Nationwide Direct Debit fees

Axxon

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4535 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey there.

Basically, I've run into a problem with Nationwide and I don't know what to do (I'm 17)

I have two linked accounts with Nationwide - A flexaccount (Under 18s) and a savings account.

I linked my flexaccount to my Paypal (It has no money in it), but I tried to transfer funds on three occasions to my paypal account, thinking I was taking them out of my savings (And wondering why they all failed)

I never saw a mention of a charge anywhere on their site, and since my flexaccount was empty, the funds were never transferred and the balance is still 0.00, but I just got a letter today saying they will charge me 30 pounds for each 'Unpaid direct debit fee', and the money will be taken out of my account in 28 days.

The issue is - The account isnt able to go into overdraft, Im 17, and no funds have actually been sent anywhere.

What can I do?

Edited by Axxon

Hey there.

Basically, I've run into a problem with Nationwide and I don't know what to do (I'm 17)

I have two linked accounts with Nationwide - A flexaccount (Under 18s) and a savings account.

I linked my flexaccount to my Paypal (It has no money in it), but I tried to transfer funds on three occasions to my paypal account, thinking I was taking them out of my savings (And wondering why they all failed)

I never saw a mention of a charge anywhere on their site, and since my flexaccount was empty, the funds were never transferred and the balance is still 0.00, but I just got a letter today saying they will charge me 30 pounds for each 'Unpaid direct debit fee', and the money will be taken out of my account in 28 days.

The issue is - The account isnt able to go into overdraft, Im 17, and no funds have actually been sent anywhere.

What can I do?

Ok, this is interesting, I have looked at Abbey Terms and conditions and they don't say you cannot have payments returned on the account, however if no money is paid into the account then you are technically using the Abbey "Advance Overdraft service" which as you can see from their special terms and conditions......you are not able to use. I think technically you can argue that point. Furthermore, with paypal(are you supposed to be 18 years old to have a paypal account)?

"Abbey Terms and conditions when required for accounts under 18

Special conditions B in terms and conditions

"B4 Overdrafts

B4.1 If you are between 16 and 17, you are not allowed to borrow money from us and neither our Advance Overdraft service nor our Instant Overdraft service are available on your current account."

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Thanks for the reply.

The paypal technically belongs to my parents, since they handle it, but it has my bank details on it.

Thanks for the reply.

The paypal technically belongs to my parents, since they handle it, but it has my bank details on it.

.....and I quoted Abbey in error.......apologies for being a plank. brb with the right ones.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

"2. You must be 18 or over to apply for overdrafts, other credit facilities, a cheque guarantee and debit card."

Not sure this helps cos technically the charges produce an informal request but it also give you an overdraft when you are under 18 years of age.

Resolved hopefully - My parents phoned up Nationwide and they said they would quash the fees.

I still think its scandalous charging 30 GBP for a failed direct debit, though...Thanks anyway.

I am pretty sure there was a thread where someone successfully argued as they were under 18 (or the account holder was) then they couldn't borrow, authorized or not, and thus the charge would not stand.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.