You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

kp278

New landlord for my rented flat- what happens to existing contract?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4025 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

hi, ive been renting my flat since april 2003. the lettings agent has changed three times in the last six years but always the same landlord. now we have a new landlord. i still have the original 6 month tenancy agreement from 2003 which was with countrywide residential lettings. im not sure if there is any mention of a rolling month agreement being in force after the six months. it has a one month notice requirement from either party.

my question is, is the original tenancy agreement still in force considering:

a) lettings agent is no longer countrywide residential;

b) original landlord is no longer my landlord;

c) there may be no mention of a rolling agreement;

b) i have received no contract or agreement from my new landlord?

the reason i ask is that i have just been offered a council house which i have accepted and i pick up the keys tomorrow. i start paying the rent tomorrow so obviously i'm keen to move in.

is there anything still in place that would legally bestow upon me to give one months notice?

or thinking even deeper, is there anything in place that says i have to pay rent? am i just squatting if no contract is in place? im not looking to pull a fast one on my new landlord and do a midnight flit, but it would be nice if i could move out and not have to forfeit a months rent.

You say you have the tenancy agreement from 2003 - exactly what is it called. Is it and Assured Shorthold Tenancy?

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice

ill have a look when i get home. i think it just says tenancy agreement.

It is just that I think it may be an Assured Shorthold Tenancy in which case it will have automatically rolled over to a periodic (monthly if your original tenancy was monthly) and as such you will have to give a month's notice - such notice to terminate the tenancy at the end of a tenancy payment period (e.g. if your rent is due on 20th of the month, the month's notice must end on 19th of the next month).

You could, of course, just ask your landlord to let you leave early, but I doubt they will. I think you are probably going to have to pay that last month's rent!

Edited by Kentish Lass

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice

is that the same even if the landlord has sold the flat to another landlord? i thought perhaps i would need a new tenancy agreement as my existing agreement would have terminated when the landlord sold the property.... i think...

You are living in the flat, paying rent. You have a tenancy. These regulations are there to protect you, the tenant. The fact that you have a new Landlord is neither here nor there - although he does have to let you know, which he obviously has.

How would you feel if your new landlord had come along and said - oh, I just bought this property and we don't have a contract, you can pack up and go tomorrow????? Why would you think you can do this?

Kentish Lass

please remember this is business, not personal. i'm asking a question regarding contracts, not whether you think my morals are in the right place. of course you do not know the full facts regarding my situation, which is even more reason not to pass judgement.

i appreciate you taking the time to help out in my thread, i really do, but lets keep it on topic. peace :cool:

1) You still have a contract with your new landlord;

2) You need to serve the correct notice (so if you pay rent monthly you will need to serve one full calander months notice ending on the same date in the month that the fixed term came to an end).

3) You need to continue paying rent until your notice has ended. YOu also need to continue paying the relevant bills etc until your notice has ended.

Good luck.