Sky didnt stop direct debit despite being cancelled***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5344 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey Guys

a couple of years ago I cancelled my Sky+ subscription and moved house (it had cleared minimum contract). Long story short, they cancelled all the subsciption except the "+"pvr facility. As I didnt live at that address and didn't use that box I had no idea they had done this.

For some two+years they continued to debit the account of £9.75 a month until eventually I noticed. I have now spent three weeks trying to sort this out with sky and get the refund they initialy promised me of £200+ quid until yesterday, the "senior" customer services rep then told me there was no record of this!!!!!!

When I originaly cancelled I told them to cancel ALL services to that box and they assured me at the time they had.

Anyone any suggestions? Thanks!!!!

(please dont start on about "how did you not notice?", im not in the mood)

Always ALWAYS cancel DD's with the bank as well!!

YOU have the proof through bank statements that they have been taking the money - so they can't win really. Send them copies, and demand a refund in full.

Hmmmmm - I'm not sure about legal rights unfortunately but I'm still pretty certain you can claim back all the money they have taken.

Just write to them, with copies of your statements and ask them to prove what these payments were for. You can then take it from there if they still refuse. Based on what you have said, the only reason for them refusing so far is that they have no records. Once you send them the proof, then they cannot deny taking payments.

oh ,.... they have records alright! The first guy I spoke to identified the amounts and told me exactly how much it was I was owed back. I've now done this check myself looking at my (online) statements and I concur with his amount.

I will ring them for a fith time later this afternoon if Sally ****** doesn't call me back as she promised to do last night.

Anyone else know the legal position? I'm sensing this might need to go to an LBA ......

Hi,

I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think I am:)

When Sky+ first came out, they charged a separate amount for the PVR function but dropped it a couple of years back when they stopped supplying the standard Sky boxes.

When I was reading up on it there was a paragraph about if you cancel the Sky subscription and continue to use the Sky+ box as a PVR then the PVR subscription will still apply.

What should have happened when you cancelled your subscription was that Sky should have asked about the PVR and whether you wanted to keep it or not.

After all that waffle, I think you should claim back the payments.

If sky refuse, I would complain and also SAR them to see what is on their system.

IdainFife is the best person to look at this.

fox

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

....When I was reading up on it there was a paragraph about if you cancel the Sky subscription and continue to use the Sky+ box as a PVR then the PVR subscription will still apply.

Cheers.

They'd have a hard time proving it, it was in a garage in bits (dead PSU).

I've now phoned them twice more, once yesterday afternoon chasing the phone call back (i didn't get) and told to expect it that afternoon - it STILL didn't happen.

Today I phoned again this morning and started using the "get it sorted on THIS phone call or the next thing you will get will be a Letter before action". The guy I spoke to promised to get it sorted out and in the process had to put me on hold. Whilst on hold I guess there system "timed-out" and cut me off.

I'm no longer going to put up with the messed around on there 0845 rip off number. I've phoned them 6 times now and explained the SAME story at LEAST 12 times. I cannot imagine the hours - literaly! - i've spent on the phone to them over that 0845.

The next step will be the LBA which will include all of the details, phone calls, names, times and statements. They will have 14 days to pay it (as usual) in which I suspect they will cough up. Failing that I will actually take them to Small Claims.

Make it 28 days to pay - they cannot move in a fortnight. If truth be told, you share an equal responsibility to ensure the correct amounts are taken, and you will lose if you challenge them on this - it was your failing too (to notice). Now the good bit. Sky also have an obligation to advise you of the payments they take, if they do not - then they are in breach of the DD rules, where they must provide you with 10 days notice. Now, may may have done this, but if you moved and the mail was returned, this should have alerted them, so they have a greater duty of care here.

Also check with your bank, who may be able to recallsome of the money under the guarantee for the above reason.

this is why I postivley HATE direct debits. So basicaly, im fecked right?

I suspect the tennant living there didn't send any mail back, sadly (but thats another issue).

edit: oh ..... actually they do and DID know i'd moved as I had started up a new account which was linked to the old one. For some bizarre reason, they kept sending the old account bills to the old address.

Edited by StuzaTheGreat

Thread moved.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

DD's are the spawn of the devil. If you give one, you need to stand over your Statements with a virtual shotgun and monitor all the debits. A valuable lesson, but you'll have to work to get your money back. (At least it wasn't Setanta!).

Hi Stuza,

alot of customers do cancel their tv subs and keep the skyplus subs going for the £10/£9.75 per month but as along as it's on the account then there should be no problem.

if they are sending a cheque it will take the 28 days before you receive it.

Have they said that a cheque is in progress? or no refund has been acitoned on the account?

ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

hi stuza,

due to sensitive info I have pm'd you,

but please keep any update son the thread to help others :D

ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

any update yet?

ida x

You madam, are magic!

Just heard from a Karen **** at Sky, very polite and nice lady. All sorted. She is sending me a FULL refund and put £50 credit onto our new account (which is fine as far as I'm concerned). Karen has promised this will be with me with 28 days. And to be honest, I have no reason to doubt her.

She was also at great pains to appologise about the lack of promised phone calls and the telephone system cutting me off on more than one occasion.

Again, thank you Ida!

Good stuff, I'll stick a WON in the title :D

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert