Jump to content
  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • No striking out a claim does not render the amount to nil...the debt remains. Second claims...possible.....if its assigned to a new DCA and the amount of claim differs along with the particulars.
    • Hi all, I hope you are all keeping safe and well!   So I'm here with another Dell query believe it or not.  In short, after the fiasco with the previous previous Dell, I purchased the 2020 model and unfortunately found a fault in that where Dell actually did not want to repair but just refund which I accepted.  And I stuck with dell buying an XPS 9500 fully specced.   There has been a known trackpad wobble/pre-travel issue which I was well aware but it was luck of the draw according to the numerous people buying it and reporting a yay or nay on various forums so I ordered one after early July knowing Dell formally admit to the issue and stated June on-wards, the fix would be in place. Got it, and issue was there.  I ordered another arranging a pickup/refund for this one...same fault.  And I ordered another ...th e same.  At one point, I had 3 £2500 laptops on my credit card with all 3 awaiting refunds which I got back.   Fast forward and one of the original advanced resolution tech support guys got involved again as he did with the last 2 - he and a sales guy did a cracking deal on a Precision 5550.  This is essentially the business range of the 9500 stating as this is a new build with 3 weeks lead-time, it would >not< have the issue.  Guess what?  It did. After lots of to/from Dell, we agreed a refund is probably now best and I move on... BUT I still wanted it the 5550.  So  I requested another quote from the sales guy for the 5550 for the same price/spec and try one more time.  This time, he said he would not be able to match the quote, reduced warranty to 1 year and added £300 on top which I declined.  Note, the reason I asked for a quote is once purchased or expired, the link no longer works so I could not just re-purchased from the old one he sent.   Back to the tech guy-  he offered an on-site repair with the revised palm rest.  Didn't want this but had no choice but to accept as sales would not let me re-order at the same price.  I accepted and this was meant to be this week prior to the 14 day return period.  I get a call on Tuesday to say it has been delayed now until the end of August. Note, I also have it in writing if it is not fixed after the part is installed, or any damage is caused (the fiasco of the last one) or any new issues are introduced, I would get a brand new (not refurb) replacement.   Why am I here? Well clearly I do have MUG written on my head by sticking to Dell but equally I know I cannot get a laptop from any manufacturer with this fantastic screen/ratio/resolution, or performance that I have of the 5550 for any number of pounds.   But I have to draw a line somewhere - my 14 days is up tomorrow too so I either keep or return knowing that I will not be able to get anything close to this spec within my budget given this was discounted heavily. Ideally, I just want a replacement hoping that the new one is good and if not, I would maybe attempt to fix it by a number of plaster fixes rather than have it opened by a 3rd party tech so early on. I posed the query and apparently a new one for my spec would only be available in November with the revised part yet the ones already on sale (slightly lower cpu) is supposedly with the revised part and a new build regardless of this issue would usually take 3 weeks to deliver -    IF end of august comes by and still no part - what are my options once I go past the 14 days given what I am doing is giving them a chance to rectify it?  They are maintaining a refund would NOT be given once I go beyond the 14 day marker - is this legal? Again, I fully appreciate I still have a chance to backout tomorrow but everything else is perfect about this specific laptop or any other 5550 with this spec.     Obviously if it gets fixed then happy days and again if they stuff up, I still get a new replacement.  It's more if the line is drawn by this fixed part being delayed again and again.   Sorry for the whole load of text   
    • Thank you for the replies. I really hope the consultant at the fracture clinic was correct, that it is a sprain and full motion will return within 2 to 3 weeks. G.P telephone consultation is also booked now Looking at the image, I see bone lifted off the main bone, or maybe not, hopefully not. Cheers  
    • Good morning All,   Today I have received the email from the Courts in respect the account held with MBNA confirmed. The information reads as :   Claimant Claims: Credit Card Account Number ********************* Balance of £6'850.61 as of 31/01/2010. Interest under s69 of the County Court Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from the default date(s) to 21/2011 of £804.81 and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgement or earlier payment at a daily rate of 1.50 and costs.   The maths now show as Amount Claimed £7655.42 Court Fee £190.00 Solicitors Costs £100.00 total £7'945.42 Date of issue 21-July-2011   Underneath it then shows To the Defendant you have not replied to to the claim form ( I went to the courts to discuss my income ) It is therefore ordered you must pay the claimant £7'692.33 for the debt ( and interest to date of judgment) and £320.00 for costs. You must pay the claimant the total of £8'012.33 forthwith.   I now have the account number for this account and I have written to MBNA which was delivered and proof of delivery obtained with signature. Would it best be to contact them again as I have no statements in regards to the full account statements and proof of the final account balances as I am 100% sure this was far too high a balance.   Thanks everyone LuckY-13            
    • You're right, hightail. I had cause to speak to M&S customer services and I asked if the lady was at home out of interest. She was and I was pleased she was safe. She had no problem resolving my problem and wasn't in a rush to get rid of me.
  • Our picks

    • Curry’s cancelled my order but took the money anyway. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423055-curry%E2%80%99s-cancelled-my-order-but-took-the-money-anyway/
      • 11 replies
    • Father passed away - Ardent Credit Services (Vodafone) now claiming he owes money. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423040-father-passed-away-ardent-credit-services-vodafone-now-claiming-he-owes-money/
      • 9 replies
    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 6 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.
       
      I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.
       
      I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.
       
      No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.
       
      The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.
       
      They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.
       
      They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.
       
      I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?
       
      Thanks for reading 
      • 16 replies
fidodido1980

Different landlord, same deposit -- do I stand a chance of reclaiming my money?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4055 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

Hello all,

 

I'd be hugely grateful if somebody here could help me with my situation. It's rather complex however, so I'll present the events chronologically, and be as brief as possible:

 

 

--------------------------------------------------

 

 

August 2007: My three friends and I moved into our house, and paid a deposit of £200 each. We all received a HAND-WRITTEN RECEIPT for our individual deposits, saying the following:

 

--------------------------------------------

 

[My Name]

Received with thanks

£200 for deposit for [Address]

Landlord's Name/his signature

--------------------------------------------

 

The Landlord informed us that he was putting the money into a Deposit Protection Scheme (which he did).

 

March 2008: We sign a new contract that ends on 31st March 2009.

 

September 2008: Our old Landlorddecides to sell the house, so we get a new Landlord. At this point, we got a letter from the original Landlord, stating the following:

 

--------------------------------------------

"We still have your deposit and are awaiting instructions from the new landlord's solicitors, I will inform you what happens, but we will either return the deposit to you, and your new landlord will make arrangements to collect a new deposit off you, or transfer the deposit over to the new landlord."

--------------------------------------------

 

We have since learned from the very helpful DPS people that he should have returned the deposit and allowed us to come to a new arrangement with our new Landlord. Alas, he never got back to us to confirm his course of action. We learned much later that he just passed our deposit to the new guy, essentially using our deposit as a bargaining chip in the sale of the house.

 

March 31st 2009: Our tenancy agreement, still between ourselves and the OLD Landlord (the new owner never arranged a contract between himself and us), ends. In the days leading up to this date, I contact our new Landlord and say that we're interested in staying for another six months, and then ask him to send a new tenancy agreement. He does not do this.

 

May 1st 2009: We decide to move out of the property at the end of May. Although we still have no contract and could simply leave at the end of May, we decide to do the decent thing and send a letter of notice saying we'll be off at the end of the month. We send three letters, one for each of the three tenants who wish to leave (the fourth tenant has stayed in the house, and is still there now).

 

early-June 2009: Now in our new property, we contact the Landlord and ask when we can expect our deposits back. He claims to know nothing about a deposit! We contact our old Landlord, who sends us a solicitor's letter showing that the deposits were knocked off the price of the house.

 

late-June 2009: I send the solicitor's letter (by signed-for delivery) to the new Landlord, highlighting that he does have our money. A few days later, I ring up and ask him if we can have our deposit back. He seems to accept now that the money is with him, so I ask again if we can expect our deposits back. In a nutshell, he says: "No way." He gives some reasons for this:

 

1. "The house was left in a despicable/disgusting condition." [it wasn't; indeed, myself and the other tenants made great efforts to ensure that the house was left AS WE FOUND IT. We hoovered and cleaned everywhere, even though our fourth tenant was staying. The Landlord himself did not inventory the house when he took over.]

 

2. "We had an agreement that you'd be staying on for a few more months." [As mentioned above, I had told him we were interested in another six months, but he failed to send us a new tenancy agreement after being asked to. From 1st April, we had no contract.]

 

3. "You didn't give me notice that you were leaving." [We did -- in fact, we sent three individual letters of notice one month before leaving. Sadly, I neglected to send these by signed-for delivery].

 

 

--------------------------------------------------

 

 

As you can see, it's a complex situation, and sorry for making that not very brief as promised! I'd just really like to know where I can go from here.

 

WHAT I HAVE:

  • A hand-written receipt from the original Landlord for my deposit.

 

  • A letter from a solicitor stating that the money is with him.

 

WHAT I DON'T HAVE:

 

  • Sadly, I didn't do an inventory of furniture/flaws. I'm kicking myself over this.

 

  • Proof that we sent those notice of departure letters (though we sent three to his address, and I struggle to believe all three disappeared in the post).

 

In conclusion, what can I do?

We know this new Landlord never put our money into a DPS, and now he won't pay us back, on the grounds that we left the house in a "despicable condition" (we truly did nothing of the sort). I'm speaking to the Citizens' Advice Bureau tomorrow, but do any of you think legal action is a possibility or could be successful?

 

:) MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY INSIGHT YOU CAN GIVE ME. :)

Edited by fidodido1980

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first query would have to be - how could the 1st LL remove the deposit from the DPS without the Tenants say so? Is the money not still with the DPS? Surely, he would simply have had it transferred into the name of the new LL - who then could not just take it?

 

When your new LL took over he should have

Served on you as Tenant:

a. old L's Letter of Authority (to pay rent to new LL);

b. Notice under s.3 of LTA 1985 (LL's address); and

c. Notice under s.48 of LTA 1987 (to pay rent to new LL.) If only item c is served without item a, you could ignore it.

 

Without these, you could have refused to pay your rent since you had no authority from old LL to pay it to new LL, and would not know who or where to pay it. (But put it in a separate account to pay up when the correct notices were actually served). Leaving all that aside though,

 

you now write to this LL telling him that if he does not return your deposit(s) in full within the next [10?] days that you will take him to court for the return of your deposit, plus 3 x deposit penalty, for non-compliance with the regulations regard the protection of tenants deposits. Tell him you have taken advice, and spoken to the DPS so know that your deposit has not been protected.

 

Since it appears that no check-in or check-out inventories were carried out he has no right to make ANY deductions from your deposit(s) since he has no way of proving the condition of the property when you moved in or when you moved out!

 

Good luck.


Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, thank you, a really informative and helpful reply! :)

 

To answer your initial question: until recently, the old Landlord's deposit was, as I understand, still in the DPS. He informed us that the new Landlord had our money now, and explained that we'd need to get it off him. As our old Landlord was (so we thought) a decent and seemingly honest guy who had always done right by us in the past (occasionally letting us off for late rent, etc.), we believed him. Pretty damn foolish of us, and just shows the value of research! I won't make the same mistake again.

 

I believe he may now have got his money back with the assistance of my fellow ex-tenant (who is in South Africa), so it looks like we will be going to the new Landlord for the money. I shall ring the DPS now, however, just in case it hasn't gone through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, just discovered the original £800 is still in the DPS! :/ Essentially, this means that two sets of £800 are floating about -- £800 in the DPS, and the £800 in my new Landlord's pocket.

 

So do I go for the £800 in the DPS (and let the new Landlord/old Landlord sort out the £800 that was knocked off the price of the house?), or keep nagging the new Landlord for my money?

 

Gonna ring the DPS now to find out! What a mess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent. Go for the cash in the DPS - forget the other - silly old LL!!!

 

You should have the details the first LL gave you re the deposit and how to get it back. The DPS are really helpful, so good luck.


Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Have we helped you ...?


×
×
  • Create New...