nor are they willing to remedy anything as they won't accept the meter or formula was wrong.   I'd appreciate more details on the economy 7 approach and I'll update the ombudsman with any information you can share. 
    • To re-iterate and highlight my urgent question on this one: The N24 from the court did not include any instructions to submit paperwork 28 days before the date, unlike the N157 received for other smaller claims. Do I have to submit a WS for this court date? Link has!...
    • No, reading the guidance online it says to wait for a letter from the court. Should I wait or submit the directions? BTW, I assume that the directions are a longer version of the particular of claim accompanied by evidence, correct?
    • Thanks for opening, it's been another rough year for my family and I've procastinated a little.. Due to the age of my defaults on this and other accounts (circa 2021), I really need to avoid a CCJ as that will be another 6 years of credit issues. Mediation failed as I played the 'not enough info to make a decision' however during the call for some reason they did offer settlement at 80%, I refused. this has been allocated to small claims track, court date is June 3 and I've received their WS. I'm starting on my WS. They do appear to have provided everything required of them (even if docs could be reconstructions). Not really sure what my argument is anymore but I do want to attend court and see this through. Should a judgement be made against me then I will clear the balance within 30 days and have the CCJ removed - this is still possible isn't it? I'm going to be reading up today and tomorrow and hope you can provide me some guidance in the meantime. Wonder what your advice would be given the documents they have provided? I am now in a position to clear the debt either by lump sum or a few large installments - Is this something i should look into at this late stage? Thanks as always in advance
    • I have now received my SAR. It includes a great deal of information! Is there a time limit on how long account information is kept and/or can be provided to debtors? I have received many account statements which were not previously sent to me. I remember that the creditor should provide explanations of any acronyms and abbreviations that maybe used in the documents. Is this still the case? Also what, if any, are the regulations in regard to adding fees to a debt? Can fees be added to a debt after the court has approved a charge on a property. Perhaps due to the numerous owners of the debt, many payments I made were not properly recorded on the account, some were entered over a year after the payment was made! Following the Legal Charge, I paid every month until my payments were refused. I am trying to compute the over payments, but the addition of fees etc. is confusing me. Any comments and/or help would be appreciated.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Penalty Fare Summons

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5392 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good day,

I am hoping to get some advice regarding a summons i received. It is from National Express, Liverpool street.The summons mentions railway byelaw 18(1).

Here is what happened, and can i say upfront, i know that i was wrong, i didnt have a ticket, i just want to make the best of a bad situation.

I travelled on the train from Bishops Stortford to Liverpool steet. A ticket inspector came around and asked me for my ticket, i said i didnt have one, so she asked me why, i told her i was late getting to the station, and didnt have time. I know thats not a valid excuse. She then told me i have to pay a panalty fare of £20.00. I got my Lloyds debit card out, she proceeded to process the transaction. The card wouldn't work in her machine, there was more than sufficient funds for the transaction. She tried again, and after not working a second time she told me she will have to report me. She took out her book and started writing, she asked me for my details and i gave it all. She then asked me some questions, which i couldn't hear clearly, i just said yes because i know i was wrong. She asked me to sign, i signed.

2 Months later i got a letter from the train company, i wrote back and said i was wrong, and i am willing to pay a fine for sorting out this issue. Then i got a summons this week, saying i have to be on court on 6 August. I have 3 options: Plead guilty and go to court, plead guitly and not go to court, and plead not guilty.

I don't want to get a crininal record, is there anything i can do to settle this before the court date?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi...

Was you caution at anytime by the inspector?

Was your card solo or visa eletron?

(1) In any area not designated as a compulsory ticket area, no person shall enter any train for the purpose of travelling on the railway unless he has with him a valid ticket entitling him to travel.

Thats what you have breached

You should write to the railway company prosecution department and send a cheque for the price of your ticket and explain that you may lose your job and money is very tight etc.etc

I figured out later that i was cautioned by the ticket inspector, but at the time when she said it the train was making so much noise that I couldn't hear her, I asked her to repeat it twice, still coulddn't hear her, and then just nodded. I didn't understand at the time what it was all about, seeing that it was my first time offense.

I have a Lloyds Visa debit card, not a Solo.

Edited by mjbenade

I think you should tell them that you accepted the penalty fare notice at the time and offered payment but your card couldnt be processed.

I feel it would be unfair to prosecute you just because the card wouldnt work. Obviously, you need to ensure your card was of the type acceptable by the train company as some are not.

You need to work on the basis that they only have the inspectors statement and may not have all the facts.

From experience, if they do pursue the matter to court you would probably get an absolute discharge in these circumstances.

I think you should tell them that you accepted the penalty fare notice at the time and offered payment but your card couldnt be processed.

I feel it would be unfair to prosecute you just because the card wouldnt work. Obviously, you need to ensure your card was of the type acceptable by the train company as some are not.

You need to work on the basis that they only have the inspectors statement and may not have all the facts.

From experience, if they do pursue the matter to court you would probably get an absolute discharge in these circumstances.

I agree with SRPO here.

If this was a Penalty Fare Notice it does not have to be paid at the time.

Provided that you have given your correct name and address and satisfied the inspectors' request for confirmation of those details, the notice should have been issued allowing you 21 days for payment or appeal.

If the failure of your card was simply because it was a type not accepted by the rail company, then that is not sufficient grounds to change this to a prosecution case unless you had no other means of payment with you before travelling. As SRPO points out, it is your responsibility to ensure that you have acceptable means to pay.

If on the other hand, it transpired that you had no ticket and no means of payment available to you before travelling because the card was either not valid for use generally or was rejected by your bank then a prosecution report can be justified.

After sending a letter to the train company, I received a call from their prosecutions department, and they offered me an Out of court settlement, I paid the outstanding fare which is £12.50, and £100.00 for costs. The person handling the case was very friendly and helpful. Thank you for all your help, i have definitely learnt my lesson, and will not be making the same mistake in the future.

If what you say is true, they are out of order offering an out of court settlement. It should only come from you, it could be suggested they are demanding money with menaces i.e. pay us or we'll prosecute you, this would be an abuse of process.

Yes, if it's true the TOC made an offer, it seems likely that's why it was made via a phone call.

The Courts will accept that a payment in settlement may be reached and this may be considered to be mitigated costs, but it must be made clear that the person who has been reported does not have to agree any setllement and is not put at any disadvantage by considering it.

Everyone has the right to go to Court to argue their case if they wish, but if you chose to agree a settlement that is up to you.

If what you say is true, they are out of order offering an out of court settlement. It should only come from you, it could be suggested they are demanding money with menaces i.e. pay us or we'll prosecute you, this would be an abuse of process.

TOCs make out of caourt settlements all the time. Bear in mind they are the 'victim' (loose term of the word, hence the quotations) here, so why is it ok for a member of the public to demand an out of court settlement when he/she has been hard done by, yet when a company offer one, they are demanding money by menesis?

To the point in hand, although I accept it's been sorted out now. If the card wouldn't work because of a fault with the RPIs machine, that a nil paid penalty fare should have been written, as a prosecution seems a tad OTT. However, if the card wasn't accepted by the company, you could argue that the person concerned had no means to purchase a ticket...

As for cautioning, the Revenue person wouldn't necessarily need to do this, for exaample if it was a Revenue Protection Assistant as opposed to an Inspector, they probably wouldn't have authority to Caution. Makes no difference to a prosecution, it just means the statement they write would be a statement of fact, with no Q and As on it (He was on such and such a train at such and such a time, and when asked, couldn't show a ticket etc etc.).