Halifax Current Account

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5254 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have a overdraft with the Halifax of around £1000.00. They have now cancelled this and charged me £28.00 for going over.

They did request that I renew the overdraft but I did'nt.

Is there a letter that I can write to them to stop them adding interest and charges and come to some sort of agreement to pay this back?

I really don't want to speak to anyone over the phone.

Any advise as ever is much appreciated.

TOSH1

Thre are lots of templates for this kind of thing. Go to our library.

Is this £28 the only charge or are there others.

You may well find that they owe you far more than this £28.

• Haha 1

Thank you for replying

I'm really grateful as I am not feeling too good.

i had an overdraft of £1k and kept getting charged £28.00 numerous times

I then opened another account with another bank just over six years ago but kept the £1k overdraft.

Halifax kept sending me letters by email to renew the overdraft but I didn't and I would just make the minimum payment to cover it.

They would contact me by Phone and I would ignore thier calls and wait for them to send me letters in the post, which did not arrive as they would email them.

Today I have learnt they have cancelled the overdraft and put on a charge of £28.00 so the balance will be -£1017.00.

I just want them to stop and make arrangments to pay this off.

Can i send something like the letter below and would it put a temporay stop to the charges and interest that they keep adding -

Please supply me with a complete list of transactions and charges relating to my banking history with your organization. Alternatively, a complete set of statements for that period will be acceptable.

Additionally, where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any member of your staff, or any other person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention, or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my banking business with you.

If you are unable to supply this data because there has been no such manual intervention, then please be so kind as to confirm this in your response.

I enclose the statutory maximum fee of £10. You have 40 days in which to comply. Furthermore, if I discover that you have levied disproportionate penalties against me, then I shall be reclaiming them, and also reclaiming the enclosed £10 DPA subject access request fee.

If there is specific information which you require in order to satisfy yourself as to my identity, please let me know by return.

However, please note that the above address is the one which you normally use to communicate my private business to me and which you have hitherto found to be acceptable.

All the Bank Charges templates are here

I'd stick your claim in for them to repay you their OD charge in now!;)

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Do I presume that nay money that you have will continue to be paid into this account ? If so it is very likely that it would be swallowed up by any excessive charges, so opening a parachute account might be a good idea, I think a letter to them explaining your situation and making them a token payment of as much as you can afford until you get your feet back on the ground might be a good idea....

Tosh, thanks for your pm.

I see you have been given some good advice and I cant add anything to that offered already.

I have however merged both your threads as they are the same subject.

Yes, requesting a subject access request would be good as that will let you see what charges have been applied and enable you to make a claim for them.:)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 4 months later...

Just An Update.

I Have Been Making Payments Since July And Have Kept Up To Date.

I Have Now Recieved A Letter From Them Thanking Me For Keeping To The Arrangement

But The Arrangement Has Now Ended And That I Need To Pay The Outstanding Amount Within 28 Days

And If I Don't They Will Send Me A Notice Of Default And May Refer The Account To The Recovery Team Who Will Try And Reach A Long Term Solution.

With The Recent Bank Charges Issue At The Supreme Court Can I Put In A Claim So That May Put A Stop To This And I Can Carry On Making The Agreed Payments.

Is that the arrangement you made with them in July?

Was there any mention that this would be a short term arrangement?

I would personally make a formal complaint immediately with the bank in question, just so they are aware that you are extremely annoyed by this sudden move of the goal posts.

Tell them that they need to remember who it was that bailed them out not so long back, and you thoroughly intend to use their internal complaints procedure to the end so that you can then escalate the complaint to the Financial Ombudsman to bring them back down a peg or two.

I like how they threaten you with a notice of default and then passing you to their recovery team:-x

Extremely childish actions on what is supposed to be a professional organisation!

Continue to pay them what you have agreed, then if they do as they have threatened you will be in a stronger position to fight them.

As for the recent bank charges case, you can still claim back your bank charges, there will be a new letter template drafted up shortly for CAGgers to use, in the mean time have a read of the link in my signature , the yellow one.

Boo;)

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Just An Update.

I Have Been Making Payments Since July And Have Kept Up To Date. I Have Now Recieved A Letter From Them Thanking Me For Keeping To The Arrangement But The Arrangement Has Now Ended And That I Need To Pay The Outstanding Amount Within 28 Days And If I Don't They Will Send Me A Notice Of Default And May Refer The Account To The Recovery Team Who Will Try And Reach A Long Term Solution.

With The Recent Bank Charges Issue At The Supreme Court Can I Put In A Claim So That May Put A Stop To This And I Can Carry On Making The Agreed Payments.

Try asking them to allow the arrangement to continue with the freezing of interest for say a further 6 months to a year.

A lot of companies will issue a default notice along with a payment plan.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Try asking them to allow the arrangement to continue with the freezing of interest for say a further 6 months to a year.

A lot of companies will issue a default notice along with a payment plan.

They have continued to charge me interest since July. i am still paying the interest as well as the capitol off each month.

Hmmm, so they werent actually doing you any favours in the first place were they ?

Tosh, IMHO, I would set up a parachute account elsewhere. Have any monies paid directly into your account transferred to the new account and cancel any Direct Debits.

Then you can make a token payment into the Halifax until such times as the situation with the charges has been sorted out by the barristers working on the paperwork at the moment.

IF you have any direct debits that are made out to Halifax axxounts then you must stop those as well. They cannot refuse to allow you to cancel them.

BCOBS

If I do that they put the account into default and then what would happen to the charges?

tosh, I really dont know. Either way, I think they are going to continue to add charges and interest and quite possibly continue to register defaults.

By setting up a parachute account and moving your income away at least you get to say how much you are paying off the overdraft.

BCOBS