PaulParanoia vs CapQuest (Default shown on Equifax for a debt that isn't mine)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5394 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I've searched the forums but can't find anyone with quite the same issue as me. If I'm wrong, please point me in the right direction.

I recently attempted to take out an O2 contract for one of those new fangled iPhones. I was more than a bit surprised to fail their credit check as I have always had a perfect credit history. O2 told me to take the issue up with Equifax.

I checked my Equifax credit record and it shows a default from CapQuest for £300 at an address where I have never lived. I am 100% certain that this is not my debt and should not be shown on my file.

I've raised a dispute with Equifax and was planning on contacting CapQuest (who have never contacted me). However, after reading these forums, I'm rather worried that if I do contact CapQuest directly, I'll be opening myself up to a whole world of pain.

From the posts on this site I suspect that Equifax will reply telling me that they will not remove the default and will need to contact CapQuest directly.

Can anyone advise me how should I proceed?

Should I wait for the response from Equifax, or should I contact CapQuest now?

If I should contact CapQuest now, should I go in hard from the start showing that I mean business? I.e. Send a letter telling them that this is not my debt / inform them of the data protection act (S10) / threaten court action to have the default removed. Would this be an appropriate time to ask for proof of the debt by asking for the CCA and Default Notice?

Any help would be much appreciated ... I'm quite anxcious to get this matter sorted out quickly as I was intending to start looking for a new mortgage in the near future.

Thank you,

Paul Paranoia.

Hi Paul

I think you're on the right track. Go in hard... CCA them and threaten legal action from one side and have Equifax chasing it form the other side. Give them a time limit to sort it or you'll be seeking compensation.

I would also pull trading standards into the mix and have them look at it too because as you will have read on here, CapQuest don't give a rats about this kind of thing. To them it's all about numbers. The more stuff like this they do the more money they make.

Ring Trading Standards on 08454 040506. They will give you a reference number for your complaint which you can update as you go along.

It will be interesting to see how quickly this is sorted.

Thanks for the quick response and advice kurvaface. My gut instinct is to contact CapQuest now, going in hard and not taking any nonsense off them.

Should I really contact Trading Standards before I've given CapQuest a chance to remove the default from my credit file? Isn't it a bit early in the process to involve them?

Does anyone have any further advise on how I should approach this or what I should put in my initial letter?

Thanks again,

Paul.

Edited by PaulParanoia
Grammer

Would you ring the thief who burgles you before ringing the police?;)

When you lay into Capquest, if they know you have already complained to trading standards and you give them the ref number, they may be a wee bit keener to sort it out.:)

edit

Cerberusalert is correct complain to them too:

https://www.ico.gov.uk/Global/contact_us.aspx

Edited by kurvaface
more info

I found a process (linked below) for getting default notices removed from your credit file. With CapQuests history, I don't intend to take the 'softly softly' approach this process outlines. However, others may find this information useful when dealing with less aggressive organisations.

How to attempt to remove a Default Notice | LearnMoney.co.uk

Paul Paranoia

Great News!

Equifax have removed all the erroneous information from my credit report!

They did it so quickly that I didn't even get a chance to write to CapQuest.

What a relief!

Thanks for your input kurvaface.

Paul Paranoia