Sign in to follow this  
Bovvered

BBC News online, sat 18th March

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4867 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Don't know if anyone's seen this, where Ian Mullen talks about 'Human Intervention':

But Ian Mullen, Chief Executive of the British Banker's Association (BBA), told the programme that banks were not charging customers more than the actual cost.

"No we're not. The banking systems are geared to an automatic process, so when a cheque or a charge sends an account overdrawn or over an agreed limit this involves manual intervention: to extract the item from the day's work, to research the customer's recent credit profile, and then a managerial decision as to whether to return the unpaid item."

He confirmed that "in the majority of cases" a human intervened in imposing a default charge.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/moneybox/4727642.stm

25/06/08 - NatWest - Prelim letter

09/03/06 - Halifax - Settled 27/4

22/03/06 - Capital One - Settled 24/6

17/04/06 - Nationwide - Settled 8/9

Hit the DONATE BUTTON and give 5% back to support this site!

Interesting. I got a reply from nationwide that my DDs had bounced as a result of an automated system.

ONE of them is lying!

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that this bloke (like most top management) doesn't have a bloody clue about what happens on a day-to-day basis and isn't even bothered about whether or not what he is telling the public makes sense. There are millions of returned/unpaid transactions every year. If what he said was true, there would be armies of people employed JUST to do this!! Incredible!!

This guy doesn't half talk some rubbish - "a mangerial decision as to whether to return the unpaid item"? Really? Wow - how many managers must each bank have? :roll:

Strange that when I've spoken to the A&L before now trying to prevent a DD being returned, I've always got an answer along the lines of "No, we can't stop the process, it's an automatic system run before banking hours". If only I could get them to confirm this in writing..... :roll:

Cheers

Michael

Please note that the right to reproduce any part of any post I make on this forum is restricted under copyright law.

Please see the following copyright statement

whats even worse is the bbc interviews are using such bad research that they are unable to ask an informed follow-up question about banks using automated systems. they just let this guy say whatever crap he wants to rather than nailing him... and it would be so easy to do so given the rubbish he spouts sometimes.

I'm sure that that he intended "Divine intervention"

I'm sure that that he intended "Divine intervention"

ROTFLMFAO!

I do like this quote though:

But Ian Mullen claimed that many of these successes were students who the banks recognised had problems: "We're dealing with students, and banks are very keen to see that students are serviced optimally. We know students today are in financial difficulty."

It'll be interesting to see a spread of occupations for folks that've been successful in claiming - I haven't been in full/part time education for 18 years now :D

Cheers

Michael

Please note that the right to reproduce any part of any post I make on this forum is restricted under copyright law.

Please see the following copyright statement

I worked in a bank in the mid 90s, and even then there was a high degree of automation in these decisions. Standing Orders and Direct Debits involved no manual intervention in the majority of returns.

The only ones that were passed to a manager were business customers that were considerably over their overdraft. All others were bounced automatically.

I dealt with the day's clearing, and on the few occasions I had to extract an unpaid cheque, it took seconds. Bearing in mind on the wage ladder at the bank I was almost at the bottom, I'd say it cost the bank about 50p at the most.

Now most cheques are scanned at the point they pass through clearing, the bouncing process is almost completely automated. In the rare cases it's referred to a lending officer the bank's computers' justification for the decision is normally given. It takes seconds to decide whether to override the decision or not.

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

25/06/08 - NatWest - Prelim letter

09/03/06 - Halifax - Settled 27/4

22/03/06 - Capital One - Settled 24/6

17/04/06 - Nationwide - Settled 8/9

Hit the DONATE BUTTON and give 5% back to support this site!

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4867 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you