You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

summer30

Direct debit problem - not the bank

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4026 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I emailed a society of which I am a member asking if I could pay my subscription renewal in installments,. they emailed me back with the options and I chose to pay over 3 months, to which they said add a note into the DD form ,which I clearly remember doing.

I did not receive a letter to confirm receipt, however the debit tried to go out for the full amount not the installment and I got a charge by the bank.

They deny knowledge of my request and said nothing was attached to the letter.

They refuse to refund me the bank charge , Ive sent them a copy of the email with my request on it and so far waiting to hear.

Quite honestly I would like to tell them to shove their membership, but T&C state you must pay the full amount if you havent told them by the start of the membership that you wish to cancel, I am 3 days into the new membership which costs under £100 a year.

I submitted an application to join online, no signature but I assume submitting is agreement to terms?

Anything I can do or am I stuffed? the charge is one thing but thier attitude another.

I would contact the bank and tell them that this was an error on the societies part and ask them to refund the charge as a goodwill gesture.

Do you have any evidence that they told you to fill the form out in that way?

Recheck the terms - usually if you cancel within the first 7-14 days you get your money back.

Me v Barlcays Bank - Claim Stayed

Me v Jaguar Cars 1 - Won £1650

Me v Jaguar Cars 2 - Winning

Me v London Borough of Newham - Won, Warrant of Execution live

yes I have an email telling me how to fill in the form from the society and a copy of mine going back to them to say how I wanted to pay. I have never had a charge before so hoping the bank will refund it maybe.

checked terms nothing about 7-14 days ,only that if you dont let them know before the date your stuffed.

Edited by summer30

yes I have an email telling me how to fill in the form from the society and a copy of mine going back to them to say how I wanted to pay. I have never had a charge before so hoping the bank will refund it maybe.

checked terms nothing about 7-14 days ,only that if you dont let them know before the date your stuffed.

To clarify if you incurred bank charges and it was the first occasion then they may refund the charge as a one off Gesture of Goodwill. Personally I would cancel the DD and ask the society for their account details and payment reference so you can pay by standing order cos you control that. It is outside the Direct Debit Guaranetee scheme since the payment was bounced rather than paid.

Hope that helps.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

The direct debit guarantee is that if the bank or the recipient makes a mistake you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid. In this case, because the direct debit itself bounced, the amount paid was the charge.

I think the bank are obliged to refund

The direct debit guarantee is that if the bank or the recipient makes a mistake you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid. In this case, because the direct debit itself bounced, the amount paid was the charge.

I think the bank are obliged to refund

They're not, I am 100% certain of that. I did some research into that topic maybe a year ago I think. Bank charges are not part of the DD Guarantee scheme. The important aspect is if it is paid.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

I would send a letter to the society saying you will pursue legal action unless they reimburse you for their mistake. I would also try arguing that as they have made this mistake they have therefore breached any contract with you

thanks Im going to try both, Ive contacted someone higher up with the society and waiting for a reply, also will call my bank Monday to see if I can get it reimbursed.

I think I agree about standing order, I dont trust them with direct debit

Is submiting a form online that doesnt mention digital signature still saying that you are signing to agree to terms? also how would it be seen in court if they are pursuing a full cost of something I havent really used or gained benift from? if that makes sense

ok update another email ,seems this person cannot talk on the phone, refusing to say its her fault and demanding payment by the end of the week