You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

AllyG

advice needed re british gas

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4020 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

hi all, it's been a long while since i had access to these forums but glad to say I have now :)

anyways I am in desperate need of advice regarding British Gas. This could be a long post so get a cuppa and get comfy LOL.

In April of this year my direct debits were cancelled by BG the reason stated that my bank account had been closed. this is NOT the case, I am still using and operating said bank account. Letters and phone calls have ensued since then, with BG point blank refusing to reset up the DD's or take ANY payment on my account whatsoever. I have been in contact with one of their consumer complaints officers, who now refuses to return my calls or answer any letters I write to them. This morning I have had 2 letters, one stating they are in the process of gaining a warrant of entry to cut off my gas (*i live in a private rented listed building so they're not allowed to put a prepayment meter in) and also another letter demanding a payment of £315 for my electric. (The gas bill is £151) as a divorced single parent on income support i cannot afford to pay these amounts in full which I have explained to them but CAN afford a joint payment of £80 per month for both accounts, they are refusing to accept this and say i have to pay double that amount. I have spoken to the job center who say they will by all means put me on the fuel direct scheme but they would take out of my benefit whatever BG want me to pay which would basically leave me with a minus figure every month for income support and my income would reduce at such a rate that I would not be able to pay my other bills and be able to feed my 3 children. I do not get child maintenance at present but the CSA is looking into this for me as my ex works full time but hasn't declared it but that's another matter.

I have an address for the head of complaints at BG

Andy Eley

Head of Complaints

British Gas

P.O. Box 3116

Eastbourne

BN21 9JH

which I am in the process of writing a letter to and will be sending it recorded delivery in the morning.

I have just had another phone call from Trevor Middleton at the customer complaints dept and basically he is REFUSING to let me make any kind of payment on my accounts, I am sat here in tears because they are coming to cut off my gas and electric within the next 7 days and I just don't know what to do

I have offered and offered to make payments of £80 a month in total for both accounts but he is just point blank refusing these and I am at my wits end. My health is suffering (i have an underlying health condition and this is just making it 100 times worse and I just don't know what to do about this situation anymore.

I desperatly need some good advice as to how to proceed as like I say, all offers I have made have been refused

26/07/06 S.A.R Request sent to Halifax for single and joint account

charges so far

single account £695

joint account £1473

Request for charges back joint account sent 18/09/06

no action taken on single account yet!!

LBA on joint Acc Sent 9/10/06

partial acceptance for £376 included with LBA - Refused By Bank!!!

2nd Jan 2007 SETTLED IN FULL

Hi Ally,

Firstly do they actually have the warrant?

Did you receive a human rights letter giving you 14 days notice of their intention to apply at the magistrates court for a warrant of entry?

Why do you think that they are not permitted to fit a prepayment meter?

Are you sure that fuel direct will give BG whatever they request - I find this unlikely as in the past they would only take usage plus about £3.50 pre utility.

If they do not have the warrant then go to the court when they are applying and the magistrates are unlikely to issue it then.

Approach CAB for assistance

Approach a local legal advice centre for assistance.

Stop panicking!

Don't speak to them deal in writing.

GK

and you know the a/c number etc, from the back of the bill

pay it online via your bank.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, DCA;s would collapse overnight.

Hi Ally,

Firstly do they actually have the warrant?

Did you receive a human rights letter giving you 14 days notice of their intention to apply at the magistrates court for a warrant of entry?

Why do you think that they are not permitted to fit a prepayment meter?

Are you sure that fuel direct will give BG whatever they request - I find this unlikely as in the past they would only take usage plus about £3.50 pre utility.

If they do not have the warrant then go to the court when they are applying and the magistrates are unlikely to issue it then.

Approach CAB for assistance

Approach a local legal advice centre for assistance.

Stop panicking!

Don't speak to them deal in writing.

GK

hya

they don't have a warrant as yet i got notice this morning they wanted to apply for one but when i spoke to the guy trevor this morning he told me they would be here in 7 days *(which thinking rationally i think he was trying to scare me) i have since spoken to a senior manager who has agreed to set up a payment of £80 a month while i wait for an outcome from the energy trust as I applied for a grant from them today too (having found the information online) and my account has been put on hold until i get a decision, he is also looking for other avenues that I would get help from.

As for a prepayment meter, the house i live in is about 500 years old and the heritage trust has stated that they won't allow a prepayment meter fitted so that's a no go area (cos i'd be quite happy for one to be fitted tbh)

so i have a little respite which in the meantime i will be going to the CAB etc to see what other help I can get.

charges so far

single account £695

joint account £1473

Hi Ally,

I would also ask about fuel direct from Job Centre and point out that they are not debt collectors and should have your best interests at heart.

GK

Hi Ally,

I would also ask about fuel direct from Job Centre and point out that they are not debt collectors and should have your best interests at heart.

GK

hya i did ask about it and they basically told me that if BG want £80 from each account then that's what they would pay them and also a % to pay off what's owing at present so it would basically leave me with no income support the way the woman explained it to me.

charges so far

single account £695

joint account £1473

Ally,

I have to visit JC tomorrow and will try to check what the woman said.

I am still sure that she is wrong.

GK