You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4026 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all, im really worried..I have outstanding council tax bills on my prevoius property covering 2 years totalling £3793 (alot of this I susspect is fees), stupidly and due to some very bad personal problems i kept egnoring the letters and calls to my door for the last few months. Last month I realised I had to get my act together and called the company to make arrangements to pay. I was told I could only make payments over 3 months. I was so worried that I agreed to this and made a payment of £97. I was meant to pay £1000 today - not suprizingly I have been unable to get hold of this sort of money and I called Newlyns and explained I am unable to pay but I could make a payment today of £200 they took the payment then told me that the offer of this sum each month could not be accepted and asked me to call the baliff direct, I done this and explained everything to him also offering to make a payment of £50 on Monday. He took my card details to do this I told him that I would be able to pay £200 at the end of the month, he told me this was not acceptable and that I had till 1st August to make payment in full!! Im so worried I cant do this I dont have goods totalling this amount Im not very good face to face with this sort of thing and he sounds very intimedating im so scared is there anything I can do? thanks

hi

first thing you do is stop worrying yourself sick

phone the council find out how much each liability order is for and what date they were both sent to bailiffs

then you e-mail the council telling them that £1000 a month that the bailiff has said you have to pay is an unrealistic amount and the bailiff refuses to accept any less tell the council that you have already made payments totalling £xx and tell them you have given the bailiffs you card details to make a one of payment of £50 on Monday work out how much you can afford and make an offer to pay £xx per month

then you e-mail Newlyn and ask for a breakdown of there charges for each liability order ask them for

time /date amount bailiffs name and reason for the charge

don't let the council tell you its nothing to do with them and its up to the bailiff its not

the council are responsible for the bailiffs as they work for the council as there agents when collection council tax

i would also send an e-mail to your M.P. ask for there help because the bailiff is being unrealistic in the current economic climate

Edited by hallowitch

Firstly I would never have given them my card details, you can pay the council direct whether they like it or not.

The bailiffs are quite aware it's not against the law not to pay them that is not your duty, your duty is to pay the council the tax you owe.

I had a similar problem with roughly the same amount due for 2 or maybe 3 year's, Yes I did have the bailiffs round on 2 ocassions but I told them i WOULD not pay there fee's and would be sending a payment plan to the council which is what I did.

I pay 40.00 weekly and have not missed a payment, the council took the debt back from the bailiffs and I owed them nothing and I had that in writting.

So do yourself a payment plan from what you owe the council and send in payments weekly if you can and stick to the payment plan.

Don't let the bailiffs in what they depend on is you NOT KNOWING your rights.... And that's what they thrive on along with their outrageous fee's they think they can get away with charging you.

The thing is nw they have your card details and COULD try and take money and swear you told them too.

I would cancel that card and order a new one so they can't take whats not theirs

What area do you live in worried sick? I have a case at the courts at the moment with Newlyn. PM me the name of the attending bailiff. Be interested to see if its the same one!

Thanks