• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Argos CCA - is it enforceable

Zaraphin
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5000 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

if you are not worried about your CF at the mo :D then don't pay as it will kill it quicker.

track and trace at the moment is pathetic so just wait and see if mr carter sends anything in response

Ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Account number:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your response to my request under the Consumer Credit Act section 78

Under the terms of the above Act, a creditor has 12 working days to provide the requested document. Should they fail to do this, they have a further calendar month to rectify this default. Failure to comply within these timescales is a criminal offence.

Hi, I have just read this thread and noticed this part high lighted above in red which no longer applies.

The offence aspects of s 77-79 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 were repealed by Regulation 30, The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 ........

SCHEDULE 2 Amendments

PART 1 Amendments to Acts

Consumer Credit Act 1974

20. In section 78 (duty to give information to debtor under running-account credit agreement), in subsection (6), omit paragraph (b) and the “and” preceding it.

Which was .....

(6) If the creditor under an agreement fails to comply with subsection (1)—

(a) he is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement; and

(b) if the default continues for one month he commits an offence.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Got reply from Argos today with an offer for charges a total insult, obviously not going to accept it has anybody any ideas of a letter I could send them refusing their offer.

ANy help would be most appreciated.

edit this to suit:

Date

BANK NAME

Address

Address

Postcode

Re: Account number XXXXXXXX

Response to settlement offer.

Dear [named sender or Sirs]

Thank you for your letter dated xx/xx/xx

I respectfully decline your offer as Full and Final settlement and request, once again, that you return to me all charges imposed on this account, totalling £xxxx

I will accept the sum offered only as part settlement and on the clear understanding that I will pursue recovery of the remainder, with a County Court claim if necessary.

My (Request for Repayment letter) (Letter Before Action) dated xx/xx/xx indicates that you have until xx/xx/xx to respond before I proceed to the next stage of my request (before I commence legal action). My deadline remains the same despite this offer.

If you do not accept my conditions for acceptance, or you do not respond within 7 days, I shall return the cheque to you. For the avoidance of doubt, I wish to stress that I do not accept your offer under the terms stated in your letter.

(If the bank have credited your account, please use this note in place of the above paragraph)

If you do not accept my conditions, or you do not respond within 7 days, I wish to stress that I do not accept your offer and the money transfered to my account should not be viewed as my acceptance. I hereby authorise you to remove this sum accordingly.

I trust this clarifies my position.

Yours faithfully

[signature

and them send the LBA on time

ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

• 5 months later...

A wee update on the Argos front seemingly they will not increase their offer for charges and the FOS cannot help as they were not under their jurisdiction at the time of the charges.:(

Hadn't heard a dickybird from them for months then (Happy New Post) brought me a letter from Direct & Legal Collections with a copy of a letter from Argos saying dlc had been assigned this debt.

Don't know how, as this account is still in dispute with Argos as all they have sent is an application form in response to my CCA request months ago.

Also SAR did not turn up any other CCA apart from the Application Form they sent me.

I have read a lot of nasty things regarding dlc and not quite sure what to expect I have written to them to tell them account in dispute, htat was at the beginning of January 2010 no reply as yet.....seemingly they have a bad reputation of just going to court with proper CCA to get charge on house.

ANybody who can advise on what my next step should be....

Scott

to be honest i cannot find any argos accounts on CAG that has went to court but there are many threads in the same situ as you

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/search.php?searchid=3191951

also reemeber you are in Scotland ;) donlt have charge for payments but rather inhibition orders which is a long long way off

National Debtline Scotland | Debt Advice | Factsheet 05 What Happens When A Creditor Takes Court Action Against You

you are doinfg the right thing stating it is in dipsute

Ida x

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya

New Update on the Argos - dlc saga, sent letter to dlc (who have been assigned this debt) informing them that this account was in default due to unenforceable CCA.

Does assigned mean that dlc have bought this debt from argos ?

Anyway received a letter today from a company called Hillesden Securities replying to my letter to dlc (Are they connected as the letter states Hillesden Securities and the written complaints prodcedure they sent has dlc on it :confused:)

Cant believe a company would send a letter printed so squint they cant seem to type in straight lines :rolleyes: see copy of letter below.

Copy of Letter

Anyway its appears from their letter they want me to send them full details as too why I believe that the agreement (Application form argos sent me) supplied by argos does not comply with the Consumer Credit Act 1974 regulations.

Also to send them a copy of the document that my claims are based on as this will help them resolve the matter in the proper timescale.

WHy would they not have a copy of the agreement(posted in previous quote above) ?

Do I have to tell them why I think its not enforceable ?

Dont like what I read about dlc (not sure Hillesden Securities) really scared they will take us to court. If they do, does anybody know if it would be a local court up here in Scotland or a court down south as they are in Northants as I have read somewhere that the court system down there tend to favour the companies and not the debtor.

If anybody could help me with a reply letter to HS/dlc I would be very grateful as not too good at doing letters to these companies I am sure they can read in between the lines and they know that we are quite scared.

Scott

humour them

send copy of the letter you sent for the dispute with a short and simple letter:

Dear twats

Thank you for you letter dated xx/xx/xx.

Please find enclosed a copy of the letter of dispute that Argos received on the xx/xx/xx.

If you wish to see a copy of the alleged agreement, then please forward your request to your client.

I trust now that you will pass this account back to Argos for them to deal with their non-complance.

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...

Well Hillesden has raised their ugly faces once again, they have sent me a copy of the Application Form they call CCA

They actually state in their letter "After reviewing the document we are happy that it complies with all regulations set out by the consumer credit act 1974.

and

"Please note that as the above account does not relate to a fixed term agreemnet the prescribed terms are not required to be on the face of the agreement" Can anybody confirm this.....

The letter and application form links are below:-

LETTER COPY

CCA COPY

TERMS & CONDITIONS (which I think were on the back)

However I also have found the default notice:-

DEFAULT NOTICE COPY

Does anybody think the DN is compliant as it states 14 days but no date

All comments and advice gratefully received.

Scott