You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

sharkssmile

Help with electricity issues

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4010 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I am currently with scottish gas after switching from scottish power in sept 08.

The current bill I have just received is for over £400 for the quarter and when I call them they reckoned that was okay for a one bedroom all electric house with a single person living in it who is not home a lot!:eek:

As you can imagine i am now watching my meter like a hawk and took a reading last fri and again this fri with a clockage of 79 units used averaging 11 a day...I know its now the height of summer and the other bill reflects winter so i am also considerin this. The difference however to what they say would triple my bill to over 30 units however and i cant see how this could be possible!? the landlord tells me the all electric heating would be a factor but i try to keep that to a miniumum and it is never on when i am not here...timer etc...and i do not keep it on a lot

I asked for someone from british gas to come out and check my meter and they said it would be a £70 call out charge....being a full time student the bill is hard enough to pay never mind that on top.

My question is...does this amount of usage seem normal for my living situation and can anyone comment who is roughly in the same boat? i have taken a reading from my parents house and will again nexxt week and this reflects my dad's constants usage of 2 tv's throughout the day...washing machines etc...just to see how much they use in comparison.

Also is it possible someone else can be using my electricity?....i turned off my power at the internal fuse box for a few hours and it never moved:(...disappointing when if that was the case i would feel relief that i am actually not using that on my own!

I am now monitoring usage and recording and will be paying it on a weekly basis based on the reading i take....as the arrival of mail man is starting to scare me

I also noticed today after scrutinising my bills that the bills from scottish power and scottish gas have the same meter number on it...but the top part of the electricity supply number is different??...would this change if i switch suppliers as the bill from scottish gas states below it that it is still a scottish power pricing area...i thought this number would be unique to me then and would not change?

any help would be great.....thanks in advance.

the top part of your supply number (mpan) should not change, sounds like there's something wrong with the metering, not something i'm an expert in...

Depending on the set up of your heaters and metering system, they could be billing 2 rates when they should be billing 3, which is causing the high bill

Do you have an economy 7 meter? ie are there 2 readings on your meter? You could try doing whats called a load test incase the readings have been transposed ie the night billed on the day, day billed on the night reads. Easy way to do this is during the day, take a reading, then a couple of hours later, take another read and check to see which read has moved on.

no i seem to just have a standard meter..just one reading on it and this is what they bill me for. i have contacted my landlords electrician and they have checked my wiring etc and everything seems fine so no help from them!

so on the £400 bill what were the readings?

for a 1 bedroom flat 11kW for 24hrs is p'haps a bit high

that roughly equates to 500Wph, or put it another way, you are leaving 5 100W light bulbs on 24/7.

you need to look at what you have got plugged in etc.

how is your hot water generated? not by imersion is it?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, DCA;s would collapse overnight.