Exploited/Discriminated - What to do?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5398 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thanks for your replies!

How do you know what other people were paid for doing your job?

I used to do the non-trading related company accounts in the first 3 years of my employment and still have access to all the bank/company statements. As well as all official internal company correspondence.

Have you asked why you didn't get the IT or year end bonus?

Fort the IT work, the MD just shrugged me off as in "he couldn't give a ****".

Regarding the year end bonus, I have not yet asked, but I will be getting my passport back from my solicitor today with my ILR endorsed and have a word with the MD about this whole issue. Will update here later today.

How "senior" to you were the other previous employees in the posts you took up?

They were in the job 3 or so years before me, but in terms of workload I did more than they did, about a 55/45 % split. Furthermore, the whole time during my employment up till Jan 2009 I was also acting as the MD's PA, for this I received nothing.

As a side note, because of our filing and communications system I can easily prove that I did the bulk of the work and acted as the MD's PA. If thats of any relevance.

You will need to be careful how you approach your MD about this. He may not be too happy about how you have been using / accessing company accounting information on his time.

It's possible he may come back at you with you weren't worth as much as the previous employees so he paid you less - So was your work as good as theirs? If not, I wouldn't pay you the same.:( - and after this, I would probably try and find a way to get rid of you.

Devil's advocate of course...

Edited by kurvaface
friday grammar

You will need to be careful how you approach your MD about this. He may not be too happy about how you have been using / accessing company accounting information on his time.

It's possible he may come back at you with you weren't worth as much as the previous employees so he paid you less - So was your work as good as theirs. If not, I wouldn't pay you the same.:( - and after this, I would probably try and find a way to get rid of you.

Devil's advocate of course...

Yeah, I figure he will try something like that. However, I can categorically prove that my quality of work is better than the people that I replaced, of course he will just ignore this fact if he wants. I will keep my sources regarding accounting info secret, will just say I had a discussion with the other employees about this. But there is no way he can justify paying an inexperienced ops manager who I am supposed to supervise more than me. Thats just blatantly BS. But yeah, lets see how my chat with him goes first.

Thanks again!

Be careful.

But there is no way he can justify paying an inexperienced ops manager who I am supposed to supervise more than me.

Remember, the MD is not in business for your benefit. His dividend and his family (Stepson) will come way before you every time so mind you don't get his back up.

You need to be very careful here. Accessing/discussing confidential staff information without authorisation can lead to disciplinary action; and simply saying that you had a discussion with other employees could get them into trouble as well. Also, if asked, these employees could turn around and say that they did not talk to you about this information and you could be in deep doo-doo.

At the end of the day, the MD can decide how much he pays to each employee unless the company has a collective agreement on pay and pay scales.

The tone of your original posting does sound a bit like sour grapes.

Thanks for the advice, I will revert soon.

But, I do think I am being taken for a ride, I do the bulk of this companies trading and get paid the least. If thats considered fair, well, I guess I will have to quit soon.

I am the only non-white, asian origin Muslim in the company and I feel that I am being deliberatly exploited and discriminated against. However, there has been no overt racial or any other derogotory remarks or otherwise made towards me.

Do you mind me asking - what has this got to do with anything?

Its sounds a bit like -

"Is it coz I is BLACK?"

No offence.... surely if the MD thought you were worth the money he would pay you more. I'm afraid I agree with Borisbeaver:(

Do you mind me asking - what has this got to do with anything?

Its sounds a bit like -

"Is it coz I is BLACK?"

No offence.... surely if the MD thought you were worth the money he would pay you more. I'm afraid I agree with Borisbeaver:(

Well, like I say. If I am doing most of the work and getting paid the least. My quality of work is better than my predecessors and yet I get paid the least... well, it seems that I am being discriminated against. The only difference between me and the others is my ethnicity. So not really even a stretch there. Of course my opinion is biased.

How do you measure the quality of your work?

I work in logistics, primarily to do with shipping, high value and high volumes. My turnover is quicker due to less mistakes and better knowledge of the financial instruments than my predecessors, which in turn means that the Co can do more business. On top of this, I am supposed to train/supervise the new guy so that he can do the same job as me, he has no experience, has not done any of this work yet, but gets paid more than me. Makes no sense to me and I dont really see how they can expect me to show him anything with this sort of treatment.

Perhaps you should go to an employment tribunal....

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. But on what grounds would an ET be, discrimination?

In my current job, I do a lot more work than my supervisor, who is about as much use a a chocolate fire guard. My supervisor slopey shoulders all of their work to me and takes a lot of praise. Sound's familiar?

If you don't like the pay you are receiving, then you could always find another job that pays better.

I am the only non-white, asian origin Muslim in the company and I feel that I am being deliberatly exploited and discriminated against. However, there has been no overt racial or any other derogotory remarks or otherwise made towards me.

I don't get why you think being an Asian Muslim is the route of your pay difference. Unless you are all clones I don't see why other people's pay is any of your business.

In my current job, I do a lot more work than my supervisor, who is about as much use a a chocolate fire guard. My supervisor slopey shoulders all of their work to me and takes a lot of praise. Sound's familiar?

If you don't like the pay you are receiving, then you could always find another job that pays better.

Yeah, does sound familiar, but its still unfair.

I will do once the job market picks up again.

I don't get why you think being an Asian Muslim is the route of your pay difference. Unless you are all clones I don't see why other people's pay is any of your business.

I just think its unfair that I do the work, better faster and more of it at a cheaper price than my predecessors, yet some kid can come in of the street and without any effort, experience or actual work done can get paid more than me.

The reason my boss knows I am Muslim is because of my name and the fact that I am the only non-white person at work and look kinda different. I dont have any other reason to think why the MD would create such disparity in his employees wages. It seems pretty simple, I am different to the rest of the comapny, I get treated differently. Work wise he cant fault me and I can easily prove it to him or anyone. I dont see any other reason for him treating me this way.

Hi Azer,

Am very sorry about the situation you are going through. At the end of the day, the question you need to answer is how do you expect this story to end - there are 2 possible endings - one end would be to go to a tribunal and irrespective of the tribunal's outtcome( and an uphill one at that) you continue to work, after which your employer will definitely have a black mark against you which may or may not create issues in the future - the other option is to actively seek employement outside and prove to your current employer your worth when you get another offer - that is possibly the best negotiation option you would get - if your MD values your services he will retain you else you have another job in hand anyways. Whether the MD follows discriminatory practices , he/she would have to put all that aside when trying to retain an employee who will leave if not treated equally - since at the end of the day its his business..if other employees are not as competitive and agressive the final loss is the MDs. Hope this helps.

There rarely exists a perfect company where a person can effect perfect employement.

Just My thoughts,

George.

• Haha 1

In which case you should go for the tribunal. You would need a backup job in place and you should try and seek renumeration for previous years too.

I think approaching your boss about this should be after you have another job in place because in this climate it would be really easy for him to let you go and only then should you use the tribunal option.

I still think you have a problem with snooping into accounts etc. If you did that in my company you would be out..... immediately.

Thanks for your views everyone. I think I will just wait for the new season to start and for the newbie to shoot himself in the foot. They then will have to rely on me to get things done, which I will if they meet my demands. Will also start looking for another job meanwhile.

Regarding snooping.. well, its not so much snooping as their carelessness.

But only if the company had an Internet usage policy..:lol:

Yep :)

Regarding snooping.. well, its not so much snooping as their carelessness.

You may wish to justify it to yourself like that, but it is snooping and may even potentially move into criminal activity within the realms of the Computer Misuse Act.