• Tweets

• Doc 04-19-2024 11-01-51-merged-compressed.pdf good morning.    9 pages attached.    thank you  UCM
    • Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
    • Your topic title was altered last June 23 by the owner of this forum in the interests of the forum Anyway well done on your result and thank you for concluding your topic, title updated.   Andy   .
    • So what    Why ? Consent Order/ Confidentiality ? This would be be invaluable to followers of your topic.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

HSBC Managed Loan Issues

SpartanKing
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5305 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone. I have reposted this issue as a new thread on the advice of JonnyMitch. Below is the original post I had and the initial information Jonny gave me. For the record I have already requested CCA for the managed loan and received a copy of the agreement that as far as I can see seems to be in order. So if anyone else can help whith any further advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted by SpartanKing viewpost.gif

Hey Jonny,

Hi SpartanKing , welcome to the forum :-)

You seem to be pretty clued up on some of this stuff and was wondering if you can help me.

I have just joined this forum as I am keen to see if any of my credit agreements are unenforceable.

I presently have an issue with a couple of things to do with HSBC and was wondering if you could asist and give me some useful advice on this one.

Firstly I had a £25,000 unsecured loan with HSBC in 2004 which I paid for 2 years before it was restructured into a manged loan as I could not afford the repayments of over £600 a month. My question is, can I still contest this original personal loan, and if it is unenforceable, what I am entitled to?

I must admit I'm not sure about this one, SK , you could ask them via a CCA for a copy of the original agreement , but if it was restructured into another loan , they may say they haven't got it, although they should have if it finished less than 6 years ago (2006?)

Secondly, I now wish to contest the managed loan and have received the CCA which appears to be in order, however:

1: Having read all about what constitutes an enforceable agreement I think they have covered everything, however they have never notified me of any changes on the interest, or how this would affect my monthly payments which it says they will in the agreement. Is this grounds for anything? Or is there anything I can address which I may have missed?

A Managed Loan is supposed to be a temporary measure to tide you over a rough , financial period - it's not suppposed to be long-term and should be reviewed periodically to see if if can be re-strutured to your advantage - not theirs....... if no reviews have been done you may have a case to report this to the FOS - it may constitute a breach of the Managed Loan agreement , which you should also ask for as part of your CCA Request .

2. Most importantly. If the original personal loan can be contested and found to be unenforceable, then does that mean by default that the managed loan also becomes null and void as a result of being established to cover the original personal loan that was unenforceable?

I think it's best to take the CCA route first to find out exactly what they've got on you - see if they can produce viable agreements - then you can work out your next moves from that point ....

Some quality knowledge and advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Spartan

I'm no expert SK, but I've picked up a few bits and pieces along the way - no doubt if I'm wrong though ,someone will jump in and say so ......

By all means come back and ask if you're still in doubt - someone will answer , and we're user-friendly .... :grin:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi SK , thanks for setting up your own thread :)

For the record I have already requested CCA for the managed loan and received a copy of the agreement that as far as I can see seems to be in order.

Does the agreement say anything about periodic reviews of the Managed Loan ?

Or were you made aware when you were forced into a ML from a previously unsecured loan that it was a temporary measure until you got back on your financial feet ?

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

Hi JM.

As far as I can see the agreement does not mention anything about the Managed Loan being a temporary facility, nor was anything ever explained to me that any reviews would take place, or that it was a facility to assist me in getting back on my financial feet.

However the agreement does state that:

The repayment details below assume no changes in the interest rate. If it changes, we will notify you of the revised repayment details in accordance with clause 10 of the loan terms.

Clause 10: We may change the amount and/or the number of your repaymets and the period of the loan to take account any changes of our base rate after the date of this agreement or if you do not make your repayments on time. We will give you 7 days notice in writing of any such changes.

Now given that the Bank of England base rate has tumbled over the last 8 months, and that my agreement is variable at 7.00% above base rate, I would have imagined that there would have been some serious reductions I should have been entitled to, just like I have had with my mortgage? Yet I have never received a single piece of paper or a phone call regarding anything to do with my ML until I was unable to continue making the repayments of the ML, I have since received a phone call every single day...lol.

Clause 10: We may change the amount and/or the number of your repaymets and the period of the loan to take account any changes of our base rate after the date of this agreement or if you do not make your repayments on time. We will give you 7 days notice in writing of any such changes.

The operative words here SK are 'our base rate' - that's not the B of E base rate they're referring to - it's their own , which quite conceivably hasn't changed , even though the B of E rate has gone through the floor ... because they're greedy beggars !

When your Loan was re-structured to Managed Loan - did you sign a new agreement , or did they just railroad you onto it from the old one ?

As for phone calls , tell them once that you don't want to communicate by phone only in writing and if they ignore that , come back and we'll sort out a letter for them ....... and of course if you don't answer their security questions , they can't talk to you anyway ...... :D

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I did sign a new agreement, of which I have a copy after a CCA request. As for the base rate thing I was sure that banks base rate was normally about a point above B of E rate, and alot of pressure was put on those who werent pasing this on to their customers, of which HSBC were?

That's what they were supposed to do SK , but did they ? If they did you should have been notified ..... may be an idea to get someone to ring up and ask what their current rate is - unless 'yourbank' can help us with this one ? :)

Edited by johnnymitch

Nemo me impune lacessit

I have requested CCA for the original personal loan now as well as requesting information as to what the HSBC base rate has been over the last 2 years and the dates that any changes took affect.

I shall inform you of their response and we can take it from there. Thank you for your assistance so far.

SK

Right, I have a copy of the original CCA for the personal loan that got all of this started. I was thinking that it may be best to scan and email these to you JM so you can take a look at them and give me your opinion on them.

If you agree then please send me your email address and I will send the scanned documents to you for your thoughts.

SK

Can you post them up on here please , spartanking , using photobucket or equivalent ....... that way more people on site can see and give advice on them .

Thanks

johnny :)

Nemo me impune lacessit

• 2 weeks later...

Hi JM,

I have received all the documents from HSBC now, including a copy of all of the base rates and changes that have taken place. I have scanned them as PDF files and attached them for yours, and anyone elses perusal.

I do not know whether my thoughts are correct here, but it is eveident that the base rate has changed several times, yet HSBC have never once in 2 years notified me of it, or how this affects the alleged agreeement/payments etc, contrary to what they say in their agreement in clause 10.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this, plus anything elase you may wish to add after looking at the documents. I have atached the original personal loan of 2004, the managed loan of 2006/7 which has 3 parts and the base rates.

Regards, SK.

personal loan cca.pdf

managed loan.pdf

ML Key Info.pdf

HSBC Base Rates.pdf

Edited by SpartanKing

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Johnny, or anyone else. Can you help me with any of the above please. All the agreements are now attached and please see previous posts for requested help and advice please.

Anyones useful help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

SK

Hi SK , I've asked if a member of the Site Team can have a look ----- this should get the help you need ..... :)

Nemo me impune lacessit

I notice you had PPI on at least one loan....what is the status of this at the moment ? have you defaulted at all ? I'm not 100% on this but the agreement would seem to be ok.....(i'm not an expert on this)....

• Haha 1

42 Man,

From what I can gather the PPI was refunded when the original personal loan was consolidated in the Managed Loan.

I was just hoping that a breach would be evident on the managed loan as a result of never having been informed of any changes in rates or interest as a result of changes in the base rate?

I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

SK

One of the site team has left this comment for you. HTH

The personal loan agreement is not properly executed as the APR is wrong for the main loan - it is actually 9.2% not 8.9% and this is outside the tolerance allowed by schedule 7 of the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983. It can therefore only be enforced by court order under s65 CCA 1974.

Unusually, this lender has actually got the agreement right in terms of s18 - multiple agreements although I think it should probably have seperate signatures for the main loan and PPI as the two bits are treated as seperate agreements. THis could make it unenforceable under s127.

The managed loan is not properly executed because the TCC is wrong (how can a multyiple of £400 be anything with 79p on the end) The APR is correct (12.7%) based on 86 payments of £400 giving a TCC of £11438 but there is a sum of £58.79 missing somewhere. Again, it can therefore only be enforced by court order. Depending on where the missing amount is, it could render the agreement unenforceable under s127.

• Haha 2

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Citizen B,

You are an absolute star. As a result of your findings here. Am I entitled to be able to ask for anything back with regard to what I have paid with the Original personal Loan? And will I be able to request back any money paid on the Managed Loan if they do not contest my dispute?

More importantly, if the original personal loan was is potentially unenforceable, then does it mean that the follow up Managed Loan to consolidate it is null and void?

If you have any kind of template letter, or excerpts that I should include in a letter that I will send to them I would be very grateful.

Your pearls of wisdom are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

SK

Edited by SpartanKing

SK, the above information was provided by steven4064, I will see if he is able to offer any further advice for you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

SK

I am not sure whether the personal loan agreement was unenforceable or not and I think you would have had a hard time pursuading a court not to enforce it.

However, you are saying that the personal loan was paid off by the managed loan, therefore the agreement is no more. The managed laon is now what is in force.

However, the presence of PPI in the original loan further complicates the issue IMHO as that ought to have been listed seperately in the managed loan - the original loan agreement was a multiple agreement and this one ought to be one too as you are still paying the insurance premium with it. That means the prescribed terms are even more wrong than I thought. My feeling is that this loan is therefore unenforceable by a court.

This fact is only helpful to you on certain circumstances:

1. they take you to court for it

2. you take them to court under s142 of the CCA 1974

3. you could use the fact that the agreement is unenforceable to make them a full and final offer to settle of something between 5p and 15p in the pound.

Steven,

Thanks for your input on this matter, however I do not fully understand all the information you have given me here.

Firstly, I understand that the original personal loan is no longer. As for the Managed Loan, naturally this is still ongoing, but I do not have any insurance with htis. The PPI was only with the personal loan and ended when it was consolidated with the ML.

Does this alter things in any way? Personally I am just looking for a way to get rid of this agreement as since I had the original personal loan I have paid back approx £20k yet I am still owing £19k!

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

SK

Just thought I'd add my bit here. I am NOT an expert but have now endured the bitter hard edged swords of HSBC. I'm not bad on the phone though! ;) Hey they hardly ever call me now.

In my case I have not been offered a managed loan - thank god - as I have no disposable income to play with. I think people have to consider carefully about entering into further commitments with the bak (or whoever) because it might seem good at the begining but can be drastic if things go wrong and you (often due to no fault of your own) miss payments or don't adhere exactly to the letter of the agreement. Before signing anything, read it carefully and ask questions. They hate being asked questions you know!

I always ask if it's an incentive to subject yourself to misery probably for years to come if you see your CRA data is abymisal. Banks will say 'it's the law' a bit too often to have you adhere to their requirements. I've even been told by an HSBC (India call centre) 'service man' that the bank must adhere to the law of the FSA and then I 'tore him to bits verbally'. His 3 years employment (yes he told me that after I worried him) must have flashed through his mind after that ridiculous comment he made and my subsequent responce.

I appreciate there are people here who are so helpful, clever and as wise as the banks and for me when I think it's all over another blip appears. Make sure you open a parachute account because they will think nothing of closing your current account if you falter - They will tell you though - once you call them to ask what happened. :eek: I've endured the ATM card vanishing more than once and when I call 'We've arranged for a replacement to be sent to you' has swiftly followed.

In fact my offer of suggestion is that if things go wrong distance yourself as mentioned above. You should be in control of your money and not these computer controlled and programmed people.

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

Spartanking, Have you all the paperwork from the original loan (pre managed loan). If not, it might be a good idea to send a Subject Access Request.

If the loan was repaid early by the managed loan then there should have been a rebate or the whole of the premiums with interest repaid if the policy was mis sold.

BCOBS

... but I do not have any insurance with htis. The PPI was only with the personal loan and ended when it was consolidated with the ML.
I think you will find you do - it may not be shown on the agreement but I bet the amount of the ML includes the unpaid part of the PPI premium from the first loan - check the numbers.

Ask HSBC (or the insureer) if the policy is still in effect. If not, ask why not as you are still paying for it.