• Tweets

• Thanks very much Bank. I have topped and tailed my LOC and printed off a copy which I shall post tomorrow by First Class post at my local post office and also obtain a proof of postage. I'll also email them a copy. I've opened a MoneyClaim account, and shall now begin work on my draft Particulars of Claim which I shall post here for your thoughts. And I shan't be using the Moderation service.
    • Yes, it struck me this morning that I'd got it wrong    - no involvement of UKPPO in any previous Tesco thread    - there would have been an entrance sign to a Tesco car park    - CCTV isn't something associated with Tesco car parks. Presumably whoever runs the car park has put CCTV at the electric, and probably BB, areas, done absolutely nothing to stop abuse, and then rubs their hands in glee every time the CCTV catches a motorist out. You can pay £60 and this will go away. Or you can defy UKPPO and rely on their non-respect of POFA, consideration period, etc., should they be daft enough to do court later down the line.  We would support you all the way.
    • thats not the way to do it sorry. sorry so what is your problem? that vanquis paid the £560 or that they are now chasing it? how old is this debt? dx  
    • If you visited Qatar you could be detained at the border, if the debt has been notified.  If you are only in transit and do not seek to cross border into Qatar you might be ok, but you may want to seek formal advice about this.
    • Howdy, I had a short lived credit card with Vanquis that I did not need. I paid it off in full and called them and closed it with the person at the other end. 2 months later they started sending me messages about late payments, I called them and to find out that the card had not been closed in error and 6 weeks after it should have been closed they paid a google debit of £560. I hit the roof and made a formal complaint that took them well over a month to respond to. They agreed they were at fault, refunded all late payments fees and offered me £100 in compensation. However they said the debit amount stood as 'I had benefit from it' and I should get a refund from google. I hit the roof again but they have stuck to their guns. The debit from google is a genuine one but I wanted to dispute it with google so closed the card so they would have to engage with me. But surely that's neither here nor there surely? What is the next step? Ombudsman takes forever doesn't it?  thanks in advance
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Insurance saying no cover, day before final inspection

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5119 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The title says it all really.

I had severe flood damage to my house and on the instructions of the insurance threw out all permanent fixtures including kitchen and flooring so that the house could be dried out.

Reinstatement work has been completed in accordance with the Surveyors Guidelines and within 24 hours of the final inspection to assess the completed work I was told that no cover was in place.

This obviously leaves several unhappy builders screaming at me.

Can this be done at the last minute in this way?

Edited by sutton6344
change

I think the first thing you need to do is find out exactly why they are saying you have no cover. It could be due to any number of things, for example the policy expiring just before the flood occurred, that your policy didn't cover you for flood damage (which would be unusual), that the broker didn't pass on the premium to the insurer, payments being missed etc or it could be a systems fault at their end.

Who authorised the repairs, did the Insurer concerned authorise the builders directly or did they authorise you to instruct the builders to start the repair work. Or did you instruct them off your own bat?

Mossy

Can you please find out why they have repudiated the claim?

Without this, we are unable to determine why they withdraw their decision to cover the claim.

They say there was a problem with the direct debit payment in May 2008 and the policy was cancelled accordingly.

When was the date of loss (Flood)?

Did the Insurers or Third Party Finance Company send you a letter advising that the month's premium was unpaid? If so, what action did you take and what was the date of this letter relative to the date of the flood?

H

When was the date of loss (Flood)?

Did the Insurers or Third Party Finance Company send you a letter advising that the month's premium was unpaid? If so, what action did you take and what was the date of this letter relative to the date of the flood?

H

The flood was in January 2009

They sent me a letter in July 2009 advising the premium was unpaid and policy cancelled, this was the day before the final inspection.

I immediataly offered to pay any shortfall that can be confirmed.

Please clarify:-

You say 'They say there was a problem with the direct debit payment in May 2008 and the policy was cancelled accordingly.' and then 'They sent me a letter in July 2009 advising the premium was unpaid and policy cancelled, this was the day before the final inspection.'

So is it correct that NO premiums were paid May 2008 onwards and you did not notice? The flood occurred 8 months later and you notified the Insurers who having checked your records appointed Loss Adjusters who dealt and some six months later have decided cover is not operative as cover was cancelled over a years past. Something is definitely not right????

So is it correct that NO premiums were paid May 2008 onwards and you did not notice? The flood occurred 8 months later and you notified the Insurers who having checked your records appointed Loss Adjusters who dealt and some six months later have decided cover is not operative as cover was cancelled over a years past. Something is definitely not right????

That's what happened in a nutshell!!! Although contents insurance did continue to be deducted on the same day!!!

• 4 months later...

Hi.. Basically despite over 50 emails discussing the progress of the work and £7k already paid out for drying costs, the insurance cancelled the final inspection due to a payment error 12 months previoiusly (they didn't try to collect failed payment when previously they had). In one of their emails they even asked me to clarify the address to post the cheque.

Since this, I have sent another 50 emails and have hit a brick wall.

Now that floods are in the news and considering Axa's new TV advert regarding flood victims, is it now worth contacting the press about this.

Request a copy of all correspondence that has been issued to you since May 2008. If it's not in order, make a formal complaint to the policy underwriting manager. They will send out information for you to contact the Financial Ombudsman so if what they tell you isn't fair, escalate your complaint.

This advice is based on you're being certain that you were not told that the policy was cancelled before the date of the loss.

Edited by MicheleFloyd

Request a copy of all correspondence that has been issued to you since May 2008. If it's not in order, make a formal complaint to the policy underwriting manager. They will send out information for you to contact the Financial Ombudsman so if what they tell you isn't fair, escalate your complaint.

This advice is based on you're being certain that you were not told that the policy was cancelled before the date of the loss.

The Insurers will argue that the policyholder was aware that payments were not been taken from their bank since May 2008, which is a reasonable arguement and will stand up in Court.

The OP cannot reasonably argue that they were unaware that payments were not been taken for such a long period of time.

Mossy

Now that floods are in the news and considering Axa's new TV advert regarding flood victims, is it now worth contacting the press about this.

I'm not so sure how that would work in your favour, basically you haven't paid any installments on your policy since May 2008, 8 months before the loss occurred.

If the policy was cancelled because of non payment then it was cancelled and you had no cover when the damage occurred

Mossy

I know they can backdate the cancellation to the date of nonpayment but I was under the impression there was a duty for insurers to notify the policyholder of cancellation as per the FSA guidelines. A quick re-print of the insured's documentation history will probably reveal he was issued a cancellation notice last year. If it was lost in the post, I would say that he was out of luck. If they never issued it, he's got a fighting chance. He could argue that he did not know that the payments were not taken out and because the insurer paid the claim, he was given the impression that he was on cover. He could argue that his decisions on how to handle his loss would have been affected had the insurer properly checked his cover before giving the go ahead for repairs. He might have done the work as DIY, sold the house or who knows what.

Just my opinion, mind you.

I He could argue that he did not know that the payments were not taken out and because the insurer paid the claim, he was given the impression that he was on cover.

Just my opinion, mind you.

I'm not sure I follow your argument there, the OP hasn't paid any monthly installments since May08, if it goes to Court the insurers will argue it is reasonable to assume that a person would notice that no payments had been taken from their account under a direct debit for the last 8 months, and I don't see that the insurer hasn't paid any claim since cancellation.

The insurers acted to expediate matters and proceeded as they should and then discovered the OP had a cancelled policy.

Mossy

I'm not sure I follow your argument there, the OP hasn't paid any monthly installments since May08, if it goes to Court the insurers will argue it is reasonable to assume that a person would notice that no payments had been taken from their account under a direct debit for the last 8 months, and I don't see that the insurer hasn't paid any claim since cancellation.

Well the insurance didn't notice for the 4 or 5 months whilst they were instructing me to carry out the work to their specification.

Well the insurance didn't notice for the 4 or 5 months whilst they were instructing me to carry out the work to their specification.

That's your only argument (and I personally think (and hope) you will succeed with it)), that you acted as you did because you were instructed by your insurers, and had they not told you to do something or advised you earlier that there was a problem with your policy then you wouldn't have incurred the expenses you did.

I'm also hoping that they instructed the builders etc and NOT you, if so then they have a bigger problem than simply saying the policy was cancelled

Good luck

Mossy

The OP cannot reasonably argue that they were unaware that payments were not been taken for such a long period of time.

I'm not sure I would have noticed if, as the OP said, the same insurers continued to DD payments at the same point in the month for contents cover.

using the same logic, the insurance cannot reasonably argue they were unaware of the same for the period of time they were instructing work to their specification.

I'm not sure I would have noticed if, as the OP said, the same insurers continued to DD payments at the same point in the month for contents cover.

Is it standard practice for buildings and contents policies to be recommended seperately when taken out at the same time ?

The insurers acted to expediate matters and proceeded as they should and then discovered the OP had a cancelled policy.

Mossy

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the insurer is incorrect in denying cover due to nonpayment, but they might well have to eat the costs of his claim due to their not following proper procedures (assuming they did.)

I have known someone who didn't notice a DD had gone out for quite a few months, which is negligent and hands a good portion of the blame to the policyholder. But the insurer's mistakes in this case might cause them to reconsider their position and make him a "go away" offer.