diferrent address dvla and insurance company

blu ray
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5404 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi anyone give advice please i am on my freinds insurance and my name and address is on the V5 form who owns the car,, but on the insurance policy it is he who is the registered owner of the car and need to make a claim-----what have i done wrong i have been paying insurance on this for a while now will the insurance company pay out or am i at fault,,,thanks all

The name on the V5 is the person who is the registered Keeper, not the owner. When your friend took out the insurance policy though, they expect it to be in the name of the "main driver" which presumably is him (or at least you can justifiably state it is him). Now depending on how they phrased the question, they may have asked him who is the owner of the vehicle, which he could say is him, or they may have asked "is the car registered in your name", to which he would have had to tell them no.

thanks crem

so as you say "The name on the V5 is the person who is the registered Keeper, not the owner" but what if i am the owner but on my friends insurance policy he is down as the owner and i am registered to drive it at his address--have we commited fraud not that we have without knowing

thanks--i see the phase "fronting" on car insurance quite common is this what we are hopefully not commiting

but what if i am the owner but on my friends insurance policy he is down as the owner and i am registered to drive it at his address--have we commited fraud not that we have without knowing

Your friend has knowingly attempted to defraud the insurer by claiming to be the owner when establishing the policy, when clearly he is not

thanks--i see the phase "fronting" on car insurance quite common is this what we are hopefully not commiting
Confusion over owner and RK is not 'fronting'.

Fronting is when the policyholder is not the main driver. It is generally parents insuring a child's car to reduce the premiums who are the biggest group of culprits.

thanks patdavies

"Your friend has knowingly attempted to defraud the insurer by claiming to be the owner when establishing the policy, when clearly he is not"

so looks like we are in the wrong then---what could be worst case--insurance company not paying out,,,it was another car that hit me as i was going through green light at the time,,will i end or will we both end up in trouble

thanks

I'm not sure why a different name on the V5 and on the insurance policy will automatically constitute fraud allowing the insurance company to duck out of any payments.

If the name on the V5 is 1 of the 2 authorised drivers, and the car is owned by 1 of the 2 authorised drivers, and the name on the policy is 1 of the 2 authorised drivers, and the driver at the time of the accident was 1 of the 2 authorised drivers, where is the fraud?

blu ray, can you add some more info to this picture, coz there is obviously something more to this situation than you are telling us I think.

The insurance claim should be submitted and handled by the policy holder at all times. If the driver of the vehicle at the time was not the policy holder, but is a named driver I am not sure why any issue with the claim should arise. as you further state the accident was caused by a 3rd party going through a red light, then ultimately your insurance company should not be paying anything out.

I'm not sure why a different name on the V5 and on the insurance policy will automatically constitute fraud allowing the insurance company to duck out of any payments.

It won't - in itself. What constitutes fraud is that the 'friend' told the insurer that he was the owner, when he patently was not.

Blu Ray,

If what you say is correct regarding the other person hitting you after passing a red light then you can claim directly from them. How clear is the other drivers liability in this matter? Did anyone else witness the accident? Do you have all the details? If the accident is clearly the other drivers fault then it is that drivers insurance which should be paying and with this in mind you can claim directly from them without going through your own insurance.

I'm guessing that the police have already checked both drivers documents and have deemed them in good order? The police don't generally get involved with matters regarding 'small print' on insurance policies so as long as they see your name on the document then they'll be happy.

In the longer term however you need to consider what others have already stated re fronting. If you were involved in an accident and you were held liable then your insurance might dispute liability if they thought that you'd provided them with incorrect answers when the policy was applied for.

Nehpets

If the accident is clearly the other drivers fault then it is that drivers insurance which should be paying and with this in mind you can claim directly from them without going through your own insurance.

Regardless of this; you have had an accident and the policyholder will be contractually bound to inform your insurance company of this - whether claiming or not.

Regardless of this; you have had an accident and the policyholder will be contractually bound to inform your insurance company of this - whether claiming or not.

Yes - for sure.

This is clearly fronting.

This is your car which you use most if not all the time, I'm guessing your in your late teens and mum/dad has insured the car because its cheaper than you insuring it in your own name.

Your mum/dad commit offences of making false statement to obtain insurance under the road traffic act ("are you the owner and registered keeper of the vehicle Mrs Smith" . "yes I am" "will you be the main driver" "yes i will Little johny might drive it at weekends now and again" all of which has been recorded by the insurance company) and potentialy other criminal offences.

As far as your insurance is concerned if they find out they will drop your claim quicker than a quick thing leaving you open to all sorts of litigation. Being a newly qualified driver (Im guessing) you are a much greater risk than your parents and should pay a premium which reflects this.

Edited by katedog

hi thanks everyone all seems to be fine with insurance company,,,and no i'm not in my teens :) wish i was thou mid 40's---its just a mistake my parents thought it was my own policy so did i but after looking at the docs well a mix up we both have same names you see----should be all ok,,and yes i did get a witness the was about 3-4 cars that had to swerve out the way--so all being sorted now--thanks guys