• Tweets

• Perfect. Nice and brief and to the point. You don't bother to start telling your life story. Just the way it should be. Send it off. You have probably done enough reading to understand that it won't make any difference don't start drafting your particulars of claim. Open an account with the MoneyClaim County Court system and start preparing. Post your particulars of claim here before you click it off. You may have noticed that at some point you will be asked if you want to go to mediation on this. We used to advise it but now we recommend that you decline mediation and go to trial. Your chances of success are much better than 95%. Going to trial will incur an additional hearing fee but of course you will get that back. However if you go to mediation, they will simply try to penny pinch and to get you to compromise and also they will sign you up to a confidentiality agreement and probably threaten you if you breach it. Not only that, if the mediation fails because you stand your ground, it will add additional delay while they then give you a date to go to trial. The best thing to do is to decline mediation – prepare for court hearing. Pay the extra fee. The chances are that rather than get a judgement against them they will then offer you a full settlement rather than go to court. If they do offer you full settlement then you will be obliged to accept it – but that's what you want. If they don't offer you full settlement then you will go to trial and there will be a judgement against them. Just so that you understand, our first interest is that you get your money back – but a close second is that it does go to trial and there is a judgement which we will then be able to use to help other people. Anyway as you should realise, we will help you all the way.
    • I sent a parcel to Singapore but i spelt the address incorrecltly by 1 letter so the parcel couldnt be delivered and was returned back to the Uk but checking the tracking today the parcel had returned to the UK but is somehow on its way back to Singapore as the tracking says "Item leaving the UK"    Ive spoken ( tweeted) Royal Mail help who confirm that the parcel seems to be going back to Singapore and that if its not " Delivered" by the 29th of April theyll deem it as lost and will accept a claim but i cant remeber when booking what the compensation amount was but i dont think it covers the amount of the item.  As it was my fault that it wasnt delivered in the first place can i trey and claim the full amount back ? i think if i remember correctly it was £50 compensation but the item was £170 So the timeline is thus ...   22nd Of March .    Booked via P2G & dropped off a Post Office.  25th March arrives in Singapore and goes through customs ect ect 26th   Incorrect address and item is flagged as "return to sender" 28th Item leaves Overseas intenational processing centre 15th of April , Item is leaving the Uk (Again)   ?    
    • Post the NTK up here for the regulars to double-check. I highly doubt it's compliant with POFA though. Ignore the deforestation that comes unless it's ever a letter of claim. Any luck with the organ grinder?
    • Probably the case @lookinforinfo Also an update, I've got the registered keeper letter. Just to check that I continue to ignore it until PAP letter comes in?
    • Thanks very much Bank. I've now done a lot of reading and have drafted my Letter of Claim as attached. I look forward to your comments. 16Apr24 draft Letter of Claim against Parcel2Go.pdf16Apr24 draft Letter of Claim against Parcel2Go.pdf16Apr24 draft Letter of Claim against Parcel2Go.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Graphics Card Overheated

Styphon
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5358 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone. I'm trying to get some advice on my legal rights regarding to a graphics card overheating and a component on the board melting.

I have had a XFX GeForce 9800GT purchased from Scan.co.uk on 29/08/2008. The card has a 2 year warranty on it. I have sent an e-mail to Scan.co.uk requesting a copy of the warranty.

I bought a new game, Blood Bowl, for my PC. 10 minutes into my first game my PC turned off and wouldn't turn back on. I opened it up and found that it was very hot inside. Checking the graphics card I could feel unusually high levels of heat radiating from the card. I decided to leave it overnight to cool. The next morning I tried to switch my PC back on with no joy (the PC fans would cycle for all of half a second before it powered off). I took the computer apart to try and find the problem. As I pulled the card out I noticed one of the plastic components had melted.

I contacted XFX, the manufacturer, and Scan.co.uk, the retailer. XFX quickly responded telling me I had to deal with Scan.co.uk as they were responsible for any warranty.

I sent the item back to Scan using their returns procedure. They received the card and identified the card as damaged. Through their system they sent me an automated e-mail telling me they had Rejected the warranty based on the card being damaged. I phoned them up and an operator told me not to worry, it was standard for this to be done. The card would be sent back to the manufacturer for annalysis and that they would replace the card.

I thought nothing of it until a few days later (today) I received an e-mail from Scan.co.uk. I have pasted the e-mail below:

Mr T,

Hi, I have been advised that we require you to sign the following form as we are returning the item to the manufacturer, please print and sign the item and either email us the item or post it to us to the usual scan returns address putting your RMA number on the form.

Warranty Void / Physical Damage / Out of Warranty

Date:____/____/20____

Invoice_________RMA___________OLQ_____________

Product_______________________SCIL______________

Dear Sir/Madam,

This is to confirm that the recent return of your goods has resulted in one or more items being deemed *warranty void / physically damaged / out of warranty.

As such Scan Computers cannot take any further direct action in providing a replacement unit at this time. Normal procedures would leave us with no alternative but to reject your warranty and take no further action.

However, as a company with a high priority in Customer Service it has been agreed with a line manager to return the item directly to the relevant manufacturer on your behalf in an attempt to source a replacement.

In doing so we have to make clear this is NOT an acceptance of fault or guarantee that we will be successful in obtaining a replacement for you, we will try our best for you, acting above and beyond our normal operating procedures, we will do this as quickly and as swiftly as we possible can, however, no timeframe can be guaranteed.

As such we need you to sign the agreement form below, which acts as your acceptance to this action.

*Delete as appropriate

Customer Name________________________Inv No.__________________

I confirm that I agree to the above action being taken by Scan Computers, I understand this action is NOT a guarantee that Scan Computers will be successful in obtaining a replacement and I agree no guaranteed timeframe for this action can be given, however, I understand you will work to resolve this as quickly as possible

Signed (Customer)____________________________Date____/____/20____

Print Name__________________________________

Authorised by (SCAN)_________________________Date____/____/20____

Print Name__________________________________

Michael W

Scan Computers

The set of characters in the subject uniquely identifies your query. When replying to this email please ensure that these characters remain unaltered.

This message is entirely the creation of its author in his or her personal capacity and any views expressed in this message are the views of that author. Accordingly, Scan Computers Intl Ltd shall not be nor become liable in any way, whether contractually, tortuously or otherwise, in respect of anything stated or depicted in this message. Please also note that this message shall not constitute an offer or an acceptance or be legally binding upon Scan Computers Intl Ltd in any way.

To me this looks like I am releasing Scan.co.uk of their obligations to replace the card under warranty. Needless to say I haven't signed this yet.

I'm asking where do I stand with this? Should I sign this waver? Even if the card is physically damaged do they have to replace the card?

NOTE: Just as I was typing this I have received a response to my query for a full copy of the warranty:

Mr T,

Hi

Further to your mail, warranty covers faulty items. Damage to any item is not covered under warranty, in this situation we have to have a disclaimer signed so we can send the item to the manufacturer for them to check it and maybe repair the item.

As it is physically damaged there is no guarantee for a repair hence having the disclaimer signed.

Regards

It appears they are doing everything they can not to give me the full warranty for me to read through. I cannot find it anywhere on their site. Are they obligated to give me a copy of the warranty at my request?

Thanks in advance,

Tony.

Edited by Styphon

I can't find any mention on their site of the 2 year warranty, is that the warranty that was included in the box with the card?

No, I actually thought it was a year but when I asked for the warranty information by e-mail I was told it was 2 years.

Asus P5N-E SLi. Purchased on the same date (my whole system was).

No, I've never overclocked any part of this system. It's been running at stock from day 1.

I assume they are talking about physical damage. Have your got the card back again as you will need it.

After the first six months of ownership, the sale of good act says that it is up to you to show there is an inherent fault with it.

You take it to an independent engineer for a report and confirmation that it is damaged by an electrical fault, (they might charge you for this).

A copy of that report should be sent to Scan Computers with the card and mentioning the SOGA, ask them to repair or replace.

Don't sign that email they sent you although it is unlawful to try and get someone to sign away their rights and could land them in trouble.

Any fee payable for the report will be reclaimable from Scan.

Just read your original post again

What physical damage are they talking about?

They still have the card. They want to return it to XFX to see if XFX will replace it as a faulty component. They want me to sign the waiver before they will send it to XFX.

The damage is the melted component on the board.

Well that's not physical damage, that was caused by the electrical fault on it.

They have to return it to you as it is your property and then you can get it checked yourself before returning it.

You could let them know that you wont sign away any rights and that under soga they either repair or replace or return it to you.

Just trying to see where this is going. If there is a proven fault with the card then they have to replace it? If I sign that waver am I releasing them of their obligation to replace the card under warranty? I would like to have them return the card to XFX first to see if XFX will replace it, but if XFX won't I want to know what I can do about it. I don't want to have to deal with this myself if XFX will replace the card (apparently in 95% of cases they do).

Your not looking at the warranty here as you haven't got a copy of it so you don't know what it contains.

The sale of goods act give you certain rights up to six years after purchase and covers you for goods not of satisfactory quality.

If you could ask again for a copy of the warranty that would be good and it will 'not' preclude any further action under soga which is your main recourse of action.

Normal procedures would leave us with no alternative but to reject your warranty and take no further action.

Lets forget all the rest. Write that you are not proceeding under the warranty but under soga and request they either replace or repair.

XFX are a pretty reputable company, obviously going around scan isn't a good idea as you lose some of your rights under the SOGA, but saying that, if you are stuck and you mention to them that scan are making you jump through hoops I'm sure they'd be willing to do something.

Most of the enthusiast PC companies rely heavily on word of mouth and good reviews to promote their business so their customer services tend to be quite flexible.

Here's a copy of your warantee, for all xfx Geforce 9 series cards

WARRANTY INFORMATION

XFX warrants that the Product shall conform to and perform in accordance with published technical specifications and the accompanying written materials, and shall be free of defects in materials and workmanship. XFX does not sell its Product directly to the consumer therefore the warranty for XFX Products remains the responsibility of your reseller where you purchased the Product.

This warranty offered by XFX to its Resellers is limited to the repair and/or replacement, at XFXs discretion, of defective or nonconforming Product, and XFX shall not be responsible for the failure of the Product to perform specified functions, or any other non- conformance caused by or attributable to: (a) any misapplication, modification or misuse of the Product; (b) failure of Customer to adhere to any of XFXs specifications or instructions; © neglect of, abuse of, or accident to, the Product; or (d) any associated or complementary equipment or software not furnished by XFX.

Should you experience any difficulty obtaining a fair and proper warranty service from any of our Resellers please do not hesitate to contact us via the Support Ticketing System where we will do our best to help you.

LIMITATION OF LIABILITY

EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY PROVIDED HEREIN, XFX MAKES NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, WITH RESPECT TO ANY EQUIPMENT, PARTS OR SERVICES PROVIDED PURSUANT TO THIS AGREEMENT, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. NEITHER XFX OR ITS DEALER SHALL BE LIABLE FOR ANY OTHER DAMAGES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, WHETHER IN AN ACTION IN CONTRACT OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE AND STRICT LIABILITY), SUCH AS, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LOSS OF ANTICIPATED PROFITS OR BENEFITS RESULTING FROM, OR ARISING OUT OF, OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OF FURNISHING OF EQUIPMENT, PARTS OR SERVICES HEREUNDER OR THE PERFORMANCE, USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE SAME, EVEN IF XFX OR ITS DEALER HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. IN NO EVENT WILL XFX OR ITS DEALERS TOTAL LIABILITY EXCEED THE PRICE PAID FOR THE PRODUCT.

Where dictated by State Law, some of the above exclusions or limitations may not be applicable in some states. This warranty provides specific legal rights; other rights that vary from state to state may also exist. This warranty shall not be applicable to the extent that any Federal, State or Municipal Law that cannot be preempted prohibits any provision of this warranty. HARDWARE PRODUCT WARRANTY DETAILS

WARRANTY PERIOD: XFX warranties hardware Product for a period of one (1) year from purchase from an authorised XFX reseller (proof of purchase will be required). WARRANTY PROCEDURE: Upon return of the hardware Product XFX will, at its option, repair or replace Product at no additional charge, freight prepaid, except as set forth below. Repair parts and replacement Product will be furnished on an exchange basis and will be either reconditioned or new. All replaced Product and parts become the property of XFX. If XFX determines that the Product is not under warranty, it will, at the Customers option, repair the Product using current XFX standard rates for parts and labor, and return the Product UPS Ground at no charge in or out of warranty.

So basicly, so long as you've kept it ventalated, didn't overclock it, modify it, or liquid cool it, your fine.

Your not looking at the warranty here as you haven't got a copy of it so you don't know what it contains.

The sale of goods act give you certain rights up to six years after purchase and covers you for goods not of satisfactory quality.

If you could ask again for a copy of the warranty that would be good and it will 'not' preclude any further action under soga which is your main recourse of action.

Lets forget all the rest. Write that you are not proceeding under the warranty but under soga and request they either replace or repair.

But isn't that as good as signing the waver anyway? In which case wouldn't it be better to sign the waver, see if XFX will replace the card. If they do all is good. If not then proceed to have the card replaced under SOGA?

They have already rejected it under warranty and are just asking that you agree it is physically damaged and that they have no further committment under warranty.

It isn't damaged except electrically by the fault.

Please do even if all turns out well as others can read how you got on and it will help them.

You never know, this may have been a bad batch of condensers (or whatever) and they have had a few returned with the same problem.

OK, so if I sign that form and have them send it off to XFX and XFX fail to replace it I can still ask them to replace it at a later date under SOGA?

I can't say I would agree this is the correct route. My reasoning would be that you are not concerned with the approach to how Scan correct the problem. Your contract is with Scan not the manufacturer.

I take real issue with the wording of the form they sent you, particularly;

As such Scan Computers cannot take any further direct action in providing a replacement unit at this time. Normal procedures would leave us with no alternative but to reject your warranty and take no further action.

However, as a company with a high priority in Customer Service it has been agreed with a line manager to return the item directly to the relevant manufacturer on your behalf in an attempt to source a replacement.

This is implying that Scan have no responsibility in the matter other than offering you a goodwill gesture of sending the item for you. They want you to sign the form in agreement - whether the form is enforcable or not, if you sign they will use it as leverage that you were in agreement with them at the time.

The other way to look at this form is the options for you to confirm;

This is to confirm that the recent return of your goods has resulted in one or more items being deemed *warranty void / physically damaged / out of warranty

• Warranty void. That is there opinion, not yours and for them to confirm or demonstrate.
  • Physically Damaged. What is the definition? That the card is 'physically damaged' as in resultant from an impact or mis-use. Or that the card is 'damaged' as in resultant from a latent defect. You are of the latter opinion, but I bet they want an admission of the former.
  • Out of Warranty. They have already demonstrated to you that this is not the case.

So what exactly are they looking for you to confirm in this form? Think about it. The only thing you could confirm is Physical Damage and admitting that would wipe your SOGA rights out with the admission as no definition is attached to the term.

This is just wrong. It is Scans responsibility. I do not believe an engineers report is even needed. The evidence is there already - a melted component on the card. This 'damage' you have reported appears to be perceived as or being co-erced as by Scan as 'physical damage' (impact/misuse) - rather than from a fault on the card (defect/premature component failure).

- By not signing the form, what are Scan going to do? They can't just say 'well tough luck'. You are not detrimenting yourself in any way.

- By signing the form you are agreeing with Scan that the warranty does not apply and cutting that option off as an added extra to your statutory rights - and possibly admitting damage beyond the responsibility of either Scan or the OEM.

Now you see that's what I was asking. If I sign that form am I waving my rights under SOGA to have it replaced as it's not even a year old? I got the answer that this form in no way affects my statutory rights under SOGA.

They say the warranty doesn't apply to physical damage of any kind, so signing off that I agree they don't have to replace it under warranty shouldn't affect my rights under SOGA, correct?

The problem as I see it, is that if you sign the form stating warranty is not valid due to Physical Damage, then Scan can claim you have acknowledged/admitted that the card has been subjected to Physical Damage from misuse (or use beyond its design parameters).

This is in opposition to the true problem that the card has become damaged due to a pre-existing fault/latent defect that was present when you purchased it.

Now if this was restricted to the warranty only, then all well and good, but what happens when you try to enforce your stat. rights and they present the admission of physical damage, as signed by you. SOGA wont cover you where physical damage is concerned, whether intended or accidental.

You need to go back to Scan and request them to send a copy of the warranty conditions. This is not so much as to see whats in them, but to give you a little more leverage if they continue to deny their responsibility.

For example, if this went to court, it would not look so good for Scan if you can demonstrate they refused to even supply you details of something you are legally entitled to. I can even see an angle there for claim of breach for Scan not supplying you with the product you purchased. i.e. the warranty itself.

As Conniff has said. Don't sign the waiver - you are under no obligation to do so. And if they refuse to supply a copy of the warranty (or even if you get a copy and it turns out to be pants) ask them to repair or replace under SOGA. If they then go on to deny you any action, they are committing a criminal offense due to denying you of your statutory rights.

As I said previously, your proof that the board had a defect is already in place. In the form of a visible burnt out (melted) component and a board that will not function after 1 years standard use. An engineers report will only say the same thing. You have demonstrated the board to be defective and the onus has now shifted to the supplier to demonstrate to the contrary or R/R/R. If Scan want to go back to the manufacturer, that is their call and should not involve you except for the courtesy of letting you know what they are doing.

If you end up having to get an engineers report done, in order to move things forward, then you need to be reimbursed for it by Scan.

Despite what they would have you believe in their form, anything they get out of the manufacturer is to their benefit - not yours. If they manage to get a new card or a certified repair, then everyone might be happy. But if the manufacturer comes back and says no dice, then it is still up to Scan to put things right. And above all, they don't need you to sign a waiver to send that card to the manufacturer. The purpose of that form is suspicious at best!

So what exactly are they looking for you to confirm in this form? Think about it. The only thing you could confirm is Physical Damage and admitting that would wipe your SOGA rights out with the admission as no definition is attached to the term.

Your rights under the Sale of Goods Act cannot be "excluded, over-ridden or taken away". You cannot even sign a waiver to reduce your rights, the regulations will not accept it and any waiver will have no meaning in law, you cannot lose your rights under SOGA.

This is why all these terms and conditions are just gobbledy gook. What ever they say, tell you you can or can't do, they know it is all rubbish because they wipe out their T&Cs by saying 'Your statutory rights are not affected'.

_________________________ ___________________

If my posting has been of any assistance - please tip my scales.

Foreign Aid - taxing poor people in rich countries for the benefit of rich people in poor countries.

Make a Report to Consumer Direct Here

Poll: Who will you vote for in the next General Election?

· Labour · Conservative · Liberal · Other · (Results)

Edited by Conniff