Doing 60 in a temp 50 on M4

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5397 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Danny; 'You say limits are there for a reason, except you don't take into account that those limits need not apply at certain times of day and are only kept in force because THE POLICE WANT TO MAKE MONEY!'

Speed limits are there for a reason, there is nothing else to take into account.

Michael B; 'Central Lane Residents Association members are my personal bete noire,especially at weekends when effectively they turn a 3 lane motorway into a dual carriageway'

Agreed.

'You seem to be in a bit of a quandary, is the advice to slow down or speed up?

I'm making both points really. If you dont speed, then they wouldn't make any money, but, having said that, they would only think of another money making scheme to fleece the motorist, so carry on speeding!!!

Wheelergeezer;'What exactly is safe about people slamming on their brakes to go from 90 to 60 then straight back to 90 afterwards?

As I said in my post earlier mate; 'its all down to people being crap drivers' and I stand by that. There is still, I think, a debate on increasing the speed limit on motorways to 80mph. I think this would be a mistake. Yes, roads and safety features on them (particularly high speed highways) have improved, vehicle technology and safety features have improved, but, here's the crucial point, driving standards have not. If anything, they have got worse, in my opinion. To prove my point, go and stand at a roundabout on a busy road for half an hour and count how many people use their indicators entering, going round and exiting the roundabout. Very few. Crap driving! You, Wheelergeezer, are in a small group of people who's driving skills and opinions I respect, but, unfortunately, the minute people pass their tests, all that you have learnt them seems to go out of the window.

Dx; 'its a speed LIMIT not a compulsory target.

drivers dont have to travel at that speed.

I absolutely agree mate, but why can't the tossers move back into the inside lane? There is also a minimum speed limit on a motorway, I think its 40mph.

'good mail though.'

Thanks.

Dx; 'its a speed LIMIT not a compulsory target.

drivers dont have to travel at that speed.

I absolutely agree mate, but why can't the tossers move back into the inside lane? There is also a minimum speed limit on a motorway, I think its 40mph.

'good mail though.'

Thanks.

There is no official minimum speed limit on a motorway, however, the police may stop such a car travelling ridiculously slow and consider an offence of careless driving purhaps.

Crem; I am sure there is a minimum speed limit on a motorway, but I would stand corrected if I saw anything in writing stating there wasn't.

And I wouldn't consider it careless driving, I would consider it dangerous driving, but thats only my opinion.

Crem; I am sure there is a minimum speed limit on a motorway, but I would stand corrected if I saw anything in writing stating there wasn't.

And I wouldn't consider it careless driving, I would consider it dangerous driving, but thats only my opinion.

No there isnt!

And i agree with Danny about unnecessary speed limits at night on motorways, the restrictions could easily be changed at 10pm

And i agree with Danny about unnecessary speed limits at night on motorways, the restrictions could easily be changed at 10pm

Whilst I accept patdavies' earlier comment about the difficulty of having a different speed limit at different times of the day, the fact remains that it is very easy to simply not ENFORCE the limit when road and traffic conditions suggest they are too stringent to be justified under the safety issue banner.

IMO Dangerous driving is much more difficult to establish with proof than careless driving. Unless an actual crash takes place which can be attributed to this low speed I would suggest the police would not find much mileage in being able to bring this case. Careless driving can require very littel evidence and may even just need the opinion of the officer to be accepted by the court.

Crem; 'IMO Dangerous driving is much more difficult to establish with proof than careless driving. Unless an actual crash takes place which can be attributed to this low speed I would suggest the police would not find much mileage in being able to bring this case. Careless driving can require very littel evidence and may even just need the opinion of the officer to be accepted by the court.'

Fair point crem, I accept that.

Callumsgran; 'And i agree with Danny about unnecessary speed limits at night on motorways, the restrictions could easily be changed at 10pm'

There can be many reasons why a motorway has a restricted speed limit at night.

Approaching an accident or incident.

Setting out road works. (lots of work on motorways takes place on a night for obvious reasons.)

Clearing the road after roadworks.

Clearing debris after an incident like a HGV puncture etc.

Police car chase.

I could go on......

I drive 50 to 60 thousand miles a year, at night and during the day, and I have seen allsorts of incidents. Experience tells me that there is a reason to be cautious if there is reduced limit up ahead. So, for you to say that the restrictions could easily be changed after 10pm just goes to show that you have not got a clue what you are talking about.

I dont mean to be confrontational, but crap driving is a particular hate of mine, and there are plenty of crap drivers on the road today.

i see to recall seeing a traffic cops prog whereby they pulled up a circus multi trailer for suspecting it was over length, 72ft if mem serves me.

the world and his oyster came out, some one actually measured it, it was not worth arguing about 73ft because of anoter tow hitch protuding from the back i think.

now, i also remember the bod saying 'he was traveling more than 30MPH when you where following him, wasnt he'.

there are in some places these blue circle signs too.

sure i've seen them on service station exits somewhere???

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

There can be many reasons why a motorway has a restricted speed limit at night.

Approaching an accident or incident.

Setting out road works. (lots of work on motorways takes place on a night for obvious reasons.)

Clearing the road after roadworks.

Clearing debris after an incident like a HGV puncture etc.

Police car chase.

I could go on......

I drive 50 to 60 thousand miles a year, at night and during the day, and I have seen allsorts of incidents. Experience tells me that there is a reason to be cautious if there is reduced limit up ahead. So, for you to say that the restrictions could easily be changed after 10pm just goes to show that you have not got a clue what you are talking about.

I dont mean to be confrontational, but crap driving is a particular hate of mine, and there are plenty of crap drivers on the road today.

Mr.I'm the perfect text book driver. When I grow up I want to be like you :rolleyes:

I presume that wasn't said with any seriousness Conniff?

I was just wondering if it would get any reaction and thought I would add another silly comment to the ones that are already here, ones like "I never speed", and "there are minimum speed limits on motorways".

The first ones are liars and the second ones should try looking at road regulations now and again.

Danny; 'Mr.I'm the perfect text book driver.'

I'm far from being the perfect text book driver, just careful and observant.

'When I grow up I want to be like you'

(edit) And if you were more like me, you wouldn't be on here telling us all youv'e just been caught speeding, would you?

Conniff; Ok, there might not be a minimum speed limit, but you wouldn't go on a motorway and, under normal driving conditions, travel at 30 or 35mph would you? It would be unsafe to do so.

Edited by freakyleaky
Personal attacks/insults will be removed. Read the site rules please.

Mr.I'm the perfect text book driver. When I grow up I want to be like you :rolleyes:

That would be good , at least you would obey speed limits , even if YOU think they are superfluous,

Being sarcastic does nothing to excuse or mitigate speeding

Some posts on this thread seem, in some way to be offering some sort of excuse or reason why people seem to suddenly stumble upon a lower speed limit for roadworks etc. And to say that, 'it was 2am' or 'there was nobody else on the road' or 'nobody was working at the roadworks at the time', is just pure arrogance. Limits are there for a reason and nobody is exempt.

On most roads and particularly motorways, plenty of advance warning is given that roadworks are taking place in 1 mile, 1/2 mile, and so on. So you know that there is a good chance of a lower speed limit when you get to them.

Then, on the other hand, there are those drivers who respect the limit, but do 45 or 46 in a 50 limit, but sit in the middle lane. And for some unknown reason will not move into the inside lane. Tossers.

I'm sick of hearing people going on about cameras being money making machines. There is a simple answer to this problem....dont speed.....dont speed. If people didnt speed, they wouldn't make any money, so they would have to think of some other charge to bang on motorists ever increasing driving costs. So I say carry on speeding and filling the police/government coffers.

Driving demands 100% concentration, 100% of the time.

At the end of the day, its all down to people being crap drivers, simple as that.

I wouldn't say speeding equates to arrogance. Limits around roadworks are important - workers have been killed in roadworks. But that's one situation - not all limits are sensibly placed. The number of roads that were once 60 and have now been reduced to 40 for no apparent reason is infuriating.

There's a roundabout along the A56 past Accrington - it's 70, but have put in 50mph signs 200 yards before the roundabout, then 40mph signs 50 yards before, and then 50mph at the exit. Then half a mile up they have 70 signs again.

Why on earth do they think people need telling to slow down to 50, 40 and then go 50 down a long straight road when for 50 years a 'Reduce Speed Now' sign was perfectly adequate?

I'm no fan of speeding in inappropriate places such as built up areas, but have no time for people who say speeding is always wrong, or evil, or arrogant. Limits are not there for a reason - they are just constantly being reduced and are now inappropriately low in many places.

As for cameras, I find it's much easier just to slow down and then speed up again, rather than trundle around 24/7. They are bright yellow boxes after all.

The last sentance is typical of a lot of drivers these days. Yellow boxes are easy to see and that is the problem. Why make them easy to see? Why not hide them???

Of course your theory will not help you with an unmarked traffic car following you from 1/2 mile back!:D

Danny; 'Mr.I'm the perfect text book driver.'

I'm far from being the perfect text book driver, just careful and observant.

'When I grow up I want to be like you'

Thats your problem though isn't it Danny? You obviously haven't grown up have you? And if you were more like me, you wouldn't be on here telling us all youv'e just been caught speeding, would you?

Conniff; Ok, there might not be a minimum speed limit, but you wouldn't go on a motorway and, under normal driving conditions, travel at 30 or 35mph would you? It would be unsafe to do so.

Don't patronise me (EDIT). You're making out I'm some incredibly irresponsible driver just because I did 60 in a 50 at 2am. Because you do 60K a year (EDIT), you think it's your place to put others down.

Edited by freakyleaky
Insults will be removed. Read the site rules.

Sorry, I apologise for the insults. I just cannot stand people like him that wag their moral finger at others as though they're gods gift to driving. I've obviously learned my lesson since I'm now going to get 3 points and will have to be more careful from now on, but this place seems to be riddled with members who like to make others feel like criminals.

I have seen the same debate countless times on here and it never gets resolved.

There are 2 schools of thought:-

1 all speed limits should be adhered too.

2 only some speed limits should be adhered too.

You will never convince one that the other is right.

Is it a criminal offense to break the speed limit?:confused:

Whatever. I started this thread saying that I admitted fault in the speeding but my whole point has been that if discretion were used which it never is, they could easily forego the points and just fine me. That would still be enough to make me think twice about speeding. But oh no, still people have to come on here with their dogma and say, in so many words, "YOU ARE AN IRRESPONSIBLE DRIVER, YOU DESERVE EVERYTHING YOU GET!" Get off your high horses.

And if it's not ok to insult, perhaps you should go back and delete jed's insult to other drivers he calls 'tossers' unless you support double standards :rolleyes:

I was asking a question that I don't know the answer too. You respond with "whatever". Thanks for that.

If there are posts you find offensive, abusive, inaccurate or you simply think are not needed on a thread then use the red triangle at the bottom of that post and report it to the site team. We can't read every single post.

No I do not support double standards.