Fraudent personal injury insurance claim - what to do?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5329 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was stationary at a red traffic light when my car stalled and rolled into the car infront - a distance of about 4 feet.

The cars touched but that was all. Essentially my registration plate touched her bumper but with no force and facilitating no movement of her car.

We exchanged details as is required by law but the girl driving the car agreed in front of a witness who was in my car at the time of the incident (which makes me wonder if their opinion will count with insurers) that there was no damage done to her vehicle and there was certainly no damage done to mine - although she wanted her mechanic boyfriend to check it out anyway.

It may help to know she admitted working for Esure insurance and knows all about insurance and accident claims.

She called later that evening to say her father had found (and i quote) "Barely visible to the naked eye white scratches on her black bumper". As by this time it was after midnight and being 7 months pregnant in this heat i was tired, I suggested we discuss it further in the morning.

By 10 am I had 4 missed calls. Two from her insurance company and two from mine.

I called my insurance and reported the incident explaining that her car hadnt even moved in the collision and that it was agreed there was no visible damage at the scene, only to be informed she was claiming for damage and personal injury.

There is absolutely NO WAY she could have been injured sitting in her Merc as a car went from stationary to rolling and touching (note: not bumping,hitting, crashing or jolting) her car. Tiny wee scratches to her bumper are one thing but personal injury is a blatant lie.

I am with Sheila's Wheels who last year paid out for damage to a car I did not do without checking with me first even although I had told them previously I was aware the person was going to claim historical damage - I even had photographic and witness evidence that there was no way I could have dented the car in the way they said (it was a car park issue). In the end S.W admitted they had been in the wrong and the issue with me was dropped but not before they had paid out to the other insurance company - they were worried about me taking them to court for not protecting my interests and were extremely helpful in this instance. As a result my no claims bonus was left intact as a goodwill measure on their behalf for their failings.

I have aired my concerns that they will again pay for damage and injury that could not have happened by this incident and requested they have both independently verified but im not convinced this will happen or make a difference.

I just wondered what I can do to ensure that this person does not get away with what is essentially insurance fraud and to ensure my insurance company treat this instance properly instead of doing it the way they did previously and just paying it regardless as they have a mutual agreement with some other company.

I appreciate that my insurance will have to pay for any damage to the car as there was no photographic evidence to proove there was none. I just dont want her mechanic boyfriend making up damage in a repair invoice and I sure as hell dont want her to be gaining financially for a personal injury claim that is fraudulent.

I appreciate that i will lose the 2 years no claims bonus but i feel there is a moral issue that i do not want to let go of...

OK first off don't worry too much.

This is fairly common and insurers are on the look out for fraudulent claims (both personal injury and property). If you have explained all of this to your insurers then they will look very carefully at the claim submitted from the third party before making any payment.

If you are worried about your NCB you can ask your insurers to let you know what (if anything) they paid out and decide if it's cheaper for you to pay that than lose your bonus.

Just sit back and let them deal with it, it's what you have paid them to do

Mossy

Now, If my memory is right, esure and sheila's wheels are owned by the same company - Halifax??

It might be worthwhile writing a letter to the claims department advising that a member of their staff is, in your opinion, trying to defraud the company. This will almost definately get referred to her manager, who will be cc'd into all the claims process.

they will scrutinise the claim, and throw the book at her if it is proved she is lying.

Another good thing is that Halifax / Esure will not be happy if the member of staff appoints solicitors to deal with the claim rather than deal direct, as that will increase the costs.

Hope this helps

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!

Yes, they are both owned by HBOSI (Halifax Bank of Scotland Insurance).

More to the point EVERYONE who works for an insurance company will have undergone an induction which will have trained them on what insurance fraud is. If she is found guilty of trying to commit a financial crime then it will count as Gross Misconduct and she will have her employment terminated.

Essentially there is a fine line between causation and fraudulent claims.

Causation or LVI is when you argue that the impact was so minor it couldnt have caused the injury/damage shes alleging. If I was defending this then I would raise causation. If the Esure then agree that causation is an issue then I agree with Wulfyn... chop for her!

Whiplash is claimed without damage, and I would imagine for 1 whiplash claimant, who was stationary, and therefore the veh is likely to have moved some impact- albeit only within the suspension.

I would not defend a low value PI claim based on causation alone.

Insurance Guy

If I can offer any help I will....

I have experience in Fault, Non-Fault & Disputed Liability Motor Claims for vehicle damage and hire, and some experience in Personal Injury Claims

If I've helped- please click my scales :D

ANY ASSISTANCE IS GIVEN ENTIRELY WITHOUT PREJUDICE- YOU SHOULD SEEK INDEPENDANT LEGAL ADVICE TO CONFIRM ANY ADVICE GIVEN

FEEL FREE TO PM ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD IF YOU WOULD LIKE ADVICE 8-)

• 2 months later...