You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

blackcat111

Data protection issues with manager

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4018 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Data protection issues with manager

I work for a well known Government agency that has a reputation for not doings things first time for it’s customers, you probably guessed but I would rather not say.

Anyhow, I have been in customer services for a long period and am fully aware of data protection of customer personal details. Now, my boss who has listened into some of my calls has said that I broke data protection. The scenario is as follows,

A customer phoned me and wanted to know if we had updated his record to his forwarding address. I asked him for the forwarding address and he gave me the first line of the address. I replied ‘yes’ ( meaning your instruction has been completed or did I say 'yes' I hear you )

Admittedly I may not ask as many security questions as I could nor can I be completely sure that the caller is bogus or genuine but I had reasonable belief that the caller was genuine , for example, his mobile number flashed up on my computer screen and matched our record for him and his last contact, reference number, name, etc matched my records but regardless, the question remains, did I break DP by saying ‘yes’ to the customers question.

In my line of work, I deal with people who are constantly complaining that our records are not updated. Let me give you another scenario.

A customer calls to say that a letter has not been received at his address and suspects that the letter has gone to his previous address. He confirms the addresses which match the record. How can you not answer ‘yes’ or ‘no’ so that an enquiry can be resolved or remedied

Let me say that I have called numerous organisations recently and they have asked me for my address as a security question and having answered correctly they have helped me. Surely they have confirmed the address to me by agreeing to continue the phone call. If my address or other details did not match the record, they would question it or refuse to talk to me.

I put it to my manager that if a bogus caller already has in his possession an address, they will, within their means use this information to contact that person with information already held. My manager replied ‘ the bogus caller may have several addresses and wanted to confirm which one. I replied ‘ Because i said 'yes' to the first line of an address does not necessarily mean I confirmed an address. It could mean that i said ' yes ' to confirm that I heard the customer and is a que for the customer to continue giveing out information.

Please how do you feel about this situation. Are they right or is it that the would ‘reasonable’ has left my place of employment. What if anything will come of this manager complaint only time can tell, but now I have lost confidence in my ability to do the job, a job which requires demanding stats and quick responses’ to the customers.

thanks

black cat

Guest Old_andrew2018

Bump

Nope, not a breach of DPA. The customer gave you information and you confirmed it. You did not offer any information to the customer. Besides which, few companies would be able to ascertain a callers identity if they were unable to confirm the address which is standard in most security checks along with DOB. For more info your best bet is to contact the ICO who are always very helpful.

Having said that, your place of work may have additional rules on DPA above and beyond what is required by the DPA legislation. It may well be a good idea to be proactive and say you feel you haven't been briefed fully on how you're expected to do DPA checks. Make them aware that as you personally can be held legally accountable for breach of DPA, and since it's a very changeable piece of legislation, you feel that regular briefings should be given to staff.