• Tweets

• Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
    • The streaming giant also said it added 9.3 million subscribers in the first three months of the year.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

How safe is your Safe Deposit box in a Bank? You will be surprised ...

ak47
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4722 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In these days where a victim is considered the harmed party, why am I, who through the admitted negligence of the National Westminster Bank, treated with such disdain?

Not only have I incurred financial loss to the tune of £5,000 in addition to the heartache, anguish, stress and time through the action of the Bank wrongfully releasing my safe deposit box to an unauthorised third party, but they won't even let me see their records of who else has had access to my safe deposit box! :confused:

I also have to endure condescending letters offering insignificant compensation (£750:eek:), which tell me "I should pursue compensation from my own insurers.", and that I am at liberty to take this to the Financial Ombudsman.

Anyone can see that the Bank is responsible for its actions - in fact we (my wife and I) had signed up to the clause " We agree that, except in respect of loss, damage or delay directly caused by the negligence or misfeasance of the Bank’s own officers or servants, the above items is/are lodged with the Bank at our own risk".

But, as always, it is the Bank who has the upper hand against an individual. The Bank refuses to accept liability for the financial losses we incurred as a direct result of its own admitted wrongdoing.

Fair justice, where Banks are concerned, would be a bonus.

Any advice on how to proceed?

well if it was me:

1. Letter to the bank in question asking for a refund of the monies lost, plus sufficient compensation. Send it via special delivery. Give them 14 days to respond.

2. If no satisfactory solution is reached, send a Letter Before Action, detailing that you will be suing the bank in the county court for a refund plus compensation. Again, send it via special delivery. Again give them 14 days to respond.

3. Sue them. Use www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/ . It costs but you can claim these back from the bank.

This is a simplistic approach but, given the facts (the bank gave your money away to an unauthorised third party), you should be onto a winner. i mean, despite their disclaimer, would they really like your situation to become common knowledge?

post office WON 12/11/06

abbey.LBA sent 30/10/06.MCOL claim submitted 8/11/06.allocation questionnaire sent 16/12/06.schedule of charges sent 16/12/06.WON

2nd abbey claim SAR sent 3/1/07.WON.complaint letter sent 18/1/08

alliance and Leicester.WON

Thanks for that; I too thought it would be a no brainer ... the bank has issued a Final Response; I have replied (specia delivery) to them, and cc'ed the CEO; the CEO's office have replied implying " ... we have deliberated and stand by our FInal response ... ", so I have now wrtitten off to Watchdog, put in this thread here, and next stop is Moneyclaim online.

Much appreciated for the response ...

In these days where a victim is considered the harmed party, why am I, who through the admitted negligence of the National Westminster Bank, treated with such disdain?

Not only have I incurred financial loss to the tune of £5,000 in addition to the heartache, anguish, stress and time through the action of the Bank wrongfully releasing my safe deposit box to an unauthorised third party, but they won't even let me see their records of who else has had access to my safe deposit box! :confused:

I also have to endure condescending letters offering insignificant compensation (£750:eek:), which tell me "I should pursue compensation from my own insurers.", and that I am at liberty to take this to the Financial Ombudsman.

Anyone can see that the Bank is responsible for its actions - in fact we (my wife and I) had signed up to the clause " We agree that, except in respect of loss, damage or delay directly caused by the negligence or misfeasance of the Bank’s own officers or servants, the above items is/are lodged with the Bank at our own risk".

But, as always, it is the Bank who has the upper hand against an individual. The Bank refuses to accept liability for the financial losses we incurred as a direct result of its own admitted wrongdoing.

Fair justice, where Banks are concerned, would be a bonus.

Any advice on how to proceed?

Yes, the bank would keep all documentation with regards to safe custody within what I would call a relevant filing system within the bank. They should furthermore, take identification(they may not photocopy it) but they should require it when releasing safe custody. The only question I would ask is whether the third party was known to you and had previously had access to your account authorised at that time but not anymore?

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

well if it was me:

1. Letter to the bank in question asking for a refund of the monies lost, plus sufficient compensation. Send it via special delivery. Give them 14 days to respond.

Difficulty, with all due respect, is that any items held in safe custody are not itemised but merely stored as either envelope or box. No bank staff would know what was contained within this and so it would be difficult to prove what is actually in the box.

2. If no satisfactory solution is reached, send a Letter Before Action, detailing that you will be suing the bank in the county court for a refund plus compensation. Again, send it via special delivery. Again give them 14 days to respond.

Again see above.

3. Sue them. Use www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/ . It costs but you can claim these back from the bank.

This is a simplistic approach but, given the facts (the bank gave your money away to an unauthorised third party), you should be onto a winner. i mean, despite their disclaimer, would they really like your situation to become common knowledge?

The difficulty is in assessing what is contained within safe custody because it is not itemised and any box/envelope is provided by the customer and not the bank. There maybe a case of fraud and theft but that is against the individual who took the safe custody. If this is a clear breach of bank guidelines then the OP certainly has a case for compensation for this(I would expect perhaps a member of staff might get sacked at worst over it).

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Yourbank, I see your point, and one that the Bank's Customer Relations keeps drumming into me; but I did not ask to be put into this situation; they released the box without my permission to a party that I did not know, never had authorised; I now know this party, and without giving names away, this has occurred because myself and my wife have the same initials as the third party and his wife, and yes the same surname; but then how many Smiths and Lees and Watsons, and patels are there! The Bank *Should* have compared signatures, and apparently did, but have also told me explicitly that the release signature does not match with those on the Lodgement Record.

My predicament is how do I prove what jewellery was in the box.

Thanks for the comments.

Yourbank, I see your point, and one that the Bank's Customer Relations keeps drumming into me; but I did not ask to be put into this situation; they released the box without my permission to a party that I did not know, never had authorised; I now know this party, and without giving names away, this has occurred because myself and my wife have the same initials as the third party and his wife, and yes the same surname; but then how many Smiths and Lees and Watsons, and patels are there! The Bank *Should* have compared signatures, and apparently did, but have also told me explicitly that the release signature does not match with those on the Lodgement Record.

My predicament is how do I prove what jewellery was in the box.

Thanks for the comments.

I am assuming it was not in a locked box but in an envelope, right?

Did the other individual return the item since it was not theirs?

• Haha 1

it was a locked petty cash box - which implies it may not be pickable - though the insurance company person who arrived and was an ex policeman tells me it is as easy as lemon-squeezey!

The other indiividual kept the box for 4.5 years, never questioning it was not theirs, and only returned it, 'cos fate brought us together and we had formed a friendly relationship. Ouch! Does this hurt! In this episode I have lost a dear friend!

it was a locked petty cash box - which implies it may not be pickable - though the insurance company person who arrived and was an ex policeman tells me it is as easy as lemon-squeezey!

The other indiividual kept the box for 4.5 years, never questioning it was not theirs, and only returned it, 'cos fate brought us together and we had formed a friendly relationship. Ouch! Does this hurt! In this episode I have lost a dear friend!

Four and a half years??? Blimey O'Reilly. I gotta say this is an odd one. When an item is taken out of safe custody then a line is struck through the item and audits are carried out every 12 months. Did they stop charging you for having it in safe custody?

Were the items of sentimental value?

Gotta say this is probably one of the most unusual cases I have heard. Am not really sure what to advise cos technically the bank are at fault for releasing the item to someone by mistake.

However, that person is guilty of an offence since they did not take the item back to the bank when clearly they knew it was not their item. I am amazed at what they did with something that was not theirs because it would have been pretty obvious to that person that it didn't belong to them.

*sigh* there is the temptation to put a line thru the episode, swallow my pride, and let bygones be bygones, as one thing this will not do is bring back those sentimental items ...

But I may feel different tomorrow ...

And England may re-win the Ashes ...

*sigh* there is the temptation to put a line thru the episode, swallow my pride, and let bygones be bygones, as one thing this will not do is bring back those sentimental items ...

But I may feel different tomorrow ...

And England may re-win the Ashes ...

I think the bank does need to compensate you but I am gobsmacked by the whole thing......don't think I am in anyway saying that this is not a serious issue cos I think it is. I am gobsmacked with the bank, the other person concerned and the whole thing. I just don't know what to advise.

never had need to go look at the items at all in the Bank for such a long time; seriously that is why; incredible that isn't it? And when we did go back to get access, and discovered it had long been gone, we had to take time out, and pinch ourselves - THIS CAN'T BE TRUE - we asked ourselves; but hey it is true - Once we stirred up a fuss, it took circa 6/8 weeks for the box to be returned to us via the bank ...

The point really is that this should not have happened at all, and the Bank is negligent - the third party to me is just simply noise ...

• 3 weeks later...

I hear that there is some website where one can post potential cases, and which solicitors visit to search for potential cases - anyone know name of this website?

For my issue, I have now referred to the Financial Ombudsman, but am mindful of the time they take (as they are not adequately resourced).

I hear that there is some website where one can post potential cases, and which solicitors visit to search for potential cases - anyone know name of this website?

For my issue, I have now referred to the Financial Ombudsman, but am mindful of the time they take (as they are not adequately resourced).

it will take time via the Financial Ombudsman but at least the case is alive

having them onboard is a plus for you

post office WON 12/11/06

abbey.LBA sent 30/10/06.MCOL claim submitted 8/11/06.allocation questionnaire sent 16/12/06.schedule of charges sent 16/12/06.WON

2nd abbey claim SAR sent 3/1/07.WON.complaint letter sent 18/1/08

alliance and Leicester.WON

Your note of 8 July states that the box was returned to you, presumably you are also stating that items were missing. It seems therefore that you can take criminal action against the people with the same name for theft. I would have thought you also have a case against the Bank for negligence and hence compensation. However the items in the boc/envelope should have been insured and you should claim on the policy for their value. The Bank has taken the safe custody item as contents unknown to the Bank and as such would have no knowledge of the contents and not be liable to remunerate you for the actual lost value. As for sacking the employee i would have thought after 4 and a half years it would be impossible for them to even trace who dealt with it.

I have to agree with Rhino and yourbank on this; whatever we feel about it the bank's obligations are to keep the item in their safe custody area and do not insure the contents, or even know what the contents are. The safe custody records will only show "small locked box, sealed envelope or perhaps even small suitcase" nothing more.

Where they have clearly failed is in releasing the item to the wrong person and here they clearly have a duty of care to ensure just as they do with reagrds to giving money from your account to a namesake.

The compensation will be based on a scale and limited to the size of the item on deposit, therefore an envelope will be worth less than a small box etc and you still need to insure the item yourself. Having said that, insurers are usually quite happy that the item is in bank vault!

You can take proceedings for theft against the third party who took the box out of the bank as they must have known it wasn't theirs. Even if they also had a deposit in the same bank, and even if their box was identical to yours they must have known once they opened it...

The banks usually carry out six monthly or annual safe custody audits where items are checked against the log andthis is what triggers the safe custody fee charges. If the box was "withdrawn" as opposed to merely being taken out with the potential to be returned, then the entry in the log would be closed off and all future charges would cease.

I disagree that they can't trace transaction history though. As these are customer records, they fall under the 6 year rule so if they can't provide the details its more likely to be because its too much hassle and you haven't made enough noise about it. Besides, there will probably be a couple of people nominated with responsibility for safe custody so it should be a short list.

The cold facts are that the bank broke their own rules about releasing items from safe custody. They were clearly negligent and should pay for that; the amount probably won't bear any comparison to your loss, but as far as the bank knew, the box could have been full of platinum jewellery or just as easily have been completely empty; the person who took the items away from the bank is your legitimate target for legal action.

I guess it all depends how much these things mean to you?

• 1 year later...

The EXACT same thing has happened to me just recently. But the bank was Barclays Bank. Please guide me as I have contacted them. They have issued my box to another party and are not telling me anything. I want to sue them as there were a lot of valueables in there. But the same problem how do I prove it now that teh WHOLE box has been given to some random person.

I just want to know HOW could they give the box without even CHECKING the eprsons ID?

I am out of my mind.

please guide me what to do.

write a letter to the bank's chief executive asking how an item in their safe custody could be released to a third party? At this point there's no point in describing the contents, as the main point is one of processes and security. Once you have a meaningful answer to your first question you can move to the amount of loss. The biggest hurdle you will face is in proving that the contents were actually in their care. most banks simply record safe custody as "one large envelope" or "one locked box, contents unknown" and most advise taking out insurance for the full value of the deposit. The fact that you have taken the precaution of depositing the family silver or whatever with a bank should reduce the premiums but the bank's own insurance WILL NOT COVER UNDISCLOSED ITEMS and for pretty obvious reasons.

the main reason for writing to the CEO is to get your complaint elevated to the status of an "ExecutiveComplaint" which will be handled by a separate department, usually staffed by more senior people.

dear o dear o dear Soie76; my experience .. some sweet talk from Customer Relations - where everything you say can and will be regugitated back to you - predicament - if you don't talk you cannot express your loss, but it is a fact finding quest - remember for there guys it is nothing more than a job - in my case some old gentleman expressing that he can see my point of view, my loss, BUT never admitting fault and even when they did they will throw in a clanger to incite you, but you try hard not to bite!

So, be factual, not emotional, and like the episode here shows - you will get some compensation - which won't be equal to your loss monetarily nor as a means of replacing sentimentality.

Finally- you will be made an offer which you won't like, you will go to the Ombudsman, you will get half a dozen letters from the Ombudsman saying they are really busy and the gov't does not give them too many staff, so you will get to a stage when you will not be looking for the Ombudsman's letter, and when 'that' one arrives, you will open it 2nd or 3rd instead of the first one to be opened, and then lo and behold ... "we have considered your case and in our opinion the Bank has made a reasonable offer and we advise you to accept it, and sign here please... however if you do not accept the offer, you are at liberty to take legal action ... blah blah blah PHat!

Sorry that this is negative, but it was a journey, and the journey taught me a few lessons in life; 1. you are small compared to the corporate, 2) Emotions do not work 3) Health and Character matter more than wealth 4) Move on.

BUT you have to go through the journey as otherwise you won't know whether yours would have taken a different route. You can always earn the money to replace the loss. Don't lose your health in the quest though. Good Luck.

Thank you for your advice.The box had property papers and also a big amount of other valueables. Now I have recently discovered that. The properties have been sold. I am just amazed how could this be? Have an appt with the land registry ppl to sort it out. Can I clam compensation if this is linked to the box's disappearence.

write a letter to the bank's chief executive asking how an item in their safe custody could be released to a third party? At this point there's no point in describing the contents, as the main point is one of processes and security. Once you have a meaningful answer to your first question you can move to the amount of loss. The biggest hurdle you will face is in proving that the contents were actually in their care. most banks simply record safe custody as "one large envelope" or "one locked box, contents unknown" and most advise taking out insurance for the full value of the deposit. The fact that you have taken the precaution of depositing the family silver or whatever with a bank should reduce the premiums but the bank's own insurance WILL NOT COVER UNDISCLOSED ITEMS and for pretty obvious reasons.

the main reason for writing to the CEO is to get your complaint elevated to the status of an "ExecutiveComplaint" which will be handled by a separate department, usually staffed by more senior people.

• 3 weeks later...

"Thank you for your advice.The box had property papers and also a big amount of other valueables. Now I have recently discovered that. The properties have been sold. I am just amazed how could this be? Have an appt with the land registry ppl to sort it out. Can I clam compensation if this is linked to the box's disappearence".

You made an appointment to see the Land registry people? well this just stunns me.......It's the police you need to see, and a good solicitor!