mobile speed camera....HELP!!!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5399 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi guys, i was driving up to plymouth on the duel carrage way on saturday.as i came over the brow of a hill i noticed a mobile speed van about 300 meters ahead of me at the bottom of the hill! it was really quite a distance away. i was doing 80 at the time and slowed down to 70 as soon as i saw it.the van seemed so far away that i could even make out it was a speed van until i got closer but slowed down anyway!there where plenty of cars in front of me and we where all doing the same speed. i am wondering....what are the chances of getting caught? do i have to be within a certan distance for a van to "zap" you, and will they give me a ticket for doing 80 in a 70?

any information would be welcome.

You will only know for sure if a NIP arrives at the Registered Keeper's address within the next 14 days.

To answer your individual questions:

1) you can be caught by a laser at up to 900 metres.

2) you can be prosecuted for doing 71 in a 70 limit, but ACPO guidelines state limit + 10% + 2 (ie 79mph) before prosecution.

3) as it is an offence for a car speedometer to under read at any speed, most are set to over read to be sure. So your indicated 80 mph may well have been about 72-73 mph in reality

I agree with patdavies in that if you are genuinely correct that your speedo was only registering 80mph, then you actual speed was unlikely to be much above 75mph and if ACPO guidelines were being applied you will not be prosecuted at this speed.

14 days to sweat it out though. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

hi everyone, just to keep you posted. i rang my lease comapny today and they confirmed they had had nothing through the post about the speeding, and now its been over 14 days i would be in the clear! thanks for you advice everyone!

overandout