• Tweets

• This is the other sign  parking sign 1a.pdf
    • 4 means that they need to name and then tell the people who will be affected that there has been an application made, what the application relates to (specificially "whether it relates to the exercise of the court’s jurisdiction in relation to P’s property and affairs, or P’s personal welfare, or to both) and what this application contains (i.e what order they want made as a result of it) 5 just means that teh court think it is important that the relevant people are notified 7 means that the court need more information to make the application, hence they have then made the order of paragraph 1 which requires the applicant to do more - this means the court can't make a decision with the current information, and need more, hence paragraph one of the order is for the applicant to do more. paragraph 3 of the order gives you the ability to have it set aside, although if it was made in january you are very late. Were you notiifed of the application or not?    
    • These are the photos of the signs. At the entrance there is a 7h free sign. On some bays there is a permit sign.  Also their official website is misleading as it implies all parking is free.  I can't be certain of the exact parking bay I was in that day, and there was no PCN ticket on my car and no other evidence was provided.  parking sign 2.pdf
    • Hi, In my last post I mentioned I had received an email from SS who were asking me to hand over the keys to my mother’s flat so they could pass them to the Law firm who have been appointed court of protection to access, secure and insure my mother’s property.  Feeling this, all quickly getting out of my hands I emailed ss requesting proof of this. I HAVEN’T HEARD BACK FROM SS.  Yesterday, I received an email (with attached court of protection order) from the Law Firm confirming this was correct (please see below a copy of this).  After reading the court of protection order I do have some concerns about it:   (a)   I only found out yesterday, the Law firm had been appointed by the court back in January.  Up until now, I have not received any notification regarding this.  (b)   Section 2   - States I am estranged from my mother.  This is NOT CORRECT    The only reason I stepped back from my mother was to protect myself from the guy (groomer) who had befriended her & was very aggressive towards me & because of my mother’s dementia she had become aggressive also.  I constantly tried to warned SS about this guy's manipulative behaviour towards my mother and his increasing aggressiveness towards me (as mentioned in previous posts).  Each time I was ignored.  Instead, SS encouraged his involvement with my mother – including him in her care plans and mental health assessments.   I was literally pushed out because I feared him and my mother’s increasing aggression towards me. Up until I stepped back, I had always looked after my mother and since her admission to the care home, I visit regularly.   .(c)    Sections -  4, 5 and 7  I am struggling to understand these as I don’t have a legal background.  I was wondering if there is anyone who might be able to explain what they mean.  It’s been a horrendous situation where I had to walk away from my mother at her most vulnerable because of; ss (not helping), scammer and groomer. I have no legal background, nor experience in highly manipulative people or an understanding of how the SS system operates, finding myself isolated, scared and powerless to the point I haven’t collected my personal belongings and items for my mother’s room in the care home.  Sadly, the court has only had heard one version of this story SS’s, and based their decision on that. My mother’s situation and the experience I have gone through could happen to anyone who has a vulnerable parent.    If anyone any thoughts on this much appreciated.  Thank you. ______________________________________________________  (Below is the Court of Protection Order)  COURT OF PROTECTION                                                                                                                                                                                   No xxx  MENTAL CAPACITY ACT 2005 In the matter of Name xxx ORDER Made by  Depty District Judge At xxx Made on xxx Issued on 18 January 2024  WHEREAS  1.     xxx Solicitors, Address xxx  ("Applicant”) has applied for an order under the Mental Capacity Act 2005.  2.     The Court notes (my mother) is said to be estranged from all her three children and only one, (me) has been notified.  3.     (Me) was previously appointed as Atorney for Property and Affairs for (my mother).  The Exhibity NAJ at (date) refers to (me) and all replacement Attorneys are now officially standing down.  4.     Pursuant to Rule 9.10 of the Court of Protection Rules 2017 and Practice Direction 9B the Applicant 2must seek to identify at least three persons who are likely to have an interest in being notified that an application has been issues.”  The children of (my mother), and any other appointed attorneys are likely to have an interest in the application, because of the nature of relationship to (my mother).  5.     The Court considers that the notification requirements are an important safeguard for the person in respect of whom an order is sought.  6.     The Court notes that it is said that the local authority no longer has access to (my mother’s) Property.  7.     Further information is required for the Court to determine the application.  IT IS ORDERED THAT  Within 28 days of the issue date this order, the Applicant shall file a form COP24 witness statement confirming that the other children of (my mother) and any replacement attorneys have been notified of the application and shall confirm their name, address, and date upon which those persons were notified.  If the Applicant wishes the Court to dispense with any further notification, they should file a COP9 and COP24 explaining, what steps (if any) have been taken to attempt notification and why notification should be dispensed with.   Pending the determination of the application to appoint a deputy for (my mother), the Applicant is authorised to take such steps as are proportionate and necessary to access, secure and insure the house and property of (my mother).   This order was made without a hearing and without notice.  Any person affected by this order may apply within 21 days of the date on which the order was served to have the order set aside or varied pursuant to Rule 13.4 of the Court of Protection Rules 2017 (“the Rules”).  Such application must be made on Form COP9 and in accordance with Part 10 Rules.              
    • Unless I've got an incorrect copy of the relevant regulation: The PCN is only deemed to have arrived two days after dispatch "unless the contrary is proved" in which case date of delivery does matter (not just date of posting) and I would like clarification of the required standard of proof. It seems perhaps this hasn't been tested. Since post is now barcoded for the Post Office's own tracking purposes perhaps there is some way I can get that evidence from the Post Office...
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Tricky Landlord - Help Please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5350 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, We've recently moved out of a rented flat. The tenancy agreement said we had to give a months notice. When my husband went to do this the landlord was all, "no no don't worry move out when you want I'll refund you any overpayment in rent." Thinking ourselves lucky to have such a nice landlord we duly moved out 10 days early.

Check out was completed, agreed no defects and deposit would be refunded in full. Duly received, banked, cleared. Still no 10 days rent. So we wrote and asked for it. LL claims to have found teeny weeny burn mark in kitchen worktop next to cooker and has produced quote for £130 for replacement of whole thing and on that basis is witholding refund of rent.

I would say defect not detected at check out - can't prove we're liable (fair wear and tear anyway after 4 years?) and he should still adhere to arrangement to refund overpayment in rent. What would anyone more knowledgeable say?

Thanks x

I would say what you say - check out inventory done and dusted, signed by both parties, I hope, that's an end to it.

I should send him a letter before action asking formally for the return of your monies as agreed. However, how was the agreement arrived at? Verbal or written, because if verbal its his word against yours unless your husband had a credible witness with him when this was said. If written, well, he released you early!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you (and sorry for late reply - been away).

We issued proceedings via MCOL. He has entered counter claim - so it looks like we're going to Court...

Agreement was verbal but he confirmed it in writing. Only problem is the letter seems to have gone astray in the move.... I'm thinking though, I know he copied it to the managing agents - can I subject access request it out of them do you think?

Yes, do an SAR request and see what comes back, hopefully it will be in time for the Court date. Just say that you wish to have a copy of their file, including all data they hold so on and so forth, but I wouldn;t specifically refer to this letter at this stage, see if it comes back with the info first. Either hand deliver it or send it registered.

Also have another very good look for the original, it has to be somewhere if you know you don't generally bin things like that.

Your defence will be that there were no problems or damage afterwards; you have signed and dated documentation to this effect, and have received your deposit back. You were unaware of any mark or chip in the worktop, and you certainly didn;t cause it. You cannot be responsible for what happens in the property after you have vacated. You agreed to leave early with the landlords good wishes and you have this in writing (we hope!). Of course, don't forget to say that you went to give the correct notice, and only left early because he was agreeable to that.

What happens next is up to the judge but without that letter, you left early, and were liable for the last bit of rent on the face of it. So you need to obtain it. If you can;t find your copy, and the agents don't come up with the goods, no harm in putting in your defence that you are waiting for a copy of it from the managing agents/they have ommitted it from your SAR - and then you'll need to take that up with themif you want to.

Don't worry about going to Court, its a matter of being prepared and a bit of deep breathing beforehand. Its only County Court, very informal, but just take a breath before you speak, and run quickly through yourmind what you want to come out of your mouth, stay calm, and don;t feel intimidated, the judge will help you. You should be in and out within about 10 minutes with luck.

Fingers crossed and I hope all goes well.

Hi pink1,

I am not a betting man but if I were I would back you to win this case. As jackieandwayne have already stated, the check out is what its all about and if no burn mark was detected at that point then how on earth can they prove it was you that did it? In addition, burn mark in a kitchen could reasonably be considered fair wear and tear - lots of hot pans, kettles, etc it is certain that it would happen at some point.

TFT

09/07/09 :)Business Studies BA(Hons) 2:1:)

eCar Insurance overpayment - £325

Settled in full - 15/09/08

NatWest Student A/C bank charges - £260

Settled under hardship scheme - 08/06/09

Natwest Business A/C bank charges - £60

Settled in full as GOGW - 20/04/09

Santander Consumer Finance late payment fees - £60

Part settled for £48 - 01/03/08

Peugeot Finance late payment fees - £50

Settled in full before county court hearing - 01/09/09

Peugeot Finance overpayment of £247

Settled in full - 01/12/08

Valley Leisure - complaint about collections agent

£160 part refund of gym membership in compensation - 01/02/09

HFC Bank - complaint about payment deducted from my account on wrong date

GOGW £10 - 01/05/09

Thank you, both, feeling a bit calmer about the prospect of court now....

Haven't received the allocation questionnaire yet - subject access request sent today. Fingers crossed the timings work out and I guess I'm spending my weekend unpacking those last few boxes in the spare room!

Do you think it's worth subject access requesting the LL directly too? He's an officious so and so - sure he'd keep copies of all his letters!

Well, you could, but if it were me I wouldn't want to give my defence away at this stage. I'm hoping the agent won't tell the landlord about your SAR - they really shouldn'.t

On the other hand if the landlord realises what your defence will be, he may well see the error of his ways and give you your money back.

Its your call - you know him!

So we've received the details of his counter-claim :lol:.

Firstly - and most interestingly - he admits that he agreed to refund the rent for the period in question!!

Secondly - and less interestingly - he is claiming £680.79!! This is made up of £138 for the replacement of the entire kitchen worktop (really? for one little burn mark??) which we were expecting but also £542.79 in rent!! He says we "deliberately ignored the contract terms of giving written notice which if it had been adhered to the notice to leave would have been 9th June 2009. The loss of rent equates to 26 days" Not sure how he works this out...

Having calmed down and put my rational head back on surely the salient facts remain that the "damage" was not detected at the "check out" and as for the rent issue the tenancy agreement was terminated with the full refund of our deposit (right?), surely he can't go back and change his mind now?

Edited by pink1

So now I'm thinking - given that he admitted that he agreed to refund the monies to us has he infact entered an admission and a counter claim? He (and the court) are calling it a defence and a counter claim but he doesn't defend our claim for the repayment in the rent... Should I ask (can I ask?) for the status of what he has entered to be altered?

I am worried though about the prospect of facing a £600 claim against us. We can't afford it... The man is (IMHO) a bully (I, in fact, left the checkout in tears) and we don't want him to get away with this as a matter of principle though. I'm not worried about the claim for the worktop because as jackieandwayne and TFT say it wasn't detected at the checkout - it's the rent bit that's bothering me. Rationally I'm sure he can't change his mind now and he's just trying to make us withdraw, but I'd really appreciate it if someone more knowledgebale could let me have their thoughts please?

Thank you x

Edited by pink1

Ok, as i read it, he admits your claim. So he will be ordered to pay you.

If you click on the warning triangle this will alert the site team that you need a legal eye cast over this - as i am not a lawyer, just a HO.

However, your claim is to do with the rent (a money claim), whereas his counter claim is to do with the deposit (which should have been protected). Now this is where I am not sure, but I would imagine the judge will just disregard it or whatever, (a) because he released your deposit in full to you, on the back of an agreed satisfactory check out inventory and (b) issues to do with tenancy deposits are a different matter and dealt with in a different way, (I think) and there is no issue with the deposit since he has returned it to you in full.

I'd love to know if I am right, but if the site team are unavailable for any reason, then you can pop along to your local Shelter office for advise - they'll soon put you straight with this.

Post back if you do go to Shelter, your experience will help lots of people on here.

And, always remember, you cannot get blood out of a stone, so if the landlord should win (I doubt) then tell the judge that you can only afford a quid a week!

"If you click on the warning triangle this will alert the site team that you need a legal eye cast over this"

When I do that it says, only to use it to report abusive posts etc? Being a newbie I don't want to do anything too naughty...

whereas his counter claim is to do with the deposit (which should have been protected)

Don't think so - it was paid over four years ago...

Thank you so much for your continued help with this - I'm off to find Shelters's website!

Px

Thank you. I wondered, from some of your other posts, if you might help me with the more legal slant jackieandwayne suggested I get... I have e-mailed Shelter but they can take 3 days to reply and I am stressing a little...

given that he admitted that he agreed to refund the monies to us has he infact entered an admission and a counter claim? He (and the court) are calling it a defence and a counter claim but he doesn't defend our claim for the repayment in the rent... Should I ask (can I ask?) for the status of what he has entered to be altered?

What do you think?

Also are my instincts right about him changing his mind about the rent and notice period etc? Is it that he is estopped from enforcing the term of the tenancy requiring a month from the commencement date or is is that given that the tenancy agreement no longer exists the terms of it are no longer enforceable?

Thank you so much,

Px

Site team aware. When does your defence need to be in by ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

It seems pretty clear-cut to me:

1. He agrees he let you leave early so the stuff about a month's written notice is nomesense

2. You have the signed check out sheet sayong no defects.

He hasn't a leg to stand on IMO. Just hold on in there and make these points in your statement of case and in court.

In fact, you could go one better, you could apply for his defence to be struck out on these 2 bases under CPR Part 3.4 (2)(a) as defence discloses no reasonable grounds for defending the claim nor for bringing a counter claim. Include that in the apprpriate place on the AQ - you could do it in 'other information' - something like

"the defendant, on his own admission in his defence, released me from the requirement for 1 month's written notice and, further, signed an inventory on termination of my lease agreeing that there were no defects in the property. On this basis I request the court to issue an order stiking out the defendant's defence and counter claim under CPR part 3.4(2)(a) as disclosing no resonable grounds for defending the claim nor for bringing a counter claim"

Yes, your defence would be based on the same 2 points.

('CPR' = Civil Procedure Rules - see PART 3 - THE COURT'S CASE MANAGEMENT POWERS - Ministry of Justice)

PS - I have recently helped someone else win a case based on a verbal agreement for over £50k as a litigant in person

Ahha! Shall I ask the Court to make a consequential order for him to pay up? I'll work on a draft over the weekend...

Is there a thread for your amazing sounding win?

Is there a thread for your amazing sounding win?
Unfortunately not. It was pretty simple really - my freind's company did some urgent work for another company without a written contract ('cos it was urgent, see), sent an invoice and then the other comapny refused to pay them on the basis that their end-custimer hadn't paid them.

Tough, I said. We started a claim in the County Court based on e-mails which showed that the other company has requested work, had accepted work as being acceptable, had refused to pay. Once we sent copies of these e-mails to their solicitors they advised their client they hadn't a hope of winning so they paid up.

The admission in the defence and the signed inventory correspond to the e-mails in the above case.