United Utilities meter not working!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5379 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

Apparantly my water meter has not worked for two years.

They have decided to estimate my usage for the two years and have now sent a revised bill.

It started when I was in credit by several hundred pounds and asked for a payment of my credited funds.

They have now changed my water meter and sent me a new bill where I now owe them several hundred pounds.

Can they do this?

Whose reponsibility is it to check the water meter regularly that it works and to read the meter.

Also can they estimate the usage for the whole two years.

Appreciate as always the sound advice received!

Johno

Hi All

Apparantly my water meter has not worked for two years. so how did they bill you

They have decided to estimate my usage for the two years and have now sent a revised bill. based on what

It started when I was in credit by several hundred pounds and asked for a payment of my credited funds.

They have now changed my water meter and sent me a new bill where I now owe them several hundred pounds. I would query this if you have been paying a set amount and was in credit that it suddenly turns into a debit

Can they do this? I would say No but then I dont really know

Whose reponsibility is it to check the water meter regularly that it works and to read the meter. Them when they come and do a meter reading, are you a qualified Plumber!! meter reader

Also can they estimate the usage for the whole two years. No I dont think they can

Appreciate as always the sound advice received!

Johno

I would get OFWAT involved

Ofwat::Ofwat home page

Thread moved to appropriate Forum.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

They have been sending me an estimate bill for two years.

When they have put in a new water meter they have waited a month and then estimated my bill from the last two years, from my usage from this month.

Can they do this!

So any suggestions what i should do!

Cheers all

Are you saying a should get a reduction in the amount they are asking or can the amount be reduced to zero due to their responsibility of not reading my meter.

Is it true that they can also only expect an estimation for twelve months and not two years

• 2 weeks later...

I have just received a bill of £1000, I am so gutted.

If anyone has any advice or ideas on how a can get this bill reduced due to the water meter not working, I would really appreciate it.

Really annoyed that they can just send you a large bill and you are expected to pay as they seem to think they can estimate the bill for the length of time the water meter was not working.

Does anyone have any legal points that you only have to pay for a maximum of twelve months if your meter is not working or what info I may be able to use to get the bill reduced.

Would like to add that i have no problem in paying for water I have used, but feel it is there mistake and responsibility to read the meter regularly. I have always paid, what they have asked for.

Many Thanks

Just explain the situation as it is.

Incidently is your meter outside? Because if it is I cannot see how you can be held responsible for it anyway. It's their property so it should be down to them that it functions correctly and is accurate.

See also http://www.ccwater.org.uk/server.php?show=nav.118