style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5405 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

we have just had a final notice from these lovely people and they have demanded minimum payment of £223.20 by noon tomorrow as part repayment of council tax arrears. They called to our house last week and we didnt answer the door. When they left we read the letter they had posted threatening us with police and forcing entry, my husband rung them and they said they would be back to seize goods if they couldnt get payment. all our belongings are from brighthouse and our car is on finance. we have spoke to our council to try and arrange payment but they said they have to wait for the debt to be passed back to them but the baliffs said before that the debt will not be returned to the council. We have appointment booked with the cab to arrange a iva but that isnt for a few weeks other than keeping the doors locked and windows is there anything that we can do. we are not refusing payment of the council tax we are just refusing to pay it to the baliffs

UNLESS you let the bailiff into your home ( do not do this !!) or have a car outside on which a bailiff cany levy then there is NOTHING that the bailiff can do.

He can charge you £24.50 for "attending to levy where no levy was made".

It is important that you WRITE to the company to advise them of your circumstances and to confirm that goods are provided by Brighthouse etc. You will need to provide a payment plan but please do ensure that any offer of repayment is affordable as otherwise the bailiff will simply return back to your home and you will have the same problem again.

Also, by providing a payment proposal you cannot be seen as "wilfully refusing to pay". This is important if the debt is to be returned back to the Council.

Can you PLEASE provide the EXACT wording of the letter that you have received.

this is what is on the letter i recieved today I must now give you 24 hours statutory notice of my intentions to recall and remove your effects, suffcient to satisfy the debt and costs.

To keep cost to yourself to a minimum, I ask that you contact me to arrange a time suitable for us to be allowed access to your premises.

Should you wish to avoid this distressing course of action and the resulting costs incurred.

They have hand written that min payment 223.20 to be paid tomorrow and the debt will not be returned

havent got that letter to hand the part about the police was hand wriiten and said next visit would be with police so they could gain entry. the car finance company told my husband that the car would still belong to them until the very last payment was made and the baliffs could not take it

there not a lot a you can do if you cannot find the letter your word against the bailiffs

a bailiff can lose his licence for doing things like this

i would also be very careful that the bailiff has not levied on your car the bailiff doesn't know your car is on HP and you wouldn't be the first person to have a car levied with no knowledge of it

have you checked how much the liability order sent to the bailiffs was for and how much the bailiff has added in charges

the bailiffs charges are wrong 1st visit if no levy £24.50 second visit £18 if no levy

the bailiff has added £161.53 in charges to this account you must find out what the £119.03 has been added for (levy on car i bet)

this assuming that you have had 2 visits from bailiffs

Edited by hallowitch