Disability element of tax credits

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5364 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Was wondering if someone out there could answer my query basically my partner & i are in receipt of child tax credits but he is also receiving disability living allowance (middle rate care & high rate mobility). A lady from tax credits advised me that i should be receiving disability element of tax credits but when i rang to make a claim for it another lady said that we are not entitled to this element. So now im somewhat confused:confused:

Thanks

Does your partner work and are you also claiming/in receipt of working tax credit? If you are then yes, you should receive the disability element. However if you are only getting child tax credit then your partners DLA award would not entitle you to any additional child tax credit. Hope this helps.

my mum gets the disability element for child tax credits for my brother as he is in reciept of DLA middle rate, perhaps you only get it if the DLA is for the child. (i may be wrong on this as i am not an expert of any kind, it just a theory)

As Animal Lover states, you can only get the disability or severe disability element for your partner if he qualifies for working tax credit, as it is part of the working tax credit element.

For the disbility element of child tax credit, as farmlama states, it must be the child who is disabled.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

I thought you could claim working tax credits if you worked 16 hours or more a week. I have no idea if you can claim the disability part of working tax for a partner.

The advice about the disability element of child tax credit is entirely right.

How about submitting a new claim in your name with your P60 - you've got nothing to lose.

Just remember that if you are claiming housing and/ or council tax benefit you will have to keep the council informed of any changes in income. If you are already getting this benefit do they know you are receiving dla care - you qualify for an additional premium - this means extra benefit so can't be bad. It also means while dla care is in payment any non-dependant does not have to make a contribution to either the housing or council tax bill.