You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

Archiem

Debts Of Previous Occupants - Help

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4028 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Help, a family who lived at my address 6 years ago (they sold it and 3 years later that person sold it to me and I've lived here 2 1/2 years) must have had big problems.

Over time I've returned letters "not known at this address" for at least three different people. On average one a week. Now I am begining to open them and call the sender, Westcot and others, who, quite frankly don't want to know (all on premium lines). Today I have a letter from Westcots saying they are taking the person to Court. Luckily it was regarding a debt to Anglia Water, when I called them, they could immediately see that my account was fine, and there had been another account in between me and this other family, and have agreed to contact Westcot to call them off and when requested, agreed to send a letter to us saying that I have no debt with them etc.

However, when asked about the fact that debts were still being posted to this address they said, well don't worry it is not in your name. Don't credit agecies look at an address, and if so, how can I get the address cleared ?

In fact, I was going to change my bank, but every time I filled in a form, I got a message back saying that Credit Reference Agencies didn't recognise my address, please change it. (I might have a problem with that !)

Thanks

I'm pretty sure it's against the law to open other people mail!! I would just carry on sending the letters back marked "Not at this address". The previous occupiers debts should not affect you in anyway as they will be registered against their name, not yours.

As for the bank......I have no idea - maybe you could try updating your address with the CRA's.

:)I am not an expert, but I can give good advice about Brighthouse:)

Am learning more and more about DCA's too :)

I have no legal experience and all advice given is based on the knowledge I've gained from this site.

<------If you think I have been helpful, please feel free to tip my scales - remember to put your CAG name though!

Any credit check will not associate you with somebody else. I'd suggest you keep sending back any letters that keep arriving for other people. Opening another persons mail knowingly is illegal....although i'd doubt if anybody would prosecute or bring charges in the circumstances...

PLEASE NOTE - I am not a legal expert, what is stated is my own opinion and from what I have learnt from this forum and my own experiences.

DEBT COLLECTION LETTER/SAR/AGREEMENT TEMPLATES ARE HERE - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?65-legislation

IF WE HAVE BEEN HELPFUL -PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE GIVE A DONATION TO HELP US TO CONTINUE HELPING YOU

I AM HAPPY TO RECEIVE PM's AND I WILL RESPOND IF I FEEL I CAN ASSIST BUT WHEN YOU DO CAN YOU PLEASE PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD ON WHICH YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO COMMENT - THANK YOU

IMPORTANT - If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.

Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are/or could be seen to be inappropriate for posting on the main forum.Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you are approached by private message with a view to asking you to visit another website,please inform the site team via the report icon.

Forum rules - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forum-rules-please-read/9-forum-rules-please-read.html

Its easy in the morning all bleary eyed not to notice whos name was on the envelope when you tear it open ;)

I made this error at my old address and it stopped the letters

Be good if the letters were actually opened and actioned when they are returned "not known", but they keep on sending .... If the baliffs come calling I'll have to send them back too !

Aren't these "credit services" supposed to actually track down the named person, it seems a bit stupid that a utility company passes the bill to them, in the full knowledge that more than one new occupant have moved in (twice) and they have opened accounts in their name and aren't owed money by a current occupants. I would have thought the reason for sending the debt to Westcots at this stage was for them to actually bother to trace the debtor not hound the current occupants

These are DCA's we are talking about here.......they are not the cleverest bunch of people. They just send out random letters in the hope that someone will pay up, regardless of whether they have the right person or not.

Wescot are usually easy to get rid of (I have done many a time), but the only thing you can do is keep sending the letters back. Maybe complain to trading standards - they might contact Wescot on your behalf.......who knows though.

:)I am not an expert, but I can give good advice about Brighthouse:)

Am learning more and more about DCA's too :)

I have no legal experience and all advice given is based on the knowledge I've gained from this site.

<------If you think I have been helpful, please feel free to tip my scales - remember to put your CAG name though!

Well if I hadn't made the mistake of opening the letter, what would I do when the baliffs turned up, they wouldn't believe I wasn't that person on the basis that I could have opened the letter and sorted out the situation.

Oh I'm glad I've got a dog