Bailiff & Council Tax - He came today and scared me!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5413 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I owe £590 in unpaid council tax I stupidly did not get it sorted with the council ( excuse is had the letter came week I gave birth to my son while also having a 10 month old daughter and 3 other young children and suffering kidney failure I was just head on another planet mode)

Anyway they took me to court - got letter from court to say I had to pay - next thing I know opened the door today to find a great big guy glaring at me (5ft little me).

He was very loud spoken , aggressive tone and very intimidating.

He said you owe council tax - I said I knew that.

He said well I have to come in and take note of goods - I said no way are you coming in my house - he said he has right - I stood firm and told him no!

He then said he would make note that I was unreasonable and was refusing to pay.

I said I was not in a position to discudd repayments with him but would happily phone or write with income proof to Rossendales and make arrangements to pay,

He said no good and unless paid in 5 days he was coming with a van and more costs and he would enter and take my goods.

He also commented that it would be easy to do as my front door has wooden frame!

I was bloody terrified!

He also insisted the council demanded the payments be made in 20 weeks but I can not find now over £600 with his charges in 4 months!

HHHHHEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP I do not want him back !

Yes they can so keep windows closed and doors locked but most of all remember not to panic as long as they haven't been into your house then they have very limted power> stick with the forum and one of the big guns will give u more advice.:)

All advice offered is based purely on my own dealings and the help and support i have had from this site.

Copying an of my postings is perfectly fine with me but you may wish to check the spellings.:D

legally yes but most bailiffs don't

it goes like this

keep all doors locked

keep all downstairs windows closed

if you have a car (not on H,P, ) move it

if you have a garden with a shed lock it move all garden things table chairs /tools

if he comes to the door do not open it if you must talk to him do it behind the locked door or upstairs window

record conversations if possible

this includes phone calls

ok lets get going

you poor soul

that must have been a rather nasty shock.

dont pay attention to his threats for a start, he should not be making them.

the bit about the door frame & coming back and entering to take goods is a threat that he cannot make/do either.

bailliffs CANNOT force entry on council tax issues.

he also can only charge set amounts [£24 1st +£18 2nd visit] thats it unless he makes a walk-in possession order.

ok, now have you contacted the council about this debt in the last 10days?

if not do so, & see if you can set up a payment plan with them.

i would also COMPLAIN about the bailliffs actions

THEY are responsible for the actions of the bailliffs they employ.

Rossendales are well known for these tactics.

now what is your income? if its benefits then again you could be classed as vunerable so should not be targetted at all.

use the search in the blue bar above for Rossendales and do some reading

the more you read the stronger you become.

we are all here to help

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hiya - I phoned the council straight away they were really nice but said as it was in Rossendales hands I had to deal with them but she would note on my file I was not being unco-operative I also told her how nasty he was.

I phoned rossendales 5 times but had no reply.

My partner claims ESA for himselfe and I am on his claim

We have 5 children 10 - 7 - 6 - 13 months and 8 weeks old.

I dare not even go to bed terrified he gonna come back while I sleep. He said he would be back in 5 days with a van which would cost £100 and something which I would also have to pay.

The bailiff has a right to come into your home....by peaceful means ONLY. You have every right to refuse him entry. The bailiff has made a 1st visit for which he can ONLY charge £24.50 and he can make a further chargeable visit of £18.00.

The bailiff will be trying to get addditional fees by charging for a "van fee" but he CANNOT charge this UNLESS a valid prior levy had been made on your goods

I would suggest sending a TEXT MESSAGE to the bailiff to advise him that you will not allow a bailiff into your home as to do so will incur you in additional charges that you would have difficulty in repaying and that you have written to his company with a payment proposal.

ENSURE that you WRITE to Rossendales with a payment proposal and make SURE that you mention the benefits that your partner receives and that you have recently had a baby. Your circumstances should be classed as vulnerable.

Finally, ensure that you do NOT have a car outside of your home as the bailiff can levy on it or even clamp the vehicle.

I do not own a car and nothing in my garden but a few plants and my dustbin.

I have a blank levy and walk in possetion form and a few payments slips but no mobile number to text just rossendales 0845 number

Mumto5,

Follow the advice given about not leaving your doors or windows open.

Do not accept what the council has told you and don't take no for an answer. Tell them that it's their responsibility, it's their debt you owe and you will be paying them directly. Insist you cannot afford the bailiffs fees and would rather come to an agreement with them so the debt can be paid off earlier and it's in both parties interest to do so.

It may seem a bit scary dealing with these idiots but so far you have done the right thing and stood your ground. Don't be intimidated as he can't break in and it's all empty threats and ones that you should put in writing to the council as a basis on why you are refusing to deal with their appointed representatives. You could also complain to the baliff company and the court but it seems you have enough to contend with at the moment without the added stress.

Make sure you are claiming all the benefits you are entitled to...

Don't speak to the baliffs at all, just ignore them and their letters.

I've been dealing with baliffs for years (not just for myself) and haven't yet paid anything in charges to them (Bristow & Sutor).

If you can afford to keep up to date with the payments due from now on then make an offer on top of that of £10 per month or whatever you can realistically afford. You should also send them an income and expenditure form telling them of your circumstances. They may ask you to set up a DD so they can recover the arrears at the agreed rate.

It may take a few calls to sort out but do persist and ask to speak to people with authority.

Ensure you are claming all the benefits you are entitled to and don't be afraid to ask if you aren't sure. It's people that can afford to pay but won't that they come down heavily on, not ones who are struggling to cope but are doing their best to address it.

Take care.