Clamped on University Campus

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5383 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All

I was clamped whilst visiting my Disability Support worker today on my university campus. I have health problems (anxiety and agoraphobia) and I am classed as disabled at uni. I have a badge that I hadn't displayed properly and there was a sign that stated if I parked where I was I'd be clamped.

HOWEVER! The supposed sign was on a piece of white, laminated A4 paper and stuck (sellotaped) to a small salt box, which read:

PLEASE DO NOT MOVE (large font size): Movement of this salt bin will result in the vehicle in this space being clamped (smaller font size).

I did not move the salt bin, which was also covering double yellow lines (on university property). The reason they said they clamped me was because I didn't have my badge showing properly - mind you, you can't get the car inside uni property as the badge lifts the barriers to get the car inside as well! They claimed they were also licensed to clamp vehicles. Is this legal? Please someone advise, they wouldn't take the clamp off until I paid £30.00 (over a weeks food money for me!).

Your advice would be greatly appreciated!

MoochingMinnie

It is an offence under SIA regulations to clamp or immobilse any car displaying a valid disabled badge.

In adition the signage is totally unacceptable as it would not be visible if anyone removed the bin, so how would anyone know?

The sign does not mention parking near or in front of the bin, only if the bin is moved.

I would tell them that they have 24 hours to refund your money or you will have this dealt with by the police. Quote Citizens Advice Bureaux leaftlet in which it clearly states:

It is a SIA requirement that a landowner must not clamp your vehicle if:

it displays a valid disabled badge

is a marked emergency service vehicle attending an emergency.

It is an offence under SIA regulations to clamp or immobilse any car displaying a valid disabled badge.

I don't think the OP had a valid blue badge on display, they only stated "I am classed as disabled at uni".

Hi All

I am registered as disabled with the university and receive support from them, but I don't have a disabled blue badge. In fact, a bloke from disability had to come and pay the £30.00 for me. I was going to stay at university until midnight that day, thankfully I didn't!

They also gave me a notice on my car and a receipt. They haven't provided their SIA number anywhere on either of them.

Are they required by law to provide a contact number and how much they will charge for 'un'clamping a vehicle on their notice? If so, would that be my defence?

Thanks for your comments :D

Hi All

I am registered as disabled with the university and receive support from them, but I don't have a disabled blue badge. In fact, a bloke from disability had to come and pay the £30.00 for me. I was going to stay at university until midnight that day, thankfully I didn't!

Did he pay the 30 quid from uni funds? if so just tell them getting their money back from the PPC is their problem :)

Did he pay the 30 quid from uni funds? if so just tell them getting their money back from the PPC is their problem :)

He actually used his own money bless'im...gives me hope that there are some people left with some integrity :)

Are they required by law to provide a contact number and how much they will charge for 'un'clamping a vehicle on their notice? If so, would that be my defence?

You have to consent to be clamped. The sign is clear that you will be clamped, but doesn't mention any release fee. Therefore you have only agreed to have you car clamped and then released immediately without charge.

Either way, the sign doesn't mention a release fee or being clamped for anything other than moving the salt bin and parking in its place.

Been to talk to the university yet?

Looking at that sign they are very deficient in the requirements detailed in case law and also the SIA requirements.

1. No contact number for release (it must be 24 hours)

2. No release fee stated

Clamping is based on implied consent, if you park in defiance of a sign you can expect to be clamped. As You have not breached the terms on the sign that would they cannot then infer that you gave your consent (i.e. you didn't move the bin).

Under the Private Security Industry regulations the clampers are obliged to give you a receipt which details amount paid, date, time and more importantly the Security Industry Authority (SIA) number of the clamper.

The clamper should also have been wearing his SIA badge. This should have been clearly visible. The SIA badge is a blue and roughly the same size of a credit card (see this link for an example).

If they didn't comply with any of these conditions then it adds to your case.

You should write to the university and the clamper and demand a refund. If they won't play ball then you will probably have to take them to court to recover your money.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Either way, the sign doesn't mention a release fee or being clamped for anything other than moving the salt bin and parking in its place.

Been to talk to the university yet?

Going to speak to someone tomorrow, I just know that when I claim that their sign was ambiguous, etc. they'll say no to a refund. It's the head of security who deals with these matters and he's the only one who makes the final decision, he sounds as though he's an authoritarian and I don't believe he will back down. Give someone generally powerless a little power and it goes to their head so to speak!

Anyway, here goes...:(

Sign is more than ambiguous - it doens't mention a release fee and you didn't move the salt bin and park in its spot!

If you get no joy from the high vis jacket money, I'd talk to the finance desk and ask who in power you could talk to.

I'd be fuming if I was you!! All the way to the chancellor!