Techy help please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5403 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a laptop with 80gig memory. The memory is split into 2 drives for some reason. Drive C and drive D. Drive C is now full, but when I try to install anything, it says I don't have enough memory. I had another laptop a while ago with the same problem, but that one just seemed to merge the 2 together to have just drive C with 80gig memory. I can't remember hoe that actually happened though. I have tried formatting drive D but no joy. It just says that there is nearly 40 gig available space, I just don't know how to use it though.:confused:

Help will be much appreciated.

Thanks guys

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

best thing to do in this case is to move all non essential files and data to drive D, and use drive c to install programs,

if you re-route your documents and settings this will allow you to save anything automatically to the D drive

Thanks PGH7447, all sounds a bit complicated though. As I said, my other laptop was the same but somehow the C and D drives just merged into one and all I had was a C drive with full memory. That would be the ideal thing for me. Just reading the help section of disk management is making me queazy. I bought a laptop with a 80gig memory capacity and it is only a single Celeron processor, so why have they split it in 2?

It depends on how it was formatted in the build stage if they split the hard drive into 2 then the only way you could get it back together is to either buy some software or look for a freeby on the net tha allows this to happen. the downside is that there is a good chance that you may loose everything on the c drive

Partition Magic (now Symantec) or

Acronis Partition Manager (now only sold as part of a suite called Disk Director Suite 10)

whats the operating system if its vista then you could try this

Go to the Start menu and open Control Panel

2. Select the System and Maintenance option if you are using the Control Panel Home View and Administrative Tools if you are using the Classic View

3. In the Administrative Tools section, select Create and format disk partitions

4. For Classic View users, select the Computer Management option and select . When done, click Disk Management

5. When the list of your drive is displayed, choose the one with which you want to merge your partitioned drive with (e.g. disk D:) and select Delete Volume

6. Hence, select your drive C: and the option Extend Volume. You computer will automatically select empty available spaces on your hard disk, and you can alter them if you wish to do so.

Thanks PGH7447, that done the trick. Will try and find you elsewhere and click your scales.

Thanks again:D.

SOD'EM, I knew you had broken it :p

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert