I need help,numerous debt collectors chasing me.Please help?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5402 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've got myself into abit of a mess.Over the past couple of months i've had numerous debt collectors chasing me for old debts.

2 are from wescott,One debt is in dispute.

The other is for bt,I changed broad band and phone line supplier,i phone bt to check that my contract was due up,in which it was and was told by them that all i would have to pay is calls made.So i made the switch

i then got a final bill paid that and thought that was the end of it.I then got a letter from wescott telling me i owed bt 194.55.I phoned them to dispute this debt they then told me it was for broadband as it was an 18mth contract and not 12 mths for the line rental,as you can imagine i wasn't impressed.I then phoned bt,they apologised but said that there was nothing that they could do as the debt was now out of there hands.

Another debt is with capquest which i'm paying but struggling.

I also have another debt collector on my case for over £700 for an old address in 2006,i moved out of this property in 2005,and am currently paying another debt collector for the same water rates at another address for the same year.I told them this but they didn't listen.

I also have another debt collector chasing me for £200 for a mobile phone contract which is currently going through northamptonshire county courts.I needed to supply them proof that i am in reciept of benefits which i am in the process of doing.

I also have a couple of other small debts i'm paying at the moment too.I am really struggling at the moment as a big chunk of my benefits are going on debts or will be,can anybody advise on what i can.I have read other threads and noticed that some people are making token payments of £1,is this something i can also do.Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I've got myself into abit of a mess.Over the past couple of months i've had numerous debt collectors chasing me for old debts.

2 are from wescott,One debt is in dispute.

The other is for bt,I changed broad band and phone line supplier,i phone bt to check that my contract was due up,in which it was and was told by them that all i would have to pay is calls made.So i made the switch

i then got a final bill paid that and thought that was the end of it.I then got a letter from wescott telling me i owed bt 194.55.I phoned them to dispute this debt they then told me it was for broadband as it was an 18mth contract and not 12 mths for the line rental,as you can imagine i wasn't impressed.I then phoned bt,they apologised but said that there was nothing that they could do as the debt was now out of there hands.

Send Wescot the prove it letter - it's then up to them to show you actually owe this money.

Dear Sir/Madam

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

Yours etc

Another debt is with capquest which i'm paying but struggling.

What's this for? Are you sure they have the right to collect?

I also have another debt collector on my case for over £700 for an old address in 2006,i moved out of this property in 2005,and am currently paying another debt collector for the same water rates at another address for the same year.I told them this but they didn't listen.

Again, it is up to them to prove you owe the money, so also send them the prove it letter too.

I also have another debt collector chasing me for £200 for a mobile phone contract which is currently going through northamptonshire county courts.I needed to supply them proof that i am in reciept of benefits which i am in the process of doing.

Do you actually owe this money? As it is at the stage of a court claim, it may be better for you start a separate thread about this one. However, as you are on benefits, it's highly likely a Judge will make an order that you pay a £1, especially when they see you income and expenditure - no doubt you will have very little left over each month ;)

I also have a couple of other small debts i'm paying at the moment too.I am really struggling at the moment as a big chunk of my benefits are going on debts or will be,can anybody advise on what i can.I have read other threads and noticed that some people are making token payments of £1,is this something i can also do.Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

No DCA has the right to demand ANY money from you - only a Judge can do this. As you are on benefits, you can write to them stating your case and offer them small payments of £1 a month. However, I would send the prove it letters above to the 2 I have stated.

If any of these debts are for credit cards/loans, then you can send a CCA request. I will explain more if needed.

Hi,thanks for your quick reply.The debt i'm currently paying capquest is for water rates which is my debt and i'm paying.I'll be finished paying this debt around christmas.

None of my debts are from loans or credit cards.

I will do as you've said.In regards to the prove it letters can i do this to all the debt collectors who i currently dispute over owing debts too?And if they do send me proof that i do indeed owe them,should i also offer £1 a month to them?As i know i'm going to be paying quite afew debt collectors.