• Tweets

• All Talk Talk Direct debits/standing orders, etc were all cancelled correctly and set up for BT. Talk Talk took the money from my debit card details which they had retained. I have now blocked this too. I just want my money back!
    • On the basis it was a direct debit from the bank. Why did you not use the DD guarantee and insist the bank refunds the money.     
    • Basically i can claim for my excess and loss of earnings as i was self employed and cost for hire of van, solicitors have asked for uninsured losses, if lossess are not included in claim i cant recover them at later date the letter states.  
    • Hi All,   On 26th May this year I called my broadband/phone service provider, Talk Talk, to inform them that I would be leaving them and moving to BT at the end of the month.  My contract with Talk Talk had officially ended back in October 2019 and I was just paying them on a monthly basis for continued service. I was advised that I did not need to do anything, as arrangements would be made on my behalf to keep my existing number etc between Talk Talk and BT.  I began my contract with BT on 1st June.  I cancelled my bank payment arrangements to Talk Talk and set up new ones for BT. I then received a bill from Talk Talk for June's monthly charges, which I ignored as I was no longer a customer, I owed them nothing, and they were not providing me with any kind of service. I then received a second bill from Talk Talk for July's monthly charges. I called Talk Talk to explain their error but they insisted that I was still a customer using their services.  This was despite me proving that I have been a BT customer for the past two months and paying BT for services that Talk Talk are claiming to be theirs. Talk Talk then took £60.39 from my bank account on 2nd August, despite having no authority or consent from me to do so.  I complained to my bank and they explained that utility companies hold on to customers payment details (despite GDPR) and this practice is common.  I have now instructed my bank to refuse any further payments to Talk Talk, by any means!. I phoned Talk Talk to complain and insist they repaid my money immediately as it had been obtained fraudulently and they are not providing any service to me anymore.  The adviser couldn't help much, but promised me a call from a manager later in the week.  The call never materialised. I called Talk Talk myself today, and after nearly four hours of phone calls, being put on hold, transferred, being made promises and making more calls, I have got nowhere. One manager did offer a token £30 payment which I obviously turned down.  I eventually hung up after being put on hold for over 20 minutes during a call lasting over an hour. These people are ignorant at best and impossible to deal with. Please could someone advise me on how to get my £60.39 back from these people?  
    • They can ask you to help them.   The reason for doing this is that the accident was between two private citizens with the Insurance companies covering the risk.  The Insurance company need your assistance to claim directly against the other driver, as the other drivers Insurance are not paying the claim.  Each Insurers pays 50% of the claim costs.     If you don't help the Insurers, I am not sure what they can do about this, as you are no longer a customer of theirs.   Perhaps ask whether they will cover your costs. e.g. time. 
  • Our picks

• Curry’s cancelled my order but took the money anyway. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423055-curry%E2%80%99s-cancelled-my-order-but-took-the-money-anyway/
      • 11 replies
    • Father passed away - Ardent Credit Services (Vodafone) now claiming he owes money. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423040-father-passed-away-ardent-credit-services-vodafone-now-claiming-he-owes-money/
      • 9 replies
    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 6 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 16 replies
Simon7685

Shop refusing refund - can I insist?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4012 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi Everyone

Now this may seem silly and trivial but for me it is the principal involved.

My daughter is 8 years old. She went to our local corner shop today (only a few doors away) to buy something with her pocket money. The thing she usually buys some collectable things called Go Go's but they didn't have any. Instead she saw some little badges that she thought would fit on her Crocs. The woman at the counter said they were for lace up shoes but might fit on croc's, so she bought them for £1. She only gets £3 a week, so to her £1 represents a large amount of her pocket money.

When she got home she found they did not fit on her crocs so I told her to take them back and explain that she made a mistake and return them for a refund. The woman in the shop has point blank refused to issue a refund. I rang the shop and explained, she said she told my daughter they weren't for crocs, so that is that she can't have a refund! I tried to appeal to her better nature, in explaining my daughter was only 8 years old but she obviously doesn't have a better nature!

They came on a piece of card that was covered with sellophane that has obviously been removed but the badges or card are not damaged in any way. As I said it is the principle of the matter really, she is only 8 and made a mistake. The woman in the shop said they couldn't resell the badges, which is rubbish as only the sellophane is missing and I think they are being unreasonable.

She has told me to ring the manager on Monday but I am going to go in. I mentioned the Sale of Goods act but aren't sure if that covers this or not?

Any advice on what is correct would be appreciated. I know its only £1 but it has got my blood boiling that they can be so awkward with an 8 year old! Especially as she generally spends her pocket money there every week!

Thanks

Simon

:)IF YOU ARE BORED WITH LITTLE TO DO:)

My Story - Simon -V- The (SH)Abbey - :!:WON / 19 November 2007:!:

SKY TV and the penalty charge - how far will it go?

Me V Its4me and Close Premium Finance:!:WON / 28 November 2007:!:

IF I CAN HELP, I WILL, IF I DO, THEN PLEASE CLICK ON THE SCALES ON THE LEFT

Sorry, but from a law point of view, it's not looking good.

It would boil down to "she said, I said", you daughter says the woman told her they might fit on the shoes, the woman says she told her they wouldn't. Maybe your daughter misunderstood, maybe the woman is lying. See what I mean?

So what it then boils down to is where the goods sold fit for purpose? If the woman told your daughter they'd fit knowing they wouldn't then no they wouldn't, if she did tell her they might not and your daughter bought them anyway, then your daughter made the mistake and there is no redress.

So all in all, I'd say really not worth getting into it for the sake of £1.

Thanks Bookworm.

I know it is trivial and only £1 but it was the principle of it that has got me annoyed. She is only 8 years old, so if the woman in the shop said they might fit, then obviously she is going to believe her, so to then refuse her a refund I think is a bit rich. Incidentally my daughter did have a friend with her who also said that the woman said they might fit. I really don't think they would make that up but as you say, it is their word against hers.

Thanks again for the advice

:)IF YOU ARE BORED WITH LITTLE TO DO:)

My Story - Simon -V- The (SH)Abbey - :!:WON / 19 November 2007:!:

SKY TV and the penalty charge - how far will it go?

Me V Its4me and Close Premium Finance:!:WON / 28 November 2007:!:

IF I CAN HELP, I WILL, IF I DO, THEN PLEASE CLICK ON THE SCALES ON THE LEFT

Thanks Bookworm.

I know it is trivial and only £1 but it was the principle of it that has got me annoyed. She is only 8 years old, so if the woman in the shop said they might fit, then obviously she is going to believe her, so to then refuse her a refund I think is a bit rich. Incidentally my daughter did have a friend with her who also said that the woman said they might fit. I really don't think they would make that up but as you say, it is their word against hers.

Thanks again for the advice

Sign her up as a junior CAGger :)...By the time shes 18 she'll be consumer expert !

:lol:

i realy cant believe this woman is bing such a b&*^h for a quid and it involves an eight year old child

shame on her

Oh, I quite agree, but Simon was asking where he stood in respect of his rights, so that's what I advised on. But yes, for the sake of £1, what a complete and utter cow. Still you get them everywhere... :mad:

Putting aside the amount of money involved and the age of the person whom bought the item, which you all seem to be putting the blame upon, remember the assistant in the shop, stated to you upon phoning to contact the manager on monday when there are in the shop, this to me isnt the shop assistants policy, she is just letting you know to speak to the shop owner, so i can't understand why you have all took the opion that the shop lady is doing wrong, when she is most likly going by the training she has had on the subject of refunds, no dought when you speak to the manager on monday, there will indeed issue the £1 refund. shop assistants have rules and guidelines to follow, its the owners that make the rules in corner shops not the person on say £5.50 ph so picking on them isnt going to get the refund as you would like is it.

!2 years Tesco distribution supervisor

7 years Sainsburys Transport Manager

4 Years housing officer ( Lettings )

Partner... 23 Years social services depts

All advice is given through own opition, also by seeking/searching info on behalf of poster, and own personnel dealings.

..stuff..

The CORRECT answer from the shop assistant should have been

"I do appologise but i'm not alowed to issue refunds of any size, why don't you come back on 'x' at x o'clock when my manager will be here. Maybe he/she can help you?"

EDited (misread a bit) .....

which is exactly what she's done. (appologies to shop assistant if they read the initial reply)

Am I missing something here, an 8 year old is NOT ALLOWED to enter into a contract (except for necessities ie food/water).

Good displayed in a shop are 'an invitation to treat' until such time as the offer to purchase has been accepted, then it becomes a contract between the buyer and seller.

So strictly speaking the shop should not have sold the badges to your daughter and as such are legally obliged to render the contract 'void ab intio' which would mean that they have to give a refund.

Having said that, it's Catch 22, if you argue this then the shop may refuse to sell your daughter anything in the future until she is of legal age, which may well cause more hassle than it's worth.

Mossy

Bookworm, I've read a few of the Posts you've advised on, how did you get so knowledgeable?

Bookworm, I've read a few of the Posts you've advised on, how did you get so knowledgeable?

Its all those Shredded Wheats she eats :)