Re: Number Plates On A Vehicle

smbird090177
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5404 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please Help.

I do not have all the facts but.....

Someone i know bought a car, bearing in mind i'm writing this and do not drive. After a few years of owning the car (at least 3 years) the DVLA have contacted them saying they want the number plates back claiming that they are not the rightfull owners of that plate.

I do believe that they are either claiming that there are 2 sets of that plate out there or that they have sold that plate to someone else and are demanding their plate back.

Could someone please advise as to their rights.

They did buy the car with these plates so therefore are they the owners regardless of anything?

Bet England To Win The World Cup - Join Facebook group

http://www.bet-england-to-win-world-cup.co.uk

The VRM remains the property of DVLA at all times and can be revoked by then at any time,

Your mate owns the actual, physical plates and they remain his property, but if DVLA have revoked the VRM, he can't display those plates on the public highway. They are entitled to have the V5 back.

He needs to find out a lot more from DVLA ask to what is happening here. He may have bought a ringer or a cloned car or simply the original garage messed up when during their block registration when the car was new.

Did your mate buy the car new, or used from a dealer?.

Is the plate a cherished plate anyway? If your friend bought it with the plates already on, chances are even if it is a "private reg" then it probably has no significance to him anyway.

If that is the case, does it matter that the DVLA want it back as they will issue a new appropriate plate for the car free of charge I believe.

I guess that a larger problem occurs when the reg plate is 'collectable' or 'cherished' in some way. I've known this happen before. As others have said - the DVLA should be able to provide a full explanation of what the situation is. It is not uncommon for there to be confusion over cherished plates when a car displaying cherished plates is sold second hand. Quite often the person selling the car may wish to keep that VRM and display it on their next car.

I was unaware that the DVLA could revoke a VRM at anytime. Doesnt this constitute a huge risk if you buy such a VRM at one of their auctions? What are the DVLA actually selling you? Some of these VRMs sell for £25,000+ !!

Ah yes. The old 'cherrished' number business.

I found a way of getting a legal registration plate in the UK with your EXACT name on!

All you do is buy any car. Lets use the example, A123 BCD. The you change your surname by deed poll to Mr (Mrs) A123BCD

Job done.

:D